Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Feb 23, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #946 of 1,765

Out of curiosity I did some searching on-line and found in Europe and UK that prices were as low as around 150-170

Here's a link: http://www.proaudioeurope.com/monitoring/headphones/focal-spirit-professional-headphones.html

Not sure what "ex vat" means 

Don't know if posting links to shops is acceptable here or not?

Ex VAT is without Value Added Tax, so e.g. if you're in the UK you have to add 20% VAT to the price.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #947 of 1,765
Look around on the sale forums, I see FSP and FSC fairly often. And I wouldn't count out the classic - Tyll described them pretty similar to FSP. This said, I'm very happy with the FSP however, if I had taken the time to really consider, I think I would have gone for the Classic if only for the comfy headband.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #948 of 1,765
  Look around on the sale forums, I see FSP and FSC fairly often. And I wouldn't count out the classic - Tyll described them pretty similar to FSP. This said, I'm very happy with the FSP however, if I had taken the time to really consider, I think I would have gone for the Classic if only for the comfy headband.

That's one of the very few complaints I have about the FSP: the headband cushioning is kind of...sparse. Not uncomfortable, but I still notice it on the top of my head. I hope the ear pads soften over time. Currently, I move my glasses out and over them to avoid pain and a decrease in sound quality from breaking the seal.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #949 of 1,765

Whilst similar I personally found them to be quite distinct from one another at the same time. Certainly enough for it not to be an either or choice. I suppose a bit like the HD600 and HD650 you can tell they are siblings but each has its own individual personality. 

I liked both a great deal but ultimately preferred the slightly more revealing and neutral presentation of the FSP. The Classic is definitely the more comfortable and premium feeling of the two though and likely the more durable. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #951 of 1,765
Yes, they do. I own mine since August last year now and have lately been wearing them on the bus almost every day. They get softer and more comfortable over time.

Did that make the drivers get closer to your ears? Did you notice a change in sound with videos, particularly listening to voices? I mentioned before that with videos, voices sound a little thin sometimes unless I push the ear pads closer to my ears.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #952 of 1,765
  The netherlands. Bought them on Bax-shop where they were 205 euros for a time, now they are 255 or something

I bought them on Amazon Spain for 189€ without vat to germany. And they where directly from amazon - no reseller. So they send it out from germany amazon warehouse even if they cost 259€ in germany o_O. Anyway. Recommend that fro europeans. Even if they cost 205€ now :wink:

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #953 of 1,765
Out of curiosity I did some searching on-line and found in Europe and UK that prices were as low as around 150-170

Here's a link: http://www.proaudioeurope.com/monitoring/headphones/focal-spirit-professional-headphones.html

It means excluding VAT (tax), just as it says. So it will be expensiver for customer than that.
Added to shopping cart it says Grand Total Inc VAT £189.00, which is 260€ / $290

Edit: Seems someone already explained it, wasnt reading the last page of thread yet.

is focal an english or european company?

Come on now, if it was "English" company, it would also then be European company. UK is part of Europe.
Also google and wikipeadia are very nice. :wink:

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #954 of 1,765
Come on now, if it was "English" company, it would also then be European company. UK is part of Europe.
Also google and wikipeadia are very nice.
wink.gif

I think he meant "or at least from some other European country."

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #955 of 1,765

It means excluding VAT (tax), just as it says. So it will be expensiver for customer than that.
Added to shopping cart it says Grand Total Inc VAT £189.00, which is 260€ / $290

Edit: Seems someone already explained it, wasnt reading the last page of thread yet.

is focal an english or european company?

Also google and wikipeadia are very nice.
wink.gif

take a chill pill mate, i meant english or any other european company, and uk has not adapted the euro so that would make alot of difference in price aswell.
ps. i could put ''google that'' under every comment on this forum so theres that too

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #956 of 1,765

Cell phone features are aspects of one of its two cables. The FSP has a cable with a mic as well. Thankfully, the L2 cable without a mic is still portable in length and not unwieldy like the coiled no mic cable of the FSP. The Fidelio L2 is faster, clearer, smoother throughout the frequency range. Soundstage is significantly better in width and even more so in depth (the L2 has amazing soundstage depth). What the FSP may better the L2 in is in neutrality as the L2 has warmer mids and a more forward treble response. 

I have no experience with the X2 but from the comparisons I've read, the X2 is more likeable (read less polarizing) and safer in tonality but is not as great in technicalities, smoothness, and lack of grain. 

http://www.headfonia.com/the-phenomenal-philips-fidelio-l2-feat-fidelio-m1bt-review/

This review may seem rather hyped and overtly subjective but I find their impressions (most of the time) on point. The L2 was also reviewed on the Head-Fi Buying Guide by Jude and was recently acknowledged by Joker recently. Check out the L2 thread on Head-Fi.

Lastly, the L2 is more comfortable for me being lighter and having more spacious earpads. 

Thanks for the great info. The next step is finding a pair - so far, it seems Amazon is carrying the L2s for under $250 - but shipping from Japan by companies I've never heard of.

Anyone know if there is a new product in the pipeline or something?

It seems that the L2s may be a little shy on the bass side of the equation given what I've been reading. I am no bass-head, but it would be great to see more bass weight with some texture to boot. Coming from the HE-400s, it will be hard to compete I'd think. But the HE-400s, while having fantastic bass, always needed a bit more "weight" as they can come off pretty lean to my ears at times.And certainly, the HD-595s never really shined in that area either.

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #957 of 1,765
As I really have a problem with the pads and comfort I'm looking around for an alternative. I read a lot about the discontinued Sony 7520. In the Best Studio headphone thread I heard a lot that the 7520 is a step up to the FSP. Mosty in comfort but also got the subbass power that the FSP is a bit lacking. Actually I miss the weight of my kickdrums a lot. Anyone had both tested side by side?

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #958 of 1,765
As I really have a problem with the pads and comfort I'm looking around for an alternative. I read a lot about the discontinued Sony 7520. In the Best Studio headphone thread I heard a lot that the 7520 is a step up to the FSP. Mosty in comfort but also got the subbass power that the FSP is a bit lacking. Actually I miss the weight of my kickdrums a lot. Anyone had both tested side by side?

Read through this thread. A few people compared the FSP and 7520. But this is the first I've heard of it being discontinued.

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #959 of 1,765
A question for those who had the FSP since they first came out and have put them through heavy use. How are the ear pads holding up? Any cracks or deterioration in the material of the pads?

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #960 of 1,765
A question for those who had the FSP since they first came out and have put them through heavy use. How are the ear pads holding up? Any cracks or deterioration in the material of the pads?

No problems with mine at all.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back