Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Aug 13, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #2,071 of 4,838
I am a new Elegia owner, having bought one recently because I was looking for a good closed-back headphone for a reasonable price. I do not often need a closed-back (apart from my Oppo PM-3 which I use on travel because of its good seal and its smaller form factor), so the Stellia (which I used to own too) is too expensive for a few dozens of hours of use per year.

I had the chance to test an Elegia already soon after its launch. At that time I liked it, but it did not fully convince me with the stock pads. I read that the Brainwavz HM5 leather pads would improve the sound without meaningfully changing its tonal balance. And yes, these ear pads imo really do make the sound slightly more balanced, with bass reaching a bit lower and, even more important, they enlarge the soundstage. The seller of my Elegia (who by the way went for the Stellia) advised me try the Elegia with an (expensive) OCC silver headphone cable. This reminded me that I still own a (much cheaper) OCC silver cable which I used for the Stellia before. The silver cable further improves the Elegia, tames the slight forwardness of the mids and improves both bass and treble. The Focal stock cable seems to have its own distinct sound, which I like in combination with the Utopia, but much less so with the slightly mid-centric Elegia. Now my modded Elegia is very close to the tonal optimum imho and I like it a lot.

The Stellia is still the king of closed-back headphones, faster and superior with very complex music, but the Elegia comes fairly close now. Focal could easily charge double the price for an Elegia with more synergistic ear pads and cabling.

Those interested in measurements of the Elegia with stock pads vs. Brainwavz leather pads may take a look at the following review (in German language):
https://www.miniklangwunder.de/arti...sener-high-end-kopfhoerer-der-referenzklasse/

Cheers,
Bernie

P.S. My Elegias with the leather brainies:
39211741ae.jpg
I'm keen on getting a better cable for mine. Still looking at options but just sure dropping $200+ (AUD) on a cable is going to make THAT much of a difference.

Keen to hear a silver cable though...I would like to hear those characteristics for sure.

I was looking at the Forza Audioworks Claire hybrid but yeah might try a cheaper silver vers first maybe.

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #2,072 of 4,838
With my EQ now locked in and a couple of weeks under my belt I'm just so hot-and-lukewarm with this headphone. Sometimes I put it on and am just immediately engaged in/thrilled with the sound and other times it's just... OK. Probably a 75% awesome/25% meh split right now. It's always the same source and general setup so that seemingly shouldn't be a variable; perhaps the fit/seal really is as picky as it seems?

In contrast every time I throw on my A-pad DT 1990s I'm very pleased but man, the times the Elegia hits the spot - as it's doing right now - I daresay I even slightly prefer it to the 1990s. Satisfying soundstage, precise imaging, solid bass depth and exceptional tightness, effortless detail, and great isolation (valuable for working from home). All of the recent posts about earpads and cables and whatnot just make me wonder about taking the plunge on all that or just keeping it simple with the 1990s and cashing out.

The definition of a first-world problem :)
I have the 1990's and Elegia as well. The Sheepskin Dekoni pads are great and well worth the price. I got the $20 Meze cable, much prefer that over the stock cable from Focal, and not a big price increase. For me, I am happy with having both pairs, they do just enough differently to warrant both, and I don't have any desire to buy another pair of headphones... for now. Sometimes that treble on the 1990's is more than I want, the Elegia fills the more relaxed listening experience without giving up detail.

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #2,073 of 4,838
I'm keen on getting a better cable for mine. Still looking at options but just sure dropping $200+ (AUD) on a cable is going to make THAT much of a difference.

Keen to hear a silver cable though...I would like to hear those characteristics for sure.

I was looking at the Forza Audioworks Claire hybrid but yeah might try a cheaper silver vers first maybe.

My braided silver cable is from MavisModz. It was sold new on Ebay for a bit over 100 Euros if I remember correctly. They also sold cheaper silver-plated copper cables. The Claire hybrid is a very good cable in general. In case that you are looking for more air and less pronounced mids, you can hardly go wrong with pure silver. What surprised me most is that the silver cable is not at all bass light with the Elegia. The same seems to be the case with the Moon Silver Dragon V2, which has more (and much better) bass than the stock cable according to the seller of my Elegia.

Hope that you find what you are looking for. :)

Cheers,
Bernie

Aug 14, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #2,074 of 4,838
My braided silver cable is from MavisModz. It was sold new on Ebay for a bit over 100 Euros if I remember correctly. They also sold cheaper silver-plated copper cables. The Claire hybrid is a very good cable in general. In case that you are looking for more air and less pronounced mids, you can hardly go wrong with pure silver. What surprised me most is that the silver cable is not at all bass light with the Elegia. The same seems to be the case with the Moon Silver Dragon V2, which has more (and much better) bass than the stock cable according to the seller of my Elegia.

Hope that you find what you are looking for. :)

Cheers,
Bernie
Thanks! Great info, appreciate it. Looks like MavisModz isn't doing much at the moment but I did find a Skyaudio cable on eBay with some solid options at a good price. Not sure if anyone's heard of these?
Might give it a go.

Just on the EQ front, can someone advise if it's always recommended to reduce preamp gain after adjusting EQ?
I've done a new setting with some tweaks slight gain at 4k,8k,16k and 105h and this is showing a 3db lift. I don't hear any clipping but wasn't sure if I need to reduce preamp by 3db to account for this and then turn up my phone amp gain ?

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #2,075 of 4,838
I have the 1990's and Elegia as well. The Sheepskin Dekoni pads are great and well worth the price. I got the $20 Meze cable, much prefer that over the stock cable from Focal, and not a big price increase. For me, I am happy with having both pairs, they do just enough differently to warrant both, and I don't have any desire to buy another pair of headphones... for now. Sometimes that treble on the 1990's is more than I want, the Elegia fills the more relaxed listening experience without giving up detail.
Argh just fighting so hard with myself deciding if I should get this too to complement my 1990s.

trying to find enough differences to justify it.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #2,076 of 4,838
Argh just fighting so hard with myself deciding if I should get this too to complement my 1990s.

trying to find enough differences to justify it.
Have you heard the Elegia? They are very similar headphones, but just different enough that it is worth hearing the Elegia's. Especially with the sheepskin pads. I go back and forth between the Elegia and the 1990 (with the A Pads, B pads and Dekoni Elite Velour don't work for me), I do love them both now.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #2,077 of 4,838
I actually have not... so far trying to base on reviews and forums.

I did listen to an elear this afternoon but also wondering whether it's accurate enough to extrapolate that aural info to what an elegy might sound like.

my main beef with the 1990 is I wanted something with just abit more meat to the vocals, some warmth, abit more laid back.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #2,078 of 4,838

I did listen to an elear this afternoon but also wondering whether it's accurate enough to extrapolate that aural info to what an elegy might sound like.

my main beef with the 1990 is I wanted something with just abit more meat to the vocals, some warmth, abit more laid back.
That sounds like the Elegia with the Deknoni Sheepskin. However, there is that bass dip on the Elegia. It does not bother me, bothers others a lot. I rarely notice anything unusual, though I now use the Sheepskin all the time which might be the reason. I find the Elegia to be a very clear headphone with a lot of detail, which I love. The closed back is a benefit to me, I appreciate blocking out the noises around me. Edit: I should add that they are warmer then the 1990, but not a warm headphone.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2,079 of 4,838

This recent comment of mine might help
Elegia are even easier to drive. To me, Elear has bigger soundstage, little better highs, more bass. Elegia will sound significantly more mids forward and bass light. I think the soundstage is good for a closed headphone.

Unless you get the Dekoni sheepskin pads (non-feenstrated). That gives the Elegia a little more subbass and midbass than the Elears. I reduced the sub bass a little with my Dekoni pads, and then the sound is very balanced to me with a warm tilt.

Elegia also have a sucky cable. Instead of the car jumper cable that comes with Elear, you get a very short cable with microphonics. I replaced my Elegia cable with the same cable replacement I use with my Elears.

Overall, I'm very happy to have the Elegia with Dekoni pads as my primary closed headphones. So if you try them, find them bass light, give the Dekoni pads a try.

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #2,081 of 4,838
Okay. Any of you guys have been on the fence about Elegia, the Adorama deal is back. Only now they have dropped the price to $399. :gs1000smile:

Go to Slickdeals and search for Elegia to get the promotional link that gives you the price.

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #2,084 of 4,838
$399 is the lowest I’ve seen... I pulled the trigger when it was $430, but this is even better.
I got them at $429 and thought that was a steal. They are excellent headphones and at that price it's a no brainer.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #2,085 of 4,838
I guess I get to he what these sound like then. Yowzah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back