Focal Elegia Measurements
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #31 of 121
That and who in their right mind would pay $4k for a closed headphone?
Well, if Stax offered a closed SR-009...

Oct 7, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #35 of 121
That 1.8k spike in Elegia's FR bugs me a bit, but they look well behaved otherwise. Hope to see some impressions/reviews soon.

Oct 7, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #36 of 121
Ot: mm...just for the record, a closed-back “Focal Utopia” is not outlandish, regardless of price. I don’t believe that Elegia represents the very best closed-back that Focal can ever make. It is not TOTL, more like mid-fi/budget-fi stuff....not summit-fi. Now, whether Focal France decides to release a true totl closed-back that can compete with the HD 820, Sony Z1R, Ether Flow C or Audeze LCD XC (I seriously doubt that the Elegia can outperform those closed-backs), well, that remains to be seen. I am hoping that they would in the near future. That question remains in the realm of speculation.

If they nix the idea, that will be a gaping hole in their product portfolio of headphones. They already cover the low-end of the market with their Spirit and Sphere, the mid-fi with the Clear and Elear, and the summit-fi with their Utopia and, now the closed back mid-fi with the Elegia.

Can you see the hole? I certainly can.

And, yes, I will pay 4k usd for a TOTL closed-back provided that the speculated “Focal Utopia” closed-back (or whatever they decide to designate it) REALLY delivers in terms of performance.

Have you listened to the Audeze LCD XC paired with the Chord DAVE and Chord Blu MK II? Mind-blown, even if the XC is a closed-back.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #38 of 121
Ot: mm...just for the record, a closed-back “Focal Utopia” is not outlandish, regardless of price. I don’t believe that Elegia represents the very best closed-back that Focal can ever make. It is not TOTL, more like mid-fi/budget-fi stuff....not summit-fi. Now, whether Focal France decides to release a true totl closed-back that can compete with the HD 820, Sony Z1R, Ether Flow C or Audeze LCD XC (I seriously doubt that the Elegia can outperform those closed-backs), well, that remains to be seen. I am hoping that they would in the near future. That question remains in the realm of speculation.

If they nix the idea, that will be a gaping hole in their product portfolio of headphones. They already cover the low-end of the market with their Spirit and Sphere, the mid-fi with the Clear and Elear, and the summit-fi with their Utopia and, now the closed back mid-fi with the Elegia.

Can you see the hole? I certainly can.

And, yes, I will pay 4k usd for a TOTL closed-back provided that the speculated “Focal Utopia” closed-back (or whatever they decide to designate it) REALLY delivers in terms of performance.

Have you listened to the Audeze LCD XC paired with the Chord DAVE and Chord Blu MK II? Mind-blown, even if the XC is a closed-back.
seeing as you appear to equate price with performance, just how expensive should a focal closed-back model be for you to deign to try it?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #44 of 121
Well, if you read one random comment on the internet, it must be true...
Yep, if you want to talk yourself out of buying something, just find a single bad review. Done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back