Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Jan 26, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #16 of 1,765
M-13,

Thanks for the thoughtful response, much appreciated.  It is too bad about the Spirit Pro ear cup/pad size, really wish those would work for me but then again I have run into this often and suspect that will continue.  One of the reasons I hold out hope about the new Senns is that they always seem to work out for me, except for the momentums of course.

I rarely have problems with depth of ear pads and driver screens, so maybe the MDR-7520 will end up being a good choice for me.  I just tried the SRH1540 today and liked them quite a bit, but the cups done't rotate front to back on your head so the fit is a bit off for me.

Anyways, thanks again and continued good listening with the Spirit Pro, looks like a great design that is winning over a bunch of folks.

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #17 of 1,765
  M-13,

Thanks for the thoughtful response, much appreciated.  It is too bad about the Spirit Pro ear cup/pad size, really wish those would work for me but then again I have run into this often and suspect that will continue.  One of the reasons I hold out hope about the new Senns is that they always seem to work out for me, except for the momentums of course.

I rarely have problems with depth of ear pads and driver screens, so maybe the MDR-7520 will end up being a good choice for me.  I just tried the SRH1540 today and liked them quite a bit, but the cups done't rotate front to back on your head so the fit is a bit off for me.

Anyways, thanks again and continued good listening with the Spirit Pro, looks like a great design that is winning over a bunch of folks.

So it's been about six days or so since I got the Spirit Pros and the comfort is A LOT better. The memory foam earpads break-in much more than expected, and become this very cushy soft things after a few days. They're like two bunnies wrapping my ears now. I would say they're worth an audition for the sound alone, but don't expect comfort on day 1.

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #19 of 1,765
  M-13, are you wearing these as portables? If so, any solution to case/storage that you like? Is the isolation good enough for noisy environments?

Yup. I'm using them as portables. I throw them in my laptop bag and take them to work and then to Starbucks. I just use the pouch it came with because my Slappa hard case is way too big and bulky. They sort of fold up, almost Beats style, but not quite. Haha. They have better than average isolation, as the pads are pretty thick and are glued onto the cups. I think they leak very little too. The problem is that the pads are pretty stiff on day one and two, and start to break in and feel better from maybe day 3 or 4. About 8 days in, they're a lot softer and comfort has increased. Same goes for the padding on the headband. Small earcup hole is becoming less of an issue.

I still really like these. And don't take back anything I said initially. I'm experiencing some burn-in as well, although nothing huge.

I found out the ear pads are not replaceable (from another thread. Someone apparently contacted Focal and they told him that all 3 Focal headphones have earpads glued on, unfortunately). But I think the pads will last for quite some time, given the quality.

What I mean by fold up is this:

*Finally updated first post with photos. Sorry about the delay.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #20 of 1,765
So I put my thoughts on the Spirit Pro on the 7520 thread and thought I would share them here too:
 Something that bothers me is that everyone seems to agree that the Spirit Pro is too small (is not truly circumaural).

Well... it's true, but also the pads do soften up significantly after a few days. They're circumaural for me anyway and I find them fairly comfortable. But as always YMMV, etc.

The reason I'm so impressed by them is that they're essentially amorphous: It's fast, then slow; it's got thundeing skull rattling bass and then is suddenly bass light; it's forward then laid back; soundstage is massive and then is narrow; imaging is off the charts and then suddenly not very good. Etc, etc.

I've never had a headphone more confusing until I figured out this thing was actually giving me what's on the recording without coloration. Up to now all my headphones have added their own flavor music speed (PRaT) and soundstage width and imaging, etc, but this thing doesn't, which is straight up weird and also very awesome. I would say it's a first among all the headphones I've tried/owned.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #22 of 1,765
Greatly appreciate all the info you're continually sharing with us. You like your X3/Spirit Pro pairing a lot I take it?  I'm curious how it would pair with the Fiio X5.

Trying to make a short list of which portable headphone I'm gonna buy to pair with the X5. Spending countless hours daily devouring all threads/posts I can, which adds as many options as cans I tick off my list haha.
So far down to 3:  HD25-1 II Aluminium 25y Anniversary edition (+SPC cable)   /  Focal Spirit Professional / NAD Visio HP50.  I got 1 month to find out which to pick (Fiio X5 first international preorders hit  March 3-5) :)

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #23 of 1,765
  Greatly appreciate all the info you're continually sharing with us. You like your X3/Spirit Pro pairing a lot I take it?  I'm curious how it would pair with the Fiio X5.

Trying to make a short list of which portable headphone I'm gonna buy to pair with the X5. Spending countless hours daily devouring all threads/posts I can, which adds as many options as cans I tick off my list haha.
So far down to 3:  HD25-1 II Aluminium 25y Anniversary edition (+SPC cable)   /  Focal Spirit Professional / NAD Visio HP50.  I got 1 month to find out which to pick (Fiio X5 first international preorders hit  March 3-5) :)

I'm getting the X5 on day one it's available too. Haha.
atsmile.gif

Spirit Pro pairs extremely well with the X3 (to my ears)

As for the other headphones you mentioned. If you see my profile you will see the list of portable cans I owned in the past. The Spirit Pro is the best in my mind. I had the Amperior and I love that headphone, but the Spirit Pro is definitely better. As for the HP50, I think it's downright dorky looking. I would not buy it on looks alone (personally) of course. YMMV. Some people might like the look. Not sure.

Tyll will likely be putting the Spirit Pro up on his Wall of Fame. I think he likes it just as much as the HP50 or even more at this point as I've seen further comments from him on another site.

My favorite HP50 photo:

(Headphone God)

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #24 of 1,765
Had I not just gotten a great deal on the W1000X, this would have been a strong contender for a closed reference can. Who knows. Maybe the W1000X wont work out and I'll be back looking at these. The feedback I'm reading has been off the charts.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #26 of 1,765
I'm getting the X5 on day one it's available too. Haha. :atsmile:

Spirit Pro pairs extremely well with the X3 (to my ears)

As for the other headphones you mentioned. If you see my profile you will see the list of portable cans I owned in the past. The Spirit Pro is the best in my mind. I had the Amperior and I love that headphone, but the Spirit Pro is definitely better. As for the HP50, I think it's downright dorky looking. I would not buy it on looks alone (personally) of course. YMMV. Some people might like the look. Not sure.

Tyll will likely be putting the Spirit Pro up on his Wall of Fame. I think he likes it just as much as the HP50 or even more at this point as I've seen further comments from him on another site.

My favorite HP50 photo:

Asked Tyll on WOF thread about possibility of comparing the FSP vs NAD HP50 vs Kef M500. In a post in August he said he'd receive an M500.
Style wise my take is FSP>Kef M500>NAD HP50.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #27 of 1,765
Asked Tyll on WOF thread about possibility of comparing the FSP vs NAD HP50 vs Kef M500. In a post in August he said he'd receive an M500.
Style wise my take is FSP>Kef M500>NAD HP50.

He posted very recently (a few days ago) on a different site that the Spirit Pro will likely make the WoF. It's not guaranteed of course, but there is a good chance. It certainly deserves to be on the wall IMO.

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #30 of 1,765
Mine are en route too. I was informed by both my students and my wife that my NAD Viso HP50's don't look nearly as good on my head as I think they do.

;_; 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back