Focal Spirit One S
Mar 30, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #31 of 43
Yes the S ones don't fit

My ears have free lobes, and the headphones clamp on them... when I say it's not fully circumaural, I mean that it's basically JUST barely circumaural, it's kinda pinching my ears

I don't care that much but they won't let me change the pads -_-

I'll write a review on them, got them last week and I don't see much written about them in the forums.

Build quality could also be a bit better in a 300$ pair of headphones tbh

May 14, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #32 of 43
  Yes the S ones don't fit

My ears have free lobes, and the headphones clamp on them... when I say it's not fully circumaural, I mean that it's basically JUST barely circumaural, it's kinda pinching my ears

I don't care that much but they won't let me change the pads -_-

I'll write a review on them, got them last week and I don't see much written about them in the forums.

Build quality could also be a bit better in a 300$ pair of headphones tbh

What height is your ear from top to bottom? I am considering the One S, but they don`t have them in any stores where I live.
Did you write that review? 

May 21, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #33 of 43
Sorry I took so long, 2 inches give or take half an inch sorry i can't be more helpful, dont seem to own a bloody ruler...
I didin't end up writing the review. All i can say is they sound basically like ath m50s with generally better instrument seperation and cleaner bass. It's definitly not 3x better than the m50s but the accuracy of these things will certainly wow you with the amount of bass impact (not to mention bloody extention) they have if you've never heard Audeze before

May 22, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #34 of 43
I have tried them now, and they didn`t fit. At first I thought about ordering them online since I did not find them in any stores around here, but then I found one that had them. They sounded really good, and the built quality is good. It`s a pity that they make the cups so small. 

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #35 of 43
Just received a pair of these for review. Does anyone else have trouble with the supplied cable not creating proper contact in headphone jacks? With my pair I can't get good sound with any of my devices / amps, even if I use the 3.5 to 6mm adapter supplied. If I use a different 3.5-3.5mm cable it's fine.

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #36 of 43
  Just received a pair of these for review. Does anyone else have trouble with the supplied cable not creating proper contact in headphone jacks? With my pair I can't get good sound with any of my devices / amps, even if I use the 3.5 to 6mm adapter supplied. If I use a different 3.5-3.5mm cable it's fine.

u might have to plug them in deeper, thats what i found with the original spirit ones, just a small push though

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #38 of 43
bump

Just got a pair of these...
I must say, I finally found the headphones that is suited for Metal(Opeth, Dying Fetus) and Rock(Smashing Pumpkins etc)
Instruments are all clear here as we may know how Chaotic the music can be one the tempo goes up... but I may want to hear some Sizzle on the Cymbals.

Cons... comfort, I feel some minor... pain/sensation because of the grip for around 45mins-1hour listening on commute.

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #39 of 43
Could someone please measure the inside dimensions of the earpads on these? I hear they are on the smaller size and I'm not sure if they will fit my ears.Very interested in getting this headphone

Thanks! 

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #40 of 43
My instant impression on these was stick these on your head and listen to rock music, the bass is so punchy it keeps up with even the most intense kick drum beat and you can literally here the air punch between the kick drum pedal and skin when you're listening to punk music as the air goes thwack! The bass reflex is utterly amazing for rock music.

The sound on live tracks is awesome I'm listening to Bro Hymn by Penywise as I type this and its an experience that makes your head twitch as if you're in the room listening to the recording live. I can hear the siblance on live recordings, and the electric guitar distortion is well pronounced, the exact opposite of a chainsaw harshness, when it gets coarse, its still clear and pronounced in the mids and the highs and vocals are still present. The stage is fairly narrow as is to be expected for over the ear cans, but it is there. Your stage distance feels like you're standing about 30degrees of the singer.

As I switch over to listening Lupe Fiasco Superstar there is plenty, if not too much bass, which means you don't need to listen to music very loud, but though the bass drivers do take over its in a pleasant way it doesn't kill the mids and highs the way a set of headphones such as Beats would kill the mids and highs, it definitely is  coloured and almost excessively so, but it's not bad by any means. It does better at playing a better mixed hip-hop/R&B crossover such as Drake - Hold on, we're going home, or even a true R&B/Funk cross over such as tracks by Michael Jackson where you can Jam before putting on a track like Unbreakable and drift off to the Butterflies. It will even do justice to disco such as Leon Ware - Whats your name.

I think I found this set of phones at a happy medium listening to Jamiroquai - Tallulah. If that is your thing the flutes are well pronounced, as are the vocals and the mids and lows blend almost perfectly to create a very flat and wide sound stage. The horns are crisp, they pronounce a good mix for that kind of crossover between house and jazz where they become very musical. You can throw in some other stuff like Aphex Twin, if you like that crossover to Acid House and ambience also where these cans come alive with a song like Flim the problem is you'll end up wanting to turn it up way to loud, utterly gorgeous.

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #41 of 43
  u might have to plug them in deeper, thats what i found with the original spirit ones, just a small push though

You can think you're actually connected with these headphones but you're not getting a proper contact, just a slight push in on the cable into your headphones and it will click again and you'll get a proper contact, just a slight push though.

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #42 of 43
I’m currently pairing these with the Chord Hugo (original version, not Hugo 2) and it’s working very well – beautiful clear and detailed treble, bass well defined, not overly bloated, lots of energy and dynamism to the sound. An enjoyable immersive listen…

Nov 7, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #43 of 43
Has anyone found a pair of headphones with a signature that's as close to the Spirit One S / Spirit Pro / Spirit Classic as possible?
Not just the frequency graph, but that raspy velvety Spirit tone.

I haven't enjoyed headphones since my last pair of Spirits broke. I'm tired of burning money looking for a replacement. New Spirits are hard to come by at a decent price; especially considering they don't last long due to the infamous cracking hinge design. The Focal Listen range were all disappointing. The closest I found to Focal Spirit tuning is fellow French (IEM) maker EarSonics. Slightly similar tuning on some models (S-EM9, EM32) to the spirit line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back