Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 28, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #886 of 4,484
I
Does anyone know if a high-end cable fixes the muddy bass of the Stellia and the rough treble?

Focal was so brilliant to change the connectors so that I cannot use my high-end cables from the Focal Utopia’s to test it.
Huh? Muddy bass and rough treble? I guess, if that is how you hear it. I wouldn't be searching for a cable I would be posting in the classifieds.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #887 of 4,484
I find the Stellia to have a great balance. I drive it with a Chord Mojo right now (and stock cables). I don't hear any muddy bass - in fact it is very articulate. More so than on my LCD2 which are known for their bass. Highs are not harsh to me either. I get crystalline bells, good shimmer on cymbals, etc. To each his or her own, but this is definitely a best of class closed headphone. The detail is amazing.

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #888 of 4,484
I find the Stellia to have a great balance. I drive it with a Chord Mojo right now (and stock cables). I don't hear any muddy bass - in fact it is very articulate. More so than on my LCD2 which are known for their bass. Highs are not harsh to me either. I get crystalline bells, good shimmer on cymbals, etc. To each his or her own, but this is definitely a best of class closed headphone. The detail is amazing.
I almost felt I fed a troll...I would like to find another cable but just for ergonomics alone.

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #889 of 4,484
I almost felt I fed a troll...I would like to find another cable but just for ergonomics alone.

Seems like a lot of people like the Arctics cables on eBay. He makes a custom one for the Stella - 8 core Neotech POCC cable with balanced or normal termination. I will most likely end up going there over time. I too find the stock cables too stiff.

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #890 of 4,484
Seems like a lot of people like the Arctics cables on eBay. He makes a custom one for the Stella - 8 core Neotech POCC cable with balanced or normal termination. I will most likely end up going there over time. I too find the stock cables too stiff.
Thank you...it is only about ergonomics, I am not a big cable guy.

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #891 of 4,484

I disagree. The AFC with the tuning pads has a smoother treble response and the bass is more clean than the Stellia.

So far, the Stellia only wins in dynamics / punch and the way it looks while having some points that concerns me.

If a change in cable doesn’t fix it (as the Utopia with a high-end cable sounds excellent), then Focal did some mid bass boosting for sure.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #892 of 4,484

I made myself a 4 core 24-AWG Neotech for a fraction of the cost and can add more as I wish later, extremely easy to solder.
And I would say it make the already smooth bass and lush trebles even more appealing brings out the true potential of Steilla a definite upgrade to the stock cable without a doubt.

I'm running these with dx220 with amp9 nu-tube and it's probably one of the best portable combos out there.

IMG_3169.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #893 of 4,484
I made myself a 4 core 24-AWG Neotech for a fraction of the cost and can add more as I wish later, extremely easy to solder.
And I would say it make the smooth bass and lush trebles even more appealing bring out the true potential of steilla a definite upgrade to the stock cable without a doubt.

I am pretty handy, so I would love to go this route. What were your sources for the cable, the yoke? Also what are the correct plugs for the headphone terminations? I will happily roll my own for a fraction of the cost if you would not mind pointing me in the right direction.

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #894 of 4,484
I am pretty handy, so I would love to go this route. What were your sources for the cable, the yoke? Also what are the correct plugs for the headphone terminations? I will happily roll my own for a fraction of the cost if you would not mind pointing me in the right direction.

Sure no worries where you based but I purchase my stuff from ..

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/neotech-sost-occ-silver-wire.html . (I went for 24 awg silver multi core as it's more flexible and reusable. with silver/gold solder)

https://oidiosound.co.uk/ - connector

connectors here Neutrik REAN 3.5mm
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292469899610

And depends on what termination I purchased some cheap 2.5mm balanced connectors from ebay that were easy to solder. or you can purchase 3.5mm switchcraft connector.
BTW all the credit here goes to @teknorob23 , hope he doesn't mind me spreading he's trade secrets :)

i'm sure he'll be along to advise :)

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #895 of 4,484
I disagree. The AFC with the tuning pads has a smoother treble response and the bass is more clean than the Stellia.

So far, the Stellia only wins in dynamics / punch and the way it looks while having some points that concerns me.

If a change in cable doesn’t fix it (as the Utopia with a high-end cable sounds excellent), then Focal did some mid bass boosting for sure.
If I spent 3K on a headphone and I was this dissatisfied with I would return it or sell it. A cable won't fix your woes.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #896 of 4,484
I can +1 Arctic cables and their cable for the Stellia. Compared to stock their cable is ultra flexible and almost no microphonics. I enjoy the Stellia a lot more without the stock cables.

Jul 28, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #897 of 4,484
I can +1 Arctic cables and their cable for the Stellia. Compared to stock their cable is ultra flexible and almost no microphonics. I enjoy the Stellia a lot more without the stock cables.
Do you have a link to the cable I need?

Jul 28, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #899 of 4,484

For ergonomics and the added bonus of performance that shames the stock cable and most bought cables up 3 or 4 times the price, i'd happily knock you up a quick 4 core (or 8 if you wanted) neotech up-occ copper cable depending on the length for the cost of the parts and postage (£50'ish depending on the length). This finish is fairly simple, but they're very flexible with almost zero microphonics. The arctic cables look great and use fantastic neotech wire but still seem a bit pricey by comparison. Drop DM if you're interested:)

This is a 2 metre 4 core silver ive just made but should give you an idea of the finish.

Silver 24awg 4 core 2 metre.JPG

Sure no worries where you based but I purchase my stuff from ..

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/neotech-sost-occ-silver-wire.html . (I went for 24 awg silver multi core as it's more flexible and reusable. with silver/gold solder)

https://oidiosound.co.uk/ - connector

connectors here Neutrik REAN 3.5mm
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292469899610

And depends on what termination I purchased some cheap 2.5mm balanced connectors from ebay that were easy to solder. or you can purchase 3.5mm switchcraft connector.
BTW all the credit here goes to @teknorob23 , hope he doesn't mind me spreading he's trade secrets :)

i'm sure he'll be along to advise :)

thank you, but credit really should go the chap he shared the secret about this neotech wire with me, its just great its worked for you and you're sharing the word too. I can second the recommendation for the 4 core 24awg silver, it sound just stunning out of both Hugo2, or FA euforia tube amp.

It is starting to feel almost cult-like, bowing to the wonders of the continuous mono-crystal god :wink: One of these cable manufacturers has to twig soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back