Focal Spirit Classic, the best on-the-go headphones I have ever owned
Jun 16, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 22
Yep sure. 3 words, soft, warm and smooth.

The thing is I have never had an experience with a headphone like Classic in terms of its smoothness. It looks and sounds like chocolate, sweet and thick. Music surrounds you like a warm hug.
Back to reality lol. What I said means that FSC has a thick and emotional mid and lower-mid with a warm sound character. Large amount of lower-mid makes awesome male vocal. I can be easily moved by male vocal and mature women vocal on this headphone. Trebles are there without being bright at all. Full of musicality rather than reference. The bass goes deep but doesn't hit hard, to be along with soft, warm and smooth mid & treble performance.

Soundstage is not that wide but all elements in the music have an extremely good separation.

I won't say FSC is an all-round player especially not for electronic pop music with fast pace rhythm and hard bass punch. But if your preference of music is classic, male female vocal, opera and jazz. FSC will bring you something unique and fantastic.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 22
Thanks,
Looking for portable headphone for my music : jazz (fussion&vocal) , in my radar : Focal Spirit Classic, V-Moda XS or B&W P5/7....which one the smoothes sound and deliver natural vocal.

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 22
Besides FSC, I owned P5/P7 for around 1 month. I can tell you P5 is not at the same class as FSC in terms of its murky presentation. Vocal performance on P5 is close to FSC, but with instruments, far left behind. P7 and FSC are at the same level. P7 has a colder sound while FSC is much warmer. Bass punch is better on P7 and treble is brighter as well. P7 has A little bit larger soundstage and balance sound. But the presentation is a little bit "reference" style with a less contagious vocal. And again, nothing is even close to FSC's presentation in terms of its warmth and smoothness. Another strength I have to point out is that FSC doesn't need any better DAC or Amplifier to drive. On my IPC and Macbook I can easily get satisfied with what FSC brings to me. 

I never tried V-moda XS before but I did owned M100 once. Unless XS has a 180 degree turn around from M100, my comment is that V-Moda is better known as a high quality DJ headphones brand.(Heavy Punchy bass, sharp bright treble but recessed vocal)

Hope that would help you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 22
Today I got chance to listen XS and P7, hmmm I'm not impressed their sound signature.XS,litle bit forward of vocal.The P7 loose dynamic.
Unfortunately the store didn't sell Focal, so I still curious with Spirit Classic...:)

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 22

Besides FSC, VISO HP50 could be another choice for you I think.

I tried demo VISO HP50 , I like HP50 rather than P7 or Vmoda
Finally, I decided to buy Focal Spirit Classic (used) from eB*y....expected on Wednesday will be arrived...:)

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 22
I got the Spirit Classic today..:)

Paired with my iBasso DX-50, set EQ flat, play FLAC files. With 32 Ohm impendance, this cans easy to drive.
Agreed with your description, this cans deliver transparant sound with good detail , relaxing, smooth treble, well defined bass,good inst separation.
Listened Diana Krall and Peter White , vocal of Diana slightly forward but enjoyable.

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 22
  I got the Spirit Classic today..:)

Paired with my iBasso DX-50, set EQ flat, play FLAC files. With 32 Ohm impendance, this cans easy to drive.
Agreed with your description, this cans deliver transparant sound with good detail , relaxing, smooth treble, well defined bass,good inst separation.
Listened Diana Krall and Peter White , vocal of Diana slightly forward but enjoyable.

Hah.....will be even more excellent with that 4m cable.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 22
I have the same set up FSC + DX50 and I agree with your observations

Do you have iem's as well? I am looking for some for work and would like a similar sound signature

Do you have any suggestions?

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 22

Do you have iem's as well? I am looking for some for work and would like a similar sound signature

I didn't try many iems so that I cannot say there is one or not sharing the similar sound signature as FSC. From my experience I have to say FSC is quite unique.

I saw some threads describing that LCD-3 has similar sound signature but one level higher than FSC. Unfortunately I have no chance to try LCD-3 on my ear though.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 22

I'm using TDK BA200 (IEM) now, and put others on the storage.
This IEM has similiar treble/hi control with FSC, relaxing not fatigue.
If you like FSC, you will enjoy with TDK BA200 (IEM)

~ron~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back