Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Aug 15, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #2,088 of 4,827
I just ordered these last night for $399. Hoping I like these better then my Beyer T1.2's and can sell them to make my money back. I am trying to find a Vocal/Soundstage/Detail headphone for under $700-$800 and while I wasn't looking for a closed back, I shall see how it sounds before I judge :) Hopeful. I was close to just pulling the trigger on the recent iBasso SR2 and maybe the Hifiman Ananda, but this deal is too good to pass up trying them.

Finding it really hard to find something to compliment my LCD2 Classics and not pay more than them. Oof.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #2,089 of 4,827
That sounds like the Elegia with the Deknoni Sheepskin. However, there is that bass dip on the Elegia. It does not bother me, bothers others a lot. I rarely notice anything unusual, though I now use the Sheepskin all the time which might be the reason. I find the Elegia to be a very clear headphone with a lot of detail, which I love. The closed back is a benefit to me, I appreciate blocking out the noises around me. Edit: I should add that they are warmer then the 1990, but not a warm headphone.
I wouldn't say warmer. Just a more balanced/neutral presentation 😊. Damn I miss the 1990, haven't heard those in a while

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #2,090 of 4,827
Okay. Any of you guys have been on the fence about Elegia, the Adorama deal is back. Only now they have dropped the price to $399. :gs1000smile:

Go to Slickdeals and search for Elegia to get the promotional link that gives you the price.
Just gonna say it.... That's a F@$king BARGAIN!!!! I sold my Elegia and now seeing this makes me want to buy them again 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂.

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #2,091 of 4,827
I just ordered these last night for $399. Hoping I like these better then my Beyer T1.2's and can sell them to make my money back. I am trying to find a Vocal/Soundstage/Detail headphone for under $700-$800 and while I wasn't looking for a closed back, I shall see how it sounds before I judge :) Hopeful. I was close to just pulling the trigger on the recent iBasso SR2 and maybe the Hifiman Ananda, but this deal is too good to pass up trying them.

Finding it really hard to find something to compliment my LCD2 Classics and not pay more than them. Oof.
The Elegia are a great great great closed back. But will say it, the Ananda is 1 level higher. You get that extra separation and soundstage. I was very close to going for the Ananda but ended up going for the Ultrasone Edition 11. I am mind blown 😁. But after selling the Elegia a few days ago. I swear, it feels like a ghost of them is on my headphone stand calling me to get them back... I miss the Elegia heaps.

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #2,092 of 4,827
I'm keen on getting a better cable for mine. Still looking at options but just sure dropping $200+ (AUD) on a cable is going to make THAT much of a difference.

Keen to hear a silver cable though...I would like to hear those characteristics for sure.

I was looking at the Forza Audioworks Claire hybrid but yeah might try a cheaper silver vers first maybe.
Would you go for a Dyson Audio cable? They make really nice cables for a decently low price 😊

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #2,093 of 4,827
The Elegia are a great great great closed back. But will say it, the Ananda is 1 level higher. You get that extra separation and soundstage. I was very close to going for the Ananda but ended up going for the Ultrasone Edition 11. I am mind blown 😁. But after selling the Elegia a few days ago. I swear, it feels like a ghost of them is on my headphone stand calling me to get them back... I miss the Elegia heaps.

Yeah I feel like the Ananda would fit my needs, but I am definitely interested in at least trying the lower priced options before going straight for it. If for nothing else, but being able to have experience with more headphones for a decent amount of time. I'm hoping to find a gem that suits my music and ears well and just save a few hundred bucks along the way if I can! I'll leave my impressions here once I get them in my hands, have only owned 3 closed back headphones (Ultrasone Pro 550 & 900 + The Audio-Technica's SR6BT) so these will be the best closed I would have tried yet.

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #2,097 of 4,827
My old Lawton Denon AH-D5000's just destroyed the Elegia. Just got the AH-D7200 and it smokes them both. I kept the Elegia for three days before I sold it.
The Elegia isn't so bad, really. It has a decent level of technical prowess. Despite my penchant for boosted bass, I found the lows on the Elegia to be satisfactory; it helps that I knew what I was getting into when I purchased the Focal. I'm actually enjoying my time with the Elegia.

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #2,098 of 4,827
The Elegia isn't so bad, really. It has a decent level of technical prowess. Despite my penchant for boosted bass, I found the lows on the Elegia to be satisfactory; it helps that I knew what I was getting into when I purchased the Focal. I'm actually enjoying my time with the Elegia.
Agreed, they are not bad at all even at the regular price. They definitely are more lively than the D7200's with its subdued treble. That's the reason I sold my D7200's. The Elegia have much better dynamic than those as well. Equip the Elegia's with a silver cable and you fix most of its problem areas.

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #2,099 of 4,827
My old Lawton Denon AH-D5000's just destroyed the Elegia. Just got the AH-D7200 and it smokes them both. I kept the Elegia for three days before I sold it.

Well yeah, the Elegia is a completely different tonal profile and objective... not really sure what your point is. And a little bit of EQ goes a long way with these headphones.

Aug 16, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #2,100 of 4,827
I really don't understand how people feel the Elegia has low end that is "weak" or "lacking". I've owned the Audiosense T800, Vmoda M100, RHA T20 and other bass canons when I used to be a bass head and certainly, the low end on the Elegia is not bass head level, but for me. No where near lacking. It's either a bad seal or you music is lacking the low end where that dip is on the Elegia. Been listening to some seriously heavy EDM, The Prodigy, Wu Tang and so on and I can say the Elegia have awesome low end. Just to give it a boost, I also sometimes add 1.5 db at 31, 62 and 125 just to give it a little bit of extra oomph. But the low end for me is beyond satisfying. With Dekoni Sheepskin, it's a different story but I can't fault the low end at all with them. The treble part, it's extended but not extremely energetic like an Ananda or Edition 11. But it does have treble. Its a shame the Elegia didnt work out for you guys, hopefully something else comes along the way 😊 I for one, might get myself the Elegia again. Found an awesome deal in Australia and it's extremely tempting haha

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back