Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 5, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #31 of 4,840
How is the sound isolation?

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #32 of 4,840
Hi Alan, if I’m not mistaken the Elegia shares essentially the exact same driver + voice coil as the Clear, correct?

BTW, thanks again for coming to the meet in Phoenix and bringing great gear.
They're calling it an 'all-new' driver, even though it looks exactly the same as the Elear/Elex/Clear driver. Voice coil is different - 35ohm vs 55ohm (Clear) and 80ohm (Elear/Elex).

Oct 5, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #34 of 4,840
Can't wait to do a shootout between the Elegia and the Sony Z7M2 at TSAV once they get demo units! :L3000:

Oct 5, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #35 of 4,840
Hi Alan, if I’m not mistaken the Elegia shares essentially the exact same driver + voice coil as the Clear, correct?

BTW, thanks again for coming to the meet in Phoenix and bringing great gear.

The dome is the same, but it's not the same driver overall. The surround is stiffer, for example. Here's a photo of the Elegia driver, which, as you can see, is quite a different assembly:

Focal_Elegia_driver_front.jpg Focal_Elegia_driver_rear.jpg

Oct 5, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #36 of 4,840
The dome is the same, but it's not the same driver overall. The surround is stiffer, for example. Here's a photo of the Elegia driver, which, as you can see, is quite a different assembly:

Thanks, Jude. Very cool to see that they designed a new driver specifically for the Elegia.

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #39 of 4,840
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #41 of 4,840
Thanks, Jude. Very cool to see that they designed a new driver specifically for the Elegia.

I think it would have to be different, since making it closed back changes the acoustics dramatically.

Looking forward to hearing listening impressions. I'm a big fan of the Clear, and would love to get a closed-back version which is comparably good.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #42 of 4,840
@TSAVAlan, would you say the Elegia would be a good complement to the Elear (i.e. would it be different enough in enough areas, rather than an overlap)? What would you say it does better than the Elear (isolation aside)? Also, how does it respond to pad swaps (what does it sound like with Clear pads, for example)?

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #43 of 4,840
@TSAVAlan, would you say the Elegia would be a good complement to the Elear (i.e. would it be different enough in enough areas, rather than an overlap)? What would you say it does better than the Elear (isolation aside)? Also, how does it respond to pad swaps (what does it sound like with Clear pads, for example)?
I'd like to know as well.
I had reviewed Elear a while back, and didn't like it enough to own.
Since Elegia is closed design which Focal seems put in some effort on its design,
I am eager to find out how it sounds.

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #44 of 4,840
I'd like to know as well.
I had reviewed Elear a while back, and didn't like it enough to own.
Since Elegia is closed design which Focal seems put in some effort on its design,
I am eager to find out how it sounds.
I actually love (and own) the Elear/Elex, so the Elegia would have to be different enough (in a good way, with different strengths) to own both.

Oct 5, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #45 of 4,840
I heard the Elegia today. To me it's a disappointment. To be sure, the super noisy CANJAM room may be part of the reason, but the top end for the Elgia seems to have been chopped off. It sounds very very muddled. However, it isolates quite well and the low end and midrange are pretty decent. For what it's worth, I'm comparing it to the Utopia ... so take that very brief impression with a lot of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back