Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Sep 14, 2020 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,465
Since 2008, ultra-luxury carmaker Bentley has worked with Naim Audio and Focal to equip their cars with high-end audio systems. Today they're extending their collaboration with two new (far more accessible) products: The Naim Mu-so for Bentley Special Edition wireless speaker system, and the Focal for Bentley Radiance Headphones.

We listen to a first-generation Naim Mu-so at the Head-Fi office and it's still the best-sounding single-chassis wireless speaker system we've used here. As the Naim Mu-so for Bentley Special Edition is essentially a Bentley-fied version of Naim's Mu-so 2nd Generation, I'm looking forward to listening to it at some point, to hear what improvements it has over the first-gen Mu-so.

Suggested retail pricing will be £1799/€1999/$2199 for the Naim Mu-so for Bentley Special Edition.

Naim Mu-so for Bentley 3 quarter on black.jpg

(Above) Naim Mu-so for Bentley Special Edition wireless speaker system.

However, what I'm most looking forward to hearing is the Focal for Bentley Radiance Headphones. The Radiance is a closed-back design, and as you can see in the photos below it's clearly descended from Focal's flagship series headphones.

As an enthusiast of leather goods, I'm excited that The Focal for Bentley Radiance Headphones uses an abundance of full-grain leather from Pittards. (The Focal Stellia also uses Pittards leather.) The Radiance's Bentley design flourishes -- the Bentley logo, the diamond motif grille, the aforementioned leather, the copper finish -- results in Focal's best-looking headphone to date (in my opinion). I think it's gorgeous.

Focal Radiance for Bentley black background w.cable.jpg

Focal Radiance side on black background.jpg

The Radiance uses Focal's solid aluminum/magnesium M-shaped dome, and has an all-new tuning. I'm very curious to hear what sound signature they've gone with for the Radiance, but I'm told it will be warmer than the Elegia, which, for my tastes, is good news. I hope there are other sonic improvements that come with the Radiance, and I'll find out soon. (We haven't heard it yet, but will soon.)

Suggested retail pricing for the Focal for Bentley Radiance will be £1199/€1299/$1299.

Here are a couple of the official photos (below) and the Radiance spec sheet (attached). (I've also attached the spec sheet for the Naim Mu-so for Bentley Special Edition.)

EDIT 2020-09-14 0919 EDT: Added pricing information.

Attachments

• Focal Radiance spec sheet.pdf
    291.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Naim Mu-so for Bentley Special Edition Spec Sheet.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 1,465
Well, people were right it would be called Radiance. Looks really good.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 1,465
i thought with prestige Bentley association they'd use the Beryllium not the Al/Mg dome...

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 1,465
i thought with prestige Bentley association they'd use the Beryllium not the Al/Mg dome...
True, not having the Beryllium driver is a bummer. Reliability issues for the Beryllium drivers on the Utopia?

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #8 of 1,465

I updated the first post with pricing information. It seems they were shooting for a price point well below the Stellia.

So, if a Bentley level headphone is US$1,299 - what’s that say about the $2K-$4K headphones we cherish so...? 😳

Unless they're diehard headphone audio enthusiasts (like us), perhaps even most who'd buy a Bentley would find that price range on the high side for a headphone.

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #15 of 1,465
So what is exactly the difference between this and the Elegia besides different looks and tuning? The Stellia has the Be driver.

I will definitely check it once it becomes available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back