Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Apr 14, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #451 of 1,465
I just ordered OIDIO Mongrel cable. Also purchased £25 Meze cable to keep me going until Mongrel arrives next month. MANY MANY MANY THANKS. TOP PERSON. AWESOME
Yeah the Mongrel is hot. Did you get it balanced or unbalanced? Did you pick colors? For Oidio cables I geekily like to puck out a conplementry color-scheme of 3 different types of grey.

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #452 of 1,465
The balanced Meze silver is a short cable right - under 3meters?
Yeah, most if not all of the 99 cables are portable length, if you need to lengthen it, extenders exist, just make sure the extender is balanced if the cable is, unbalanced if not.
In the future, if you get into the cable game and need a lot of interchangable connectors Hart Audio makes these Multikits which are a ton of fun: Here

The thing is, the Radiance (seemingly even more than the Elegia) sounds radically different depending on your source, balanced or unbalanced ect, doesn't benefit from a warm/bassy dac, actually benefits from silver cables (a lit of bassy/warm sets do (like I found the Meze 99 unlistenable until I used the silver cable, cleaned everything right up).

While I think cables à la Nordost/Audioquest or other overpriced headphone cables are snakeoil (though arguably could be useful for hi-fi speaker set ups, I don't know as I don't have experience in that forum) - I've also come to appreciate that custom cables, hybrid or silver cables make a difference, but they don't need to be expensive. You can even find gems on AliExpress (hey, don't knock it until you try it) or even better, you can get into making yourself.

So like I said, for me running the Radiance balanced made a huge difference in clarity and impact, even when run from a warmer or occlusive source or chain. And the cable won't be all stiff and gnarly but malleable and relaxed.

Apr 14, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #454 of 1,465
Yeah, most if not all of the 99 cables are portable length, if you need to lengthen it, extenders exist, just make sure the extender is balanced if the cable is, unbalanced if not.
In the future, if you get into the cable game and need a lot of interchangable connectors Hart Audio makes these Multikits which are a ton of fun: Here

The thing is, the Radiance (seemingly even more than the Elegia) sounds radically different depending on your source, balanced or unbalanced ect, doesn't benefit from a warm/bassy dac, actually benefits from silver cables (a lit of bassy/warm sets do (like I found the Meze 99 unlistenable until I used the silver cable, cleaned everything right up).

While I think cables à la Nordost/Audioquest or other overpriced headphone cables are snakeoil (though arguably could be useful for hi-fi speaker set ups, I don't know as I don't have experience in that forum) - I've also come to appreciate that custom cables, hybrid or silver cables make a difference, but they don't need to be expensive. You can even find gems on AliExpress (hey, don't knock it until you try it) or even better, you can get into making yourself.

So like I said, for me running the Radiance balanced made a huge difference in clarity and impact, even when run from a warmer or occlusive source or chain. And the cable won't be all stiff and gnarly but malleable and relaxed.
Which Balanced DAC do you use to drive Radiance? I might buy new IDSD signature

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #455 of 1,465
Which Balanced DAC do you use to drive Radiance? I might buy new IDSD signature

I have the Schiit Jotunheim for home and the Qudelix 5k for portable.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #456 of 1,465
How does the Radiance compare to the Fostex TH900?

May 1, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #457 of 1,465
I pulled the trigger and just got the Radiance and absolutely loving them so far. I primarily listen to electronic based music (Progressive House, Deep House, Techno) and these are perfect for these genres. Comparatively to the TH900 these have a much better seal and elevated mid-bass which gives them a really nice warm signature.

May 5, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #458 of 1,465
Here is my set up which sounds excellent to me in terms of Synergy.
Focal Radiance headphones>>OIDIO Mongrel 4.4 balanced cable>>iFi iDSL Signature.
Good enough to be End Game for me*

Thank you to Focal, OIDIO, iFi Audio and members of headfi in helping me make these choices.

199BC4FD-8712-40A2-9BB5-B35ADB38444F.jpeg

7A875C68-71D6-43F9-8408-6BD54B0F85CA.jpeg

* Reference to End Game is only valid for 6 months after which further £££spending is forecast.

May 6, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #459 of 1,465
Here is my set up which sounds excellent to me in terms of Synergy.
Focal Radiance headphones>>OIDIO Mongrel 4.4 balanced cable>>iFi iDSL Signature.
Good enough to be End Game for me*

Thank you to Focal, OIDIO, iFi Audio and members of headfi in helping me make these choices.

* Reference to End Game is only valid for 6 months after which further £££spending is forecast.

I pulled the trigger and just got the Radiance and absolutely loving them so far. I primarily listen to electronic based music (Progressive House, Deep House, Techno) and these are perfect for these genres. Comparatively to the TH900 these have a much better seal and elevated mid-bass which gives them a really nice warm signature.
Get a balanced cable and try the dekoni hybrid pads, it will take the sound to another level

Users who are viewing this thread

Back