Focal Elegia....a mistake?
Apr 18, 2019 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

thyname

500+ Head-Fier
I am about to buy Elegia, as I am in need of some closed back cans. Is there anything better out there at below $1,000 price point?

Will use it with my Ayre QX-5 Twenty for home, and either Dragonfly Red or iFi xDSD with iPhone XR on the go.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 20
I prefer the Audeze LCD-2CB's but that's just me.

Apr 18, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 20
Apr 19, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 20
These things are so incredibly dependant on individual taste it’s insane. People don’t even hear the same stuff when listening to the same headphones...so yeah take whatever comes next with a pinch of salt.

Personally I feel Focal headphones are way too pricey in terms of what you actually get sound quality wise. They look absolutely gorgeous though and I very much understand the appeal. We eat with our eyes first.
But listening to the Elegia next to the Signature Studio had me completely underwhelmed. They’re both slightly bright cans with heaps of detail, but the Ultrasone takes soundstage, imaging, bass and isolation. For me a better can all around.
It does however not have the bling and swag factor of the Elegia.

Apr 19, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 20
These things are so incredibly dependant on individual taste it’s insane. People don’t even hear the same stuff when listening to the same headphones...so yeah take whatever comes next with a pinch of salt.

Personally I feel Focal headphones are way too pricey in terms of what you actually get sound quality wise. They look absolutely gorgeous though and I very much understand the appeal. We eat with our eyes first.
But listening to the Elegia next to the Signature Studio had me completely underwhelmed. They’re both slightly bright cans with heaps of detail, but the Ultrasone takes soundstage, imaging, bass and isolation. For me a better can all around.
It does however not have the bling and swag factor of the Elegia.

These look like Pro Headphones to me. Never heard of

Apr 20, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 20
The Elegias have a pretty weird sound IMO, and should be tried before purchasing. I compared it to the Denon AH-D7200 and liked that one much better.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 20
Mrspeakers Aeon C. Best phones I've ever owned. Topping many others in my humble opinion.
Really?! I was trying to see between the Elegia, Lcd-2 closed, Denon D7200s and Aeons as to which I would buy. Seems like there are way more deals on Elegias, 7200s and Aeons over the LCDs..my budget may decide this soon enough.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 20
Better depends on personal taste and we also hear differently, so you really have to try them. They don't seem better but I could add the K872 to the list if you prefer more bass or the T5p 2nd if you favour soundstage, but this comes at the expense of something else. The Pioneer SE Monitor 5 with the original synthetic leather earpads or the Dekoni sheepskin (didn't like them much with the default velour pads) are probably a more balanced package than the Elegia. All of them are easily driven.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 20
If you're not sure, why not look for a used one on ebay.

Apr 20, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #13 of 20
I would go with the Aeon Closed. It was a really engaging sound for me, very comfortable and easy to drive.

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 20
if you aren't going to be bothered by the tizzy/metallic lower treble they are actually pretty great for a closed back, even tho closed doesn't scale as well as open backs.

i would also look up reviews about the ether CXs they're 900$ on massdrop.

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 20
I owned the Elear. Though they sounded super fast and dynamic, it soon wore on me. Listening fatigue settled in in about 35 minutes every time I put them on. Not to mention their uncomfortable clamping force. The Sony MDRZ1R are super comfy too but a bit to bloated sounding for me. Beyer DT1770 are way too bass heavy but super comfy. Again for me, the Aeon C just seems to work well. It checks off all the boxes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back