Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Mar 7, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #1,066 of 4,840
I find the elegia is definitely toned down in terms of bass. I did informal test last night to see if my glasses had any impact on sound. I took them on and off and listened to same songs and specifically ones with strong bass. I heard no difference between with or without glasses.

I have Warby Parker frames with thick plastic around the ears.

The padding on the Elegia tend to conform around the glasses to create a seal.

I don’t believe it has any effect.
Could you mention which song you used to test Bass? i'd like to attain the same song possibly and when demo'ing a pair also want to try if i can hear no change. :)
my glasses are these hugos.
https://www.toniandguy-opticians.com/images/129401-129500/129454/129454_thumb.jpg
the arms i hope wont make too much of a seal opening on the pads.

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #1,067 of 4,840
There's something that has been bugging me about my pair, the right cup specifically. When ever I tilt / wiggle / move my head, I hear a ticking sound from the right cup. It's not loud but not quiet either. It's like something is loose and keeps bouncing with each movement. You can easily hear it and it drives me INSANE!

It doesn't happen all the time or with each minimum movement, but sometimes it gets really bad. I'm not talking hear about extreme, frequent, or strong tilting of the head. No.. I'm talking about random normal movements (sometimes even minimal like a 2-degree tilt) while listening and browsing my laptop. I tried to take pads off/on, plug out the cables to see if it's the culprit, and change fit, but to no avail.

Is that normal and I'm getting too analytical or what is going on in the cup ?? It's definitely not cable microphonics. It's only from the right cup as the left is solid and dead silent

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #1,068 of 4,840
Maybe something in the right side of the headband mechanism that is creaking? Have you taken the phones off, moved the headband while holding it near your ear?

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #1,069 of 4,840
There's something that has been bugging me about my pair, the right cup specifically. When ever I tilt / wiggle / move my head, I hear a ticking sound from the right cup. It's not loud but not quiet either. It's like something is loose and keeps bouncing with each movement. You can easily hear it and it drives me INSANE!

It doesn't happen all the time or with each minimum movement, but sometimes it gets really bad. I'm not talking hear about extreme, frequent, or strong tilting of the head. No.. I'm talking about random normal movements (sometimes even minimal like a 2-degree tilt) while listening and browsing my laptop. I tried to take pads off/on, plug out the cables to see if it's the culprit, and change fit, but to no avail.

Is that normal and I'm getting too analytical or what is going on in the cup ?? It's definitely not cable microphonics. It's only from the right cup as the left is solid and dead silent
do you hear the rattling when music is playing? I sent my first pair back as I felt there was something wrong w the way the left earcup sat and my wife complained of noise leakage. The second pair fir better and way less leakage. So, my guess is that there are some quality control issues that sneak by. Rattling to me means something dislodged. May not be an issue w sound now, but what about after the warranty expires? Can you exchange them?

Mar 7, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,070 of 4,840
Maybe something in the right side of the headband mechanism that is creaking? Have you taken the phones off, moved the headband while holding it near your ear?
Upon further examining, you're absolutely right! It's the headband that creaks. I can reproduce the sound whenever I stretch and compress the band. It comes from the top right part inside the leather padding. I wonder if it'll get better if I keep it stretched for sometime ? Do you have any ideas as what to do ?

I don't think I can take the headband apart.

do you hear the rattling when music is playing? I sent my first pair back as I felt there was something wrong w the way the left earcup sat and my wife complained of noise leakage. The second pair fir better and way less leakage. So, my guess is that there are some quality control issues that sneak by. Rattling to me means something dislodged. May not be an issue w sound now, but what about after the warranty expires? Can you exchange them?
Yeah I can hear it even with music playing, but I just found out it's the headband not the cups themselves. Something needs lubricating maybe (?) lol

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #1,071 of 4,840
Upon further examining, you're absolutely right! It's the headband that creaks. I can reproduce the sound whenever I stretch and compress the band. It comes from the top right part inside the leather padding. I wonder if it'll get better if I keep it stretched for sometime ? Do you have any ideas as what to do ?

I don't think I can take the headband apart.
Sounds like something is amiss under the padding, perhaps parts of the metal band rubbing against each other. I would not attempt to go in there. Best give Focal (or dealer) a shout and let them know and ask for a new one.

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #1,072 of 4,840
I have these for a few days now and man do they grow on you! This is my first Focal and I like them a lot! When I sold my Beyer T5p I knew I was going to miss them but I needed something "better". Tried LCD2cb but those are just to heavy for me.
wagered between aeon flow closed and these and when I saw these with a discount I did my math:
- I have a nice cable for the elegia already since they have a well known plug: 3.5mm jack (neotech up-occ cables by Arctic cables are just very nice thin, flexible but very transparent)
- I can easily swap and alter pads instead of messing with double sided tape or glue
I'm a elegia fan now. Before brain burn-in these sound distant (?) and shallow compared to TH900 but that fades away very fast. They sounded thin at the start but quite thick now even (bass is deep, hard and fast when asked for).
I did do a pad swap; but that is me. I always swap pads and cover the headband to keep the headphones as best as possible. Since this is a closed headphone I thought the full sheepskin dekoni pads would suit best and they sound almost the same as stock.
Clamp is quite strong but OK, ambient missus deduction is above par (my reference here is t5p, lcd2cb was worse).

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,074 of 4,840
I love these. To reply to a few subjects discussed in the past few pages:

These sound pretty close, frequency response wise, to my pair of high end reference monitors. Perhaps I'm just lucky with a good match (the monitors are Sceptres), but I've never heard reference monitors and headphones sound so alike.

I don't think these headphones are spacious in the "sounds like they're coming further away from your head" sense. In that sense I find them relatively closed in and present (others might describe this as "intimate"). I do find them wide in a stereo field / 180 degrees sense, but not spacious.

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #1,075 of 4,840
I have these for a few days now and man do they grow on you! This is my first Focal and I like them a lot! When I sold my Beyer T5p I knew I was going to miss them but I needed something "better". Tried LCD2cb but those are just to heavy for me.
wagered between aeon flow closed and these and when I saw these with a discount I did my math:
- I have a nice cable for the elegia already since they have a well known plug: 3.5mm jack (neotech up-occ cables by Arctic cables are just very nice thin, flexible but very transparent)
- I can easily swap and alter pads instead of messing with double sided tape or glue
I'm a elegia fan now. Before brain burn-in these sound distant (?) and shallow compared to TH900 but that fades away very fast. They sounded thin at the start but quite thick now even (bass is deep, hard and fast when asked for).
I did do a pad swap; but that is me. I always swap pads and cover the headband to keep the headphones as best as possible. Since this is a closed headphone I thought the full sheepskin dekoni pads would suit best and they sound almost the same as stock.
Clamp is quite strong but OK, ambient missus deduction is above par (my reference here is t5p, lcd2cb was worse).
Could you link the Dekoni pads you used, and do you wear glasses? how is the seal? :)
Also, i agree with you completely, i was looking at either the Focal Elegia or the LCD2C closed (new one with the black and white arrow design) and i wasnt sure. im also looking at the Sony Z7m2, not sure if you had a chance to try thoes also.
Im a bit concerned about the thin sound you mentioned, ive heard many people say that it lingers and never goes away even after weeks of use, they still sound thin in some cases?
I'm coming from a DT1990 Pro, Th900mk2, B&O H6(2nd gen) and B&W P7. do you think the focal sounds close to the DT1990 Pros per say?

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #1,076 of 4,840
Could you link the Dekoni pads you used, and do you wear glasses? how is the seal? :)
Also, i agree with you completely, i was looking at either the Focal Elegia or the LCD2C closed (new one with the black and white arrow design) and i wasnt sure. im also looking at the Sony Z7m2, not sure if you had a chance to try thoes also.
Im a bit concerned about the thin sound you mentioned, ive heard many people say that it lingers and never goes away even after weeks of use, they still sound thin in some cases?
I'm coming from a DT1990 Pro, Th900mk2, B&O H6(2nd gen) and B&W P7. do you think the focal sounds close to the DT1990 Pros per say?
About the pads: https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...skin-earpad-set-for-focal-elear-clear-utopia/ Gives it a Stellia feel :wink:
I wear glasses and have no issues at all with the seal. Never have with any dekoni pads I ever tried. I had the 'thin' feeling again yesterday and checked a few times if I had any issues anywhere, put them back on and it was gone .... Not sure yet where it comes from but maybe it's a brain issue.
I have had almost all modern beyerdynamic except for the DT1990 so cannot compare it to that one. I can A/B directly between the fostex th900sb and elegia but haven't done that yet. Used the elegia 100% the last few days. Need to determine if I send them back or not (if I send them back it's to sponsor the Stellia :))

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #1,077 of 4,840
About the pads: https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...skin-earpad-set-for-focal-elear-clear-utopia/ Gives it a Stellia feel :wink:
I wear glasses and have no issues at all with the seal. Never have with any dekoni pads I ever tried. I had the 'thin' feeling again yesterday and checked a few times if I had any issues anywhere, put them back on and it was gone .... Not sure yet where it comes from but maybe it's a brain issue.
I have had almost all modern beyerdynamic except for the DT1990 so cannot compare it to that one. I can A/B directly between the fostex th900sb and elegia but haven't done that yet. Used the elegia 100% the last few days. Need to determine if I send them back or not (if I send them back it's to sponsor the Stellia :))
When you mention the seal thats with dekoni pads, but what about the default pads? i heard the stiffer velour doesnt seal well :frowning2:

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #1,079 of 4,840
How do you guys clean your Elegia pad? Should I rinse it with water/soap? Would it damage the pad? Much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Not there yet, but before doing anything:
  • I would reach out to their customer service or your dealer.
  • Second option I would explore is my favorite dry cleaner. They know a lot and as soon they know fabric they might be able to help.
  • Third option is the pricey pad replacement

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #1,080 of 4,840
How do you guys clean your Elegia pad? Should I rinse it with water/soap? Would it damage the pad? Much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Long ago when I had only my first two pairs of Sennheisers (also velours pads) I found a guide similar to this one:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/208991-a-simple-way-to-clean-and-wash-headphones-velour-pads/
A Google search will yield similar posts and other options, forum post with options tried by people etc...
https://www.google.com/search?clien...iz.......0i71j0i7i30j0i8i13i10i30.Koy90Hcheh0
You can't do that much wrong anyway, when you really mess it up there is always the possibility of ordering replacement pads.
Pricey? Don't know how expensive the Focal pads are but keep in mind that eventually your pads will flatten down and they will have to be replaced anyway for your headphones to deliver the best sound.

And preventing can go a long way as well. I always use my phones on a clean head/clean hair, I shower twice a day.
And a gentle wipe with a lightly damp microfiber cloth after usage for the night is also a good idea. I don't always do that though I have to admit.
For me the two above things work since I only use my phones at home.
It's always easier to keep them clean frequently than having to clean them thoroughly after letting dirt build up for a long time.

Oh, and for real leather pads I use a leather cream to both protect them and keep them smooth and supple. The one I use is sold by Audeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back