Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Nov 12, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #1,756 of 1,765
I havent been here for 6 months but obviously I haven’t missed anything.

So may i add to bought an alo cdm and that slightly warm dac and touch of tubes works REALLY well with my FSP.

soundstage still good and any potentiallt edginess in the upper end of the FSP nicely get smoothed off a touch

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #1,757 of 1,765
I agree! I sometimes use my FSPs out of my Tube Amp BL-2 portable.

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #1,758 of 1,765
been using fsp for mixing but after a few months there's some breakage already on the headband and it is not tight anymore
has to use electrical tape from keeping the headband loose and protect the wire inside

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #1,759 of 1,765
Did the later units of the FSP fix the issue with the headband? I can't seem to dig up a definitive answer.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #1,761 of 1,765
Hi People,
I have had my FSP for about 2 years now and have had only one problem that my post on the cable got bent when some moron twacked me on the head with a backpack ( bus rider) which I bent back into a straightish position and it seems to be making a tight connection.

I am half deaf and have a hard time picking up on the high range, the FSP do really help with that issue.

My set up is Fiio X5 2nd gen/ Cayin N5/ Shanling M2 and a Fiio A3 amp plus the FSP for the most part.

"Play it Loud"

Jul 4, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #1,762 of 1,765
So what replacement pads out there would fit the Spirit Pro?

I've ruled out the Brainwavz HM5 pads for being too large and the loss of bass is significant due to the pad wall being outside the cup wall. I was considering the V-Moda XL pads but the odd shape may not work. The other constraint is that the pad wall needs to cover part of the cup otherwise the bass will be lost. So the inner dimensions of the pad need to be larger but no too larger.

The ring the pads attach to is:

1. 8.9cm x 7.9cm in outer dimensions
  2. 5.7cm x 5.3cm in inner dimensions
  3. The stock pad wall is 20mm wide.
  4. The inner cup size is 50mm tall by 40mm wide

The aim should be pads with an inner cup height of 64mm. That is the height of the average ear. So we need pads with a inner cup size of 65mm. Lose 8mm from the pad wall and you could fit the average ear inside. Bass will be lost due to the decreased wall area but hopefully not a huge amount will be lost.

V-Moda XL pads out dimensions:

1. Length: 93mm
  2. Width: 75mm
  3. Depth: 24mm

You can see the XL pads have a height and width that is about the right.

They aren't available in the UK so I can't test them. If someone else can then that would be highly appreciated. You'd have to remove the plastic attachment piece from the XL pads and then double-sided sticky tape on the Focal plastic attachment piece.

Thanks for this post. My Spirit Pro ear pads came off ages ago; they gradually wore out and tore around the edge of the ring, and I've been holding them on with electrical tape. I've now figured out how to remove the ring, and I've discovered the Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 ear pads are actually the exact right size; 90 x 80 x 22mm, and they're not a weird shape like the V-Moda pads. I've ordered some and will report back.

Edit: They're a no-go. Dimensions were listed incorrectly by the seller - they're way to small. Back to the drawin board!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #1,764 of 1,765
Thanks for this post. My Spirit Pro ear pads came off ages ago; they gradually wore out and tore around the edge of the ring, and I've been holding them on with electrical tape. I've now figured out how to remove the ring, and I've discovered the Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 ear pads are actually the exact right size; 90 x 80 x 22mm, and they're not a weird shape like the V-Moda pads. I've ordered some and will report back.

Edit: They're a no-go. Dimensions were listed incorrectly by the seller - they're way to small. Back to the drawin board!

OK, so I've found the pads. They are Sony MDR-1A pads, found here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JE7C1G0

They're just a little too tall (100mm instead of 90mm), but they basically fit. After reattaching via the ring system on the FSP, there is a lack of low end due to an improper seal, so I am going to need to glue the pads on. The highs are also quite harsh due to the thinner foam used in front of the driver. I'm going to need to add a thin layer of foam beneath the pads before glueing them on. I'm pretty confident this is going to work though, and they are actually far more comfortable than the stock pads!

Apr 9, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #1,765 of 1,765
Still using these a dew years in as my main wired portable headphones

And loving it
8rSh0dPR_cyu3u0ogtEz3HF6VwvNQ1s2uGssOYj0zK59h61qoQLVqlLVCobMFnVHV7OkskRDhRBPWWdlk2-cMYet6nK28BhANdsp_aJw3fdL9PSNe_qSeUVe=w443-h332-nc

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back