Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #2,041 of 4,838
I have both Elegia and Stellia headphones and the stock cables aren’t very good. I replaced the Elegia’s cable with a Forza Audio Works cable and its a big improvement. Just waiting for my Forza cable for the Stellia to arrive.

Definitely worth upgrading the cables imo.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #2,042 of 4,838
Thanks. I have been shopping for an aftermarket cable, and this looks intriguing. It's a shame that the only options are 1.2 and 2 metres; my preferred length is actually 1.5. Anyway, I'll be picking up an (affordable) custom cable soon.

Maybe this will help. I picked up an 18-in headphone extender from Ghent gudio a few years ago, with male 4.4mm and female 3.5mm. I leave it permanently plugged into my headphone amp because I like to switch headphones, and it drapes across the left side of my desk brought up towards the front. And that saves the headphone jack on the amp. So then the 1.2 works fabulous for me.

Aug 7, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #2,043 of 4,838
Good for you, definitely there's no such thing as a one size fits all. Just started the Amazon's return process, couldn't stand the clamping, specially on the headband. 😩

My pair has settled in a bit but comfortable placement is still trickier than I'd like it to be. Can't say I have any issues with the clamp though.

Aug 7, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #2,044 of 4,838
I have both Elegia and Stellia headphones and the stock cables aren’t very good. I replaced the Elegia’s cable with a Forza Audio Works cable and its a big improvement. Just waiting for my Forza cable for the Stellia to arrive.

Definitely worth upgrading the cables imo.
Which Forza cable did you go with for the Elegia? I bought a cheap replacement cable from Amazon but it's a noticeable decline in SQ. These look good! Just wondering which would suit best.

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #2,045 of 4,838
If detail retrieval was the top priority however, I probably would switch back to the original pads for mixing or mastering purposes.
I've used M50x's for mixing for so long and when I got the Elegia and started working on tracks it really through me. Especially the mids. I've gone back to the m50's but might start using the Elegia for a new track with fresh ears

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #2,046 of 4,838
I've used M50x's for mixing for so long and when I got the Elegia and started working on tracks it really through me. Especially the mids. I've gone back to the m50's but might start using the Elegia for a new track with fresh ears
I haven't heard the M50's, how do they compare to the Elegia's? The mids are more forward on the Elegia's I take it?

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #2,047 of 4,838
I haven't heard the M50's, how do they compare to the Elegia's? The mids are more forward on the Elegia's I take it?
It's not a fair comparison at all, but, here we go.

The Elegia is the more balanced of the 2, with mids that aren't scooped. As a result, vocals are more prominent; compared to the Elegia, the M50 has a midrange that is recessed, with instruments and voices appearing to be several steps behind in the perceived stage. The Focal has a linear bass response, with good, fast attack, and decent layering. The M50 has a boosted mid-bass, so you'll get a little more thump. The Audio-Technica is also the brighter headphone, with prominent peaks in its treble. In comparison, the Elegia has controlled higher registers, with good sparkle and clarity.

Aug 8, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #2,048 of 4,838
Different strokes for different folks, definitely. For me, the Elegia is very enjoyable to listen to; I have yet to experience issues with its clamping force, or with comfort, in general. About the only thing that annoys me when I use the Elegia is its woeful cable constantly getting in the way of my arms. It is so stiff, it doesn't naturally "fall" downwards; the cable's constantly sticking out. Argh. I'll probably be replacing them in the near future.
The clamping force is for a lack of words... situational? Sometimes I’ve noticed it while Ive worn it but other times when I got the “perfect fit” it I didn’t notice it. But the Elegia has this thing where I feel that you’ll always notice it when you wear it even if it’s only a little bit.

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #2,049 of 4,838
Does anyone know what the material is on the outer ear cup where the logo is? I noticed a light black mark and used a soft microfiber cloth to wipe it and it's made like a swirl mark.
Not sure of the best way to clean it. Don't want to make it worse.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200809-134425_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200809-134425_Gallery.jpg
    934.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 9, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #2,050 of 4,838
What about using a replacement 4.4 balanced cable? Better than a 3.5?

School has been keeping me extremely busy, so just now saw your question. I’m sure you’ve already figured this out on your own, but yes, a nice 4.4 balanced cable plugged into a 4.4 to xlr adapter and plugged into the balanced out of my THX 789 take the Elegia to the next level. I did get a replacement stock cable under warranty after filing a claim, but only so that I can have it to maximize resale value if I ever decide to part ways with the Elegia. Never even took it out of it’s shipping envelope.

Two things that take joy out of using great cans. Personally I would be willing to pay for an aftermarket cable just to have these two issues sorted.

I paid $120 for my replacement cable, and it has proven to be worth every penny.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #2,051 of 4,838
Does anyone know what the material is on the outer ear cup where the logo is? I noticed a light black mark and used a soft microfiber cloth to wipe it and it's made like a swirl mark.
Not sure of the best way to clean it. Don't want to make it worse.

I’m not 100% certain, but it looks and feels like aluminum to me. Looks like you scuffed the finish.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #2,052 of 4,838
Everybody says you need leather pads to increase bass on this HP. Just to be clear, is that Dekoni leather pads or by another manufacturer?

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #2,053 of 4,838
What amps are you guys using and or recommending???
Asgard 3 4490 myself might move to pure class A or one of the super low distortion units Atom or THX possibly
Anyone using Xduoo xd05??

I know this reply is a couple of weeks late, but I believe that the THX 789 is the best bang for the buck out there right now. I paired it with an SMSL SU-8, and I love the combination. It does what an amp is supposed to do, amplify the signal without adding or taking away anything. It’s insanely clean, and perfectly neutral. I was listening to the Elegia almost exclusively out of my Chord Mojo prior to buying the 789, but the Mojo has been collecting dust ever since. In comparison to the Mojo, the 789 opend up the Elegia’s soundstage, slightly improved the already great dynamics, and improved clarity. Also noticed better imaging.

I also own the xDuoo XD-05, and I would not recommend it. It sounds fine, and is definitely a good value. But, like others have said, it‘s too bulky to be a good portable. It’s also outclassed in every way by the Mojo. If you want a true portable amp, the Mojo is probably still the best...though it does have a few quirks and is expensive for a portable amp. I do wish that THX portable DAPs had been a thing back when I was looking for a portable solution. If I was in the market for something portable, I would go that route.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #2,054 of 4,838
Everybody says you need leather pads to increase bass on this HP. Just to be clear, is that Dekoni leather pads or by another manufacturer?

I’m pretty sure that the only pads currently available that fit the Elegia are the Focal pads and the Dekoni pads for Focal headphones. All of the feedback about leather pads in this thread has specifically for the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin. Those pads do make the Elegia bass sound insanely good, but there are some minor trade-offs. The treble takes a slight hit, but the deal breaker for me was that they made my Elegia sound noticeably more closed in.

One of my favorite things about the Elegia is how open they sound, for a closed back headphone. The Dekoni pads take some of that away. I kept them on for a full day because the bass was so good, but I still couldn’t shake the feeling that something was being lost, so I switched back to the stock pads. The bass immediately went from supremely good to just very good, but the Elegia opened up again. Soundstage and imaging both improved, and the treble sounded perfect to me again.

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #2,055 of 4,838
Hey whatever works for you.

I have the Focal Elegia, Clear Pro and Utopia. I stuck with the stock cable on all of them and have had none of the issues you've had.

Good for you, but a quick search makes it very clear that there are plenty of other people who’ve had the cable fail. Even if your cable doesn’t fail, it still sucks. It’s short, very stiff, and extremely microphonic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back