Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Jan 13, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #841 of 1,765
Hey there,

Been testing the FSP for a few days and wanted to share my humble inpressions, really nice and refined closed cans I have to say. Only a few hours of burn in though.
I will also make a few comparisons with other closed studio headphones  like the DT150 and AKGK271s

FSP offer tight bass, less bloated lo-mids than DT150´s for example (300hz +/-) and with a bit more pronounced lo end/slam than the K271s with velour pads.
Better driven with my Heed Canamp than with my Xonar D2´s stereo output. The Canamp controls FSP with authority  (it´s gain output can be a bit high perhaps if you ask me). This amp is an outstanding match the K271s and results a bit too dark with the DT150.

I´ve found the FSP not so solid for studio use, construction seems a bit weak (DT150 wins by a large margin), quality is fair but not the best, tight headband and -hot- small pads doesn´t make you forget you have them on either.
Isolation is very good, perhaps a bit better than the K271s witch I find sonically overall more refined, with better soundstage (a bit more laid back too) and with realistic rich mids and sparkle. Also more coherent over the entire spectrum and no so upfront like the FSP.

Presentation on the Focal is engaging, fast, very flat and balanced, gutsy at the lows, a tiny bit nasal at mids with good detail at hi freqs. Bass drums sound punchy witch is great, electric guitars have lots of body, also bottom end of snares sound pretty good too (sparkle and ¨crunch¨ doesn´t match K271s IMHO).

Noticed that the coiled cable seems to sound a bit fuller tan the other short one.

Mod-wise, 3.5mm jack opens a door for recabling (but finding a similar -slim- quality connector (Switchcraft, Neutrik...) can be hard though)

These cans perform really good but confort and design could be improved, a versión with roomier pads and softer headband clamp would be a winner

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #843 of 1,765
No more impressions about these cans? Mods, recabling, amp matching... This is it? end of the way?

Not Yet!:boom: I'll be posting some impressions of the FSP when amped by the Cypher Labs Picollo amp soon. I also ordered some cables from Japan to replace my B&O H6 stock cable with the in-line mic. I think it will fit the FSP as well so I hope to notice a difference there too. Anyone else have something to add to the conversation??:hushed:

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #844 of 1,765
  No more impressions about these cans? Mods, recabling, amp matching... This is it? end of the way?

Once I get mine, I will share my thoughts on the headphones and any mods, aftermarket cables, and amps I use with it.

...But I recently bought a Schiit stack and the NVX XPT100, so my budget is back to nothing for the moment. XD

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #845 of 1,765
Would any Focal Spirit Professional owners be willing to trade theirs for some of my stuff?

I posted an ad about it here.

You can take your pick out of my headphones (one is very rare), video game consoles, a DAP, an external hard drive, and even a laptop computer. (I listed them for sale individually, but I'm really just trying to raise the cash for the FSP!)

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #846 of 1,765
I just got the DX90 today and I'm loving the combination with the FSP. I'm using Lurker's firmware and the thing sound fantastic.

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #847 of 1,765
  I just got the DX90 today and I'm loving the combination with the FSP. I'm using Lurker's firmware and the thing sound fantastic.

My new portable setup. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #849 of 1,765
I have the same combination of DX90 and FSP. Which gain setting are you using? I'm usually on low gain with volumes around 215-225, depending on the loudness of the recording.

I've been thinking about acquiring the DX90 as my first audiophile grade DAP. Is the DX90 at all sibilant when paired with the FSP? Can you detect any noise when in high gain? My current portable rig would be the HiFi M8 XL4 w/IEM modification and it really lends towards a musical sound signature when paired with FSP to my ears. I would definitely go for the DX90 if it can give me a more clinical/analytical sound signature without any sibilance.....

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #850 of 1,765
I've been thinking about acquiring the DX90 as my first audiophile grade DAP. Is the DX90 at all sibilant when paired with the FSP? Can you detect any noise when in high gain? My current portable rig would be the HiFi M8 XL4 w/IEM modification and it really lends towards a musical sound signature when paired with FSP to my ears. I would definitely go for the DX90 if it can give me a more clinical/analytical sound signature without any sibilance.....

The only noise I could make out was the noise already present on the recording (a recording from the 1950s, possibly the microphone), which my home setup and speakers kindly veiled.:wink:
These are studio monitors and can be used as such. The DX90 is very detailed, so this is what you could get.

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #851 of 1,765
  I have the same combination of DX90 and FSP. Which gain setting are you using? I'm usually on low gain with volumes around 215-225, depending on the loudness of the recording.

I use High Gain at 203-208 depending on recording. 

Haven't gotten any cases of sibilance yet. It's a very transparent setup but very slightly dark. It's not warm nor thick, it's neutral but never bright unless the recording is bright. 

I honestly thought I'd end up with the Focal Spirit Classic as as three out of the four times I demoed the duo, I preferred the Classic. The fourth and final time, for some reason I preferred the Pro… no regrets so far. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #853 of 1,765
Thinking about purchasing these headphones as I can get them at a very good price brand new, I can get them for about $60 more then the m50x's brand new. My only concerns is that for hip hop, edm, rock and pop that the m50x will be better listening through my iPhone 6 plus. What are your thoughts?

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #854 of 1,765
I just bought the Focal Spirit Professional brand new from a seller in China for $215 (plus expedited shipping fees) without any of the accessories except the remote cable. Pretty sweet deal. I will probably post a full-length review and link to it here. Super excited!

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #855 of 1,765
I just bought the Focal Spirit Professional brand new from a seller in China for $215 (plus expedited shipping fees) without any of the accessories except the remote cable. Pretty sweet deal. I will probably post a full-length review and link to it here. Super excited!

Sweet mate, looking forward to it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back