Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 2, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #3,016 of 4,840
I have to say the Elegia have been the best purchase I made since I got into "Hifi"

They sound really good with just about everything.

I'm even using them with my ps5 now, since I discovered that the USB out of the ps5 works with my cxn V2.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-02-08-09-14-435_com.qobuz.music.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-02-08-09-14-435_com.qobuz.music.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 0
Oct 2, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #3,017 of 4,840
I’m debating whether or not to purchase the Tripowin Granvia headphone cable over on Drop. The price is decent for what I’m looking for (4.4mm, 3m cable) - any good reason not purchase it?

Or would I be better off chasing an all silver cable to boost the highs? (I’d like the highs to be a little more prominent)

Thanks in advance for the help guys!
I am using the Meze 2.5mm balanced cable for my Elegias. Nice materials, no microphonics. Good value. I do not detect any change in sound quality (other then a slight expansion from the balanced output).

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #3,018 of 4,840
I am using the Meze 2.5mm balanced cable for my Elegias. Nice materials, no microphonics. Good value. I do not detect any change in sound quality (other then a slight expansion from the balanced output).
I bought one of these. Failed within two weeks with very light use. Not saying they're all like that, but I was unimpressed and would recommend other brands - Hart Audio, Corpse Cable, etc. They may cost a little more but I'd say it's worth it.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #3,019 of 4,840
I bought one of these. Failed within two weeks with very light use. Not saying they're all like that, but I was unimpressed and would recommend other brands - Hart Audio, Corpse Cable, etc. They may cost a little more but I'd say it's worth it.
Yeah you probably got an unlucky draw. Very satisfied and happy owner here...

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #3,020 of 4,840
Still using these bad boys every day for music, TV and Playstation games.

But I start to feel the itch to buy something else.

And a second pair of headphones doesn't seem to be that unreasonable.

Did someone here compare the Focal Elegia with the Dan Clark Aeon 2 noire or the bayerdynamic Tesla T5?

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #3,021 of 4,840

Did someone here compare the Focal Elegia with the Dan Clark Aeon 2 noire or the bayerdynamic Tesla T5?
I am running a pair of DCA Ether CX and they are a great contrast to the Elegia; much more open and spacious sounding, with a much larger soundstage; more transparent with greater resolution. But they are more "black and white" sounding, vs the Elegia's richer tonal colors.

I briefly heard the T5 3rd before mistakenly returning them. (they were horribly uncomfortable for my big ears, but I didn't bother to try different pads - amateur move). I really miss their sound, and eventually will buy another pair - to replace either the Elegia or CX.

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #3,023 of 4,840
I am running a pair of DCA Ether CX and they are a great contrast to the Elegia; much more open and spacious sounding, with a much larger soundstage; more transparent with greater resolution. But they are more "black and white" sounding, vs the Elegia's richer tonal colors.

I briefly heard the T5 3rd before mistakenly returning them. (they were horribly uncomfortable for my big ears, but I didn't bother to try different pads - amateur move). I really miss their sound, and eventually will buy another pair - to replace either the Elegia or CX.

Sounds like the DCA would be a fun headphone for live concerts and movies.

Oct 17, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #3,024 of 4,840

I had the T5p Gen.2 and made a short comparison with the Elegia a couple of months back (you’ll be able to find it if you browse through my first messages on this thread). I’ve sold the T5p Gen.2 however as they were my “portable pair”, I replaced them with the CA Cascade because they’re smaller and foldable when I’m on-the-go. I’ve never heard the Gen.3 though

Oct 19, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #3,025 of 4,840
hi all quick question

i have the chance to buy a new unopened set of Elegia for about 50% of the price of the celestee

I have never tried any focal hp before (nor do i have the ability to try them first. i currently have dca aeon 2 noir closed (my only set of closed back so far) hifiman arya (se), hifiman 400i(2020) sennheiser hd6xx, 58x,599, 598, 595. i am looking to add a set of focals to my collection but am wondering if its worth the extra to get the celestee over the Elegia ( elegia about $800 aud, while the celestee are $1400aud)
I'm not concerned about issues with the default cable as i have a bunch of hart cables here that should work for them

as for what i listen to (if it helps ) mostly, tool, celldweller, older rock and metal and anything from John denver through to Nin, and pretty much anything that isnt jazz

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #3,026 of 4,840
If you're willing to buy used, you can probably find the Elegia for considerably less. Just something to keep in mind.

Oct 20, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #3,027 of 4,840
hi all quick question

i have the chance to buy a new unopened set of Elegia for about 50% of the price of the celestee

I have never tried any focal hp before (nor do i have the ability to try them first. i currently have dca aeon 2 noir closed (my only set of closed back so far) hifiman arya (se), hifiman 400i(2020) sennheiser hd6xx, 58x,599, 598, 595. i am looking to add a set of focals to my collection but am wondering if its worth the extra to get the celestee over the Elegia ( elegia about $800 aud, while the celestee are $1400aud)
I'm not concerned about issues with the default cable as i have a bunch of hart cables here that should work for them

as for what i listen to (if it helps ) mostly, tool, celldweller, older rock and metal and anything from John denver through to Nin, and pretty much anything that isnt jazz

any advice would be greatly appreciated
If you want the Focal sound, go for either the Elex or Clear OG (MG seems to be slightly controversial in their tuning). If you're willing to EQ, then I can openly recommend the Elegia and they can kind of get close to sounding like a closed-back Clear OG, but it does require a bit of tinkering with PEQ. The stock tuning of the Elegia to me sounded like an old AM radio, which renders inaccurate timbre, but could be a "colourful" presentation for you. I would still recommend the Clear OG if you want the Focal hosue sound cause its stock tonality is balanced and is well received by plenty of people who've heard them.

I can't comment on the Celestee as I have not heard them myself, but if you want a good sounding closed-back, you may check out Modhouse Argons, the AKG K371 or Shure SRH440 as great options.

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #3,028 of 4,840
hi all quick question
If it helps you, the founder of Focal was a giant Pink Floyd fan. And I ffind listening to Pink Floyd with the Elegia quite enjoyable. Listening to Take it Back from The Division Bell right now. Don't own any John Denver, but Folk and Country should be very good too.

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #3,029 of 4,840
My opinion is that somewhere along the long and treacherous course that lead us from

-the past days of “just headphone manufacturers being able to take measurements and having access to them, while everyone else reviewing a headphone was simply relying on their personal opinion, preferences and biases and their ability of intuitive vocabulary use and vernacular acrobatics”

to

-the most recent days of “everyone willing to purchase a measurement rig graduating and being elevated with much acclaim and gravitas to the self-proclaimed prestigious and popular acceptance level of sound/headphone connoisseur”

we lost track of where we wanted to end up.

Headphone measurements as they currently stand, are at best a questionable point of subjective reference with very little credibility or true usefulness for anything other than a reference point for the person that produced them and that individual’s equipment.
Anyone that has had even a very remote experience with engineering and/or scientifically trying to accurately and objectively measure THINGS, would know and appreciate that unless a measurement of the same “thing” under the same circumstances always produces EXACTLY THE SAME IDENTICAL results is NOT credible and therefore should NOT be considered as a proof or descriptor of ANYTHING really.

Measuring anything in a credible and
trustworthy manner is a precise science in and by itself alone. It requires and relies on deep scientific knowledge of the subject and the honing of scientific skill sets that is only possible through experience and training on specific methodologies and equipment.

Here are some important questions for all of us that often times we easily forget all of the above and take at face value the personal interpretations of subjective, non-scientific, and non-replicable “measurements” from all those self proclaimed “vetted headphone reviewers”:

-What’s the background of all of these reviewers? What are their education and training credentials in electrical and electronics engineering, signal processing and sound engineering? What TRULY allows them to pass and present their personal interpretations, opinions, preferences and biases OF non-scientific, subjective measurements (that most times they didn’t even take themselves!) as the descriptors and outliers of the sound characteristics and qualities of headphones?

-If these “reviewers” were truly able(=educated+trained+accredited) to take subjective, credible and scientifically replicable measurements of headphones and furthermore were also able(=educated+trained+accredited) to actually READ and INTERPRET them, wouldn’t they actually be into another line of work? Do you honestly believe that if they had laboured for years to acquire all the required education and skills, given their passion for music, audio equipment and headphones in particular, that they would have settled for the role of the “YouTube/Web headphone reviewer”?

All these people are in essence is at best (if their personal opinion is honest) hobbyists and promoters of products. None of them is in any better position than you would be to pass credible and subjective judgment on headphones. All they are able to do is express their PERSONAL opinion, preferences and bias; the fact that some of them are able to present their opinions etc in an entertaining/exciting/interesting way doesn’t grand their opinions ANY credibility whatsoever. All the claimed “experience with hundreds of headphones and DACs and AMPs” and “measurement taking and reading” and fancy production quality are, are simply the make-up of “credibility” and “varitas” on top of what AT THE CORE is nothing more than a PERSONAL OPINION that’s no better or worse than yours. The measurements and rigs are simply the make-up they’re putting on their personal opinions to give their YouTube/Web content (that they monetise in more ways than one😉) some allure of credibility and the needed illusion of subjectivity. In the past, measurement rigs, equipment and access to measurements wasn’t as easy, or as affordable. Nowadays it’s simply a commodity and that’s why these people are using these “tools” so extensively. Using certain tools extensively though DOES NOT MEAN that you’re actually knowledgeable, educated, trained and experienced enough to use them correctly and furthermore produce credible results with them; even less so that your “interpretations” are also correct.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #3,030 of 4,840
I do not measure, I listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back