Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 16, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #167 of 4,477
BTW, what is the cutoff price for "high-end" headphones nowadays? I was surprised this wasn't in the high-end section of the forum. Are perceptions of what constitutes "high-end" creeping up behind the categorical changes in "high-end" pricing?

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #169 of 4,477
...here some pics of this Beauty

IMG_3405.JPG

IMG_3404.JPG

About the Sound....i will post my imprssions tomrrow

NOMAX

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #171 of 4,477
My LCD-4z look quite cool to me :wink:

Nah. These are a bit better than the original LCD design (except for the pimp gold), but still look like a DYI project to me :wink:

But I am sure these are great headphones. Have auditioned them once very briefly, very impressed.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #173 of 4,477
PS: How canI upload my pictures (not from a website) so that I can display them here?

Press the ‘Upload a File’ button in the lower right of the text box, right next to ‘Post Reply’

Feb 17, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #175 of 4,477
Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #176 of 4,477
i found out today that my local headphone dealer has had the stellia for about a month and has now made it available for audition. i didn't have as much time as i would have liked to spend with it as i arrived at the store 20 minutes before closing, but i can share my initial impressions of it in comparison with the utopia - as always, ymmv. the stellia doesn't look as ostentatious in the flesh, tho i think its design will continue to polarise opinion. i found it very comfortable to wear and more so than the utopia. it felt lighter in the hand and on my head. it sounds warmer than the utopia with a touch more bass presence. the treble is shelved-down relative to the utopia. the utopia has noticeably more treble energy and sounds more incisive, whereas the stellia has a more relaxed presentation. the mids were lovely. while the stellia's bass seemed to be more elevated than the utopia's, it was also somewhat amorphous in comparison. i didn't notice any obvious honkyness or muddiness in the stellia's presentation, but if you are expecting it to rival the utopia for clarity, then you should probably lower your expectations as it is a closed-back headphone after all. the stellia made a very favourable first impression on me, unlike the elegia, which i didn't like at all. i wish that i could have spent more time with the stellia today, but i intend to return to it for a longer audition in the near future and a comparison with the z1r and hd820, which should be interesting.

ps i forgot to mention that i'd happily swap the utopia's stock cable for the stellia's

How would you compare Stellia to TH900s?

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #178 of 4,477
So, now to the Stellia. It is an exceptional headphone to me.

Why? What does it differently? Hall effects that I never experienced from any other headphones, not even from open back headphones. Where should one assign these? To spatial reproduction or soundstage? Everyone has to interpret this for themselves.

How are the sound caratistics of the Stellia?
Bright, analytical.... but never sharp or sibilant!

The lovely Beryllium driver, it is fascinating how well it works in the Stellia.

Comfort is simply top .... better than the Utopia, thanks to the new different leather used for the pads.

Stellia .... The best closed headphones on earth at the moment?
YES.
The best headphones for the declared RLP of up to 3000 Euros?
NO. This point goes to Anto Meze and his Empyrean.
But the Stellia is better than the HD820 or DENON AH 9200 every time.

Biggest weakness of the Stellia:
Not suitable for every music genre

Biggest strength of the Stellia:
The hall effects I perceived

In this respect, have fun with the model of your choice!

NOMAX
prost.gif

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #179 of 4,477
So, now to the Stellia. It is an exceptional headphone to me.

Why? What does it differently? Hall effects that I never experienced from any other headphones, not even from open back headphones. Where should one assign these? To spatial reproduction or soundstage? Everyone has to interpret this for themselves.

How are the sound caratistics of the Stellia?
Bright, analytical.... but never sharp or sibilant!

NOMAX
prost.gif

Is it brighter than the Ultrasone Jubilee 25? I frankly did not like the Utopia, as (especially) the high mids were too aggressive for me. I like my J25 very much, but willing to have a real closed headphone, with a bit more tamed treble. Do you think Stellia is more balanced than J25? And do you think it is robust enough for a commuter?

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #180 of 4,477
.....Stellia is in all areas more balanced as Jubilee 25

NOMAX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back