Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Dec 30, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #827 of 1,765

Yup the 770's are way over hyped in the lows so I only used them for listening in the end and then they died which gave me an excuse to seek out a pair with a flatter response. I never quite understood why the 770's are often recommended as a good pair for critical listening / reference headphones after I got them.  So far I found the Focals to be much cleaner, not tried or seen the Phonon's before so have no idea how they might compare!

My first complete track almost completely mixed down and mastered on these is available for download here if your interested.. (used the monitors a little).

https://soundcloud.com/pret-a-ecouter/ian-morbey_extract-of-the-day

It's a 320 mp3 but gives you an idea.  I did end up doing about 4 takes until I was happy to post it (which is not unusual for me - I can't help tweaking things to death).

To summarize I was definitely closer with the first draft of the mixdown than I have been with monitors alone.  Tweaking was much easier with specific tracks (The bass where I ended up tweaking the synth itself to remove some abrasiveness in the source, and eqing some sub out of the kicks for example).  I struggled most with the high mids and highs which are very different to anything I have ever listened to before but I'm getting there with them.

All in all these are helping me to improve my overall sound which can only be a good thing.

Cheers, I'll have a proper listen when I have headphones nearby- one of the drivers in my 770's have just died too... need to fix them really since I like the isolation on them for certain things. Anyway, if you are that way inclined I have stuff up here: https://therapyinterferingbehaviour.bandcamp.com/

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #828 of 1,765

I am currently listening to my FSP from a  Mac mini>Lossless up to 24/192 audio files>Audirvana>Meridian Explorer DAC>Schiit Asgard 2 HP Amp and absolutely love it! My portable rig would be the HiFi M8 and FSP and I can get lost in my music as the synergy is oh so obvious to my ears. I just ordered a CypherLabs Picollo HP Amp and cannot wait to see how it pairs with the FSP as well. As you can see; I wholeheartedly recommend a HP amp for these headphones. I feel that amping the FSP, as they are very revealing of source,  allows for even more headroom.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #830 of 1,765
  I like the Focal Spirit Professional, can anyone contrast it in SQ/sound signature to a basic modded Fostex T50rp?       
  (or the NAD Viso HP50/B&W P7)

I just picked up the NAD HP50's (less than 2hrs on them), I have the FSP's with less than 15 hrs on them. Running both off my Mac Book Air (travelling with no amp), the HP50's have a slightly more pronounced top end (more sparkle) than the FSP's. The FSP's have an ever slow slightly beefier bottom end.

The FSP's spackle finish is nicer to me, and feel more solid in build. The HP50's come with a nicer bag, and can be folded flat for travel.

Overall the HP50's sound a little more exciting to me, and would have to pick them due to the $100 price difference...

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #831 of 1,765
Does anyone know how the Focal Alpha 50 active studio monitor speakers compare to the Focal Spirit Professional? I am considering getting the speakers next instead of more headphones. Even at $598 per pair, they may be a better value.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #832 of 1,765

I just picked up the NAD HP50's (less than 2hrs on them), I have the FSP's with less than 15 hrs on them. Running both off my Mac Book Air (travelling with no amp), the HP50's have a slightly more pronounced top end (more sparkle) than the FSP's. The FSP's have an ever slow slightly beefier bottom end.

The FSP's spackle finish is nicer to me, and feel more solid in build. The HP50's come with a nicer bag, and can be folded flat for travel.

Overall the HP50's sound a little more exciting to me, and would have to pick them due to the $100 price difference...

Thanks for the reply JK, I have heard the FSP & NAD's, although not side by side in comparison. I can get them both for the same price. The HP's were both excellent but the NAD are not what i'd call portable and i had concerns about the conform of the top of the Headband or long term listening.
Whereas the FSP are practically an on ear, if they had larger cups it would be interesting

However i am now considering the Fostex t50rp to mod & was wondering how it would compare to the NAD/FSP.

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #833 of 1,765
You can tune your T50 to sound like a FSP with a bigger soundstage and deeper subbass. I tuned my to the paradox, mad dogs 3.2 and my studio monitors (genelec 8040). After I got the FSP I retuned the T50 because they cleary had less 3khz. This is a T50 cup/driver flaw which isn't fixed with those commercial mods I mentioned above. I have a measument rig which I use to double check my impression. FR wise the commercial mods have around 6db less energy at 3khz with a low Q which let them sound way deeper/bassier than neutral should sound. Some call it dark but the T50 highs are spot on if they are tuned right. The FSP is an amazing reference I just don't like on-ears. Can't wear them more than 1 hour till it hearts. -_-

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #834 of 1,765
You can tune your T50 to sound like a FSP with a bigger soundstage and deeper subbass. I tuned my to the paradox, mad dogs 3.2 and my studio monitors (genelec 8040). After I got the FSP I retuned the T50 because they cleary had less 3khz. This is a T50 cup/driver flaw which isn't fixed with those commercial mods I mentioned above. I have a measument rig which I use to double check my impression. FR wise the commercial mods have around 6db less energy at 3khz with a low Q which let them sound way deeper/bassier than neutral should sound. Some call it dark but the T50 highs are spot on if they are tuned right. The FSP is an amazing reference I just don't like on-ears. Can't wear them more than 1 hour till it hearts. -_-

Thanks thas helpful,
How do you "tune" yours to the paradox/mad dogs 3.2 ?
This aspect of the modding game is over my novice head.

Completely agree RE the FSP earpads, such a shame.

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #835 of 1,765
Puh, its quite difficult to tell as I'm living in germany and those specific materials are called and made different as I saw with the bmf mod. I also made myself an 3D printed baffle which cleans up the lower mids. The mad dog is really easy to replicate but I wouldn't recommend just to mod. It needs more 3khz to sound like a paradox. For the mad dog just use a good amount wool. fill the complete cup with paxmate (there are pix on the net how it looks opened..). On the baffle side also some paxmate around the driver opening. Then use some Alpha pads and there you have it. Totally recommend the Alpha Pads. I have tested the HM5 of the paradox and also the shure pads. Those are amazing in regards bass and soundstage. I try to edit the post as I'm on mobile right now. But maybe its a Fostex mod topic and OF here

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #836 of 1,765
Danke shön!

I am conversing with some on the relevant topic, but it can get confusing.
Looking at the Shure 1540 velour pads & the Brainwaivz HM5 pads, they are of a similar price.
Alpha pads would cost double and i'd have to get them delivered to someone in the USA and then posted here, if you think the sound vastly improves i may well do.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #837 of 1,765
Hey - I just picked the FSP and I'm using them with a gilmore lite and emotiva xda-1 on my home rig and on a rockbox'd ipod 5.5 with a meier corda 3move for my portable. I'm really impressed with how well the headphones image. However, like a few others have said, these will let you know when you have poorly mastered or poor rips. They are super revealing. But with the right source material they are glorious.

Anyone have any ideas about how they compare to the Sony MDR 7520? Sort of similar intentions with the headphones being pro oriented...

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #839 of 1,765
Sounds pretty interesting. As they say, sorry about your wallet.... I might have to pick them up too.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #840 of 1,765
I found the 7520s to be more V shaped in comparison. Bass has more impact and i found the top end harsher and more prone to sibilance. I never found the focals to be that detailed but with the 7520s i did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back