Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Mar 30, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #421 of 1,465
Thank you. Can you recommend which cable terminating 3.5mm also 10foot. I found Periapt website.
You can specify any length and any connectors. For the Radiance, I ordered their "Type 8", and asked for 10 ft rather than their default 5 ft. You can choose a color.
I will say that their cable is fairly microphonic when rubbing against my clothes.

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #422 of 1,465
Hi guys ........ I have been very interested in the Radiance as my travel headphone......i have the LCD X ......how would you guys say the sound compares to that.........also I am also currently considering one other competitor to Radiance that is ZMF ATTICUS .......has anyone tried both of them.....if so how would you say they compare to each other.......
Any advice would be great ☺️
Thankyou 🙏
P.S : I do love me some thick and deep BASS which is the best for that???
I know there has been quite a few responses but here's my quick two cents as well.

I have heard both the Atticus as well as the Radiance and I own an Aeolus. The Radiance (at least my unit) is highly capable in deep bass but doesn't extend as far as the Atticus. It certainly doesn't compete with the LCDX in this regard as well but I don't know if there's a dynamic that would.

The Radiance to my ears is quite a bit cleaner and better articulated in the bass though than the Atticus. Other than that the Radiance is definitely tuned similarly to ZMF and is the closest to that warm/lush tuning in Focal's current line-up.

I'm using the stock pads and haven't tried the Dekoni pads. I would suspect that the best option for Dekoni pads would be solid's as the perforated pads would lose some of the bass density and quantity because of the lack of seal.

To directly and longwindedly answer your question I'd gravitate towards the Atticus for thick deep bass. I absolutely love the Radiance though and It'll remain in my personal collection.

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #423 of 1,465
I know this is a bit off topic but I just got a call from my brother in law who works at a Hi-Fi shop and I have access to an HE-1 this upcoming Saturday for an hour or so. It's a pretty silly comparison but I was going to bring my Radiance and Aeolus down just for A/B sake.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any TOTL headphones so I can't do a better comparison.

Mar 31, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #424 of 1,465
Mar 31, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #425 of 1,465
Apr 1, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #426 of 1,465
Hi,

How do these compare to the Beyerdynamic t5 3rd gen or ZMF atticus sound wise?

From reading reviews they all sound similar.
I'm especially curious about the differences in bass, since i will be using them for fun immersive gaming.

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #427 of 1,465
I know this is a bit off topic but I just got a call from my brother in law who works at a Hi-Fi shop and I have access to an HE-1 this upcoming Saturday for an hour or so. It's a pretty silly comparison but I was going to bring my Radiance and Aeolus down just for A/B sake.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any TOTL headphones so I can't do a better comparison.
Set aside from technicalities, HE1 has significant different in sound presentation (in electrostatic way) and character compare to Aeolus or Radiance (both dynamic drivers tuned darker). Would be a fun comparison!

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #428 of 1,465
I own Focal Cleer, not for a long time, but got a taste of them... I was raised with XBA-Z5 as my beloved headphones, and for a moment considered to try Radiance as a , potentially, more full sounding cans with a bit of sound isolation. I tried them in a local shop playing from naim Atom.. and after just few songs felt surprise at best. Fisrt, the bass is there, and its really low, but then , to my ears, somewhere around 100hz its... loosing its potency to a point of being really anaemic. I really loved highs, To my ears there were really pleasant. BUT, its hard for me to judge mid tones as I instantly felt the scene of headphones, their.. phisical scene. I really felt unnatural reverb, like a can sound, like a lack of dumping in the can itself. With medium vilume it created almost wall of sound to my ears, one with no slam justa bit of sweet subbase wisper. Then we moved to Focal Arche, and still I was able to hear cans adding to the reverbs, adding their own internal echo. This was the only pair.. I tried Stellia ( Infinite looove for those Masters ), but to my ears there was something odd with Radiance unit I tried. Did anyone have same issues?
Also , Clear lacks sub base - a lot actually - but Base is far more solid, physical and full to my ears.

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #429 of 1,465
I own Focal Cleer, not for a long time, but got a taste of them... I was raised with XBA-Z5 as my beloved headphones, and for a moment considered to try Radiance as a , potentially, more full sounding cans with a bit of sound isolation. I tried them in a local shop playing from naim Atom.. and after just few songs felt surprise at best. Fisrt, the bass is there, and its really low, but then , to my ears, somewhere around 100hz its... loosing its potency to a point of being really anaemic. I really loved highs, To my ears there were really pleasant. BUT, its hard for me to judge mid tones as I instantly felt the scene of headphones, their.. phisical scene. I really felt unnatural reverb, like a can sound, like a lack of dumping in the can itself. With medium vilume it created almost wall of sound to my ears, one with no slam justa bit of sweet subbase wisper. Then we moved to Focal Arche, and still I was able to hear cans adding to the reverbs, adding their own internal echo. This was the only pair.. I tried Stellia ( Infinite looove for those Masters ), but to my ears there was something odd with Radiance unit I tried. Did anyone have same issues?
Also , Clear lacks sub base - a lot actually - but Base is far more solid, physical and full to my ears.

Understandable. I think your ears already got used to Z5's character. Something like Sony MDR Z1R or Audeze LCD-X would be better suit.

About echo you mentioned, welcome to close back headphone world. At some point, all of them would reflect that effect, some more and some less than the others.

Apr 2, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #430 of 1,465
The thing is.. that , Yes I did consider Z1R, but after few sessions with Focal Clear, I fell for them totally too... they do need a right... source for sure and my brighter sources do not fit them, but with more organic, warmer Amp they do sound stellar.. mesmerising. My concern with radiance was that... well I used closed cans most of my life.. Clears are my second open ones, and yet found Radiance really.. super boxy. I don't remember cans that would have such a pronounced footprint of the can and its physical sonic limitation. I did try Senn 820, and with their ... issues, they did sound so much more open and deep without any reverbs from can itself. Maybe it's just me.

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #431 of 1,465
The thing is.. that , Yes I did consider Z1R, but after few sessions with Focal Clear, I fell for them totally too... they do need a right... source for sure and my brighter sources do not fit them, but with more organic, warmer Amp they do sound stellar.. mesmerising. My concern with radiance was that... well I used closed cans most of my life.. Clears are my second open ones, and yet found Radiance really.. super boxy. I don't remember cans that would have such a pronounced footprint of the can and its physical sonic limitation. I did try Senn 820, and with their ... issues, they did sound so much more open and deep without any reverbs from can itself. Maybe it's just me.
Maybe your ears got adjusted to the airiness of the Clears. The Radiance does have a really good seal, I can almost take these to the gun range for hearing protection, so I can see how these may seem boxy compared to other closedbacks. You can swap in Dekoni fenestrated pads to open up the sound a lot, but you'll lose the warm characteristics. Most likely these headphones are not for you.

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #434 of 1,465
So—who won:smirk:?

And by how much?
Yeah. Got to spend two hours with it yesterday. This was a private demo for a unit that is being sold today. Sennheiser flew it in for this weekend only. Unbelievable experience that I’ll never forget. I'll be totally honest once I got there and listened to three tracks I didn't want to put the Radiance back on.

I did however A/B test on five tracks for 30sec each. The legends are real and the HE-1 won by an absolute mile. The Radiance kept up in bass for midbass depth but the sub bass and definition is on another level with the HE-1. Detail retrieval is not the same at all and the Radiance sounds lackluster by comparison.
IMG_2215.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2219.jpg
    IMG_2219.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 4, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #435 of 1,465

Users who are viewing this thread

Back