Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
May 29, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #6,032 of 6,742
Took a while to decide if i'm going the budget route or not. End up going on a budget just around 250usd or so for amp and DAC. I know it's sort a small budget, but it will do for me just for some alternative amp and dac with what I already have.

The option I was going for is as below:
  1. JDS Labs Atom + Topping D50 combo. I found a used unit for the D50 for cheap, but the problem is mostly the Atom shipping price here to Asia is rather expensive. Let me know if it's worth it tho compared to the other options, might still get this combo.
  2. Topping A30(with op-amp upgrade) with the Topping D50 combo.
  3. Chord Mojo. I found this used unit rather cheap, and heard a lot of good things about it, so somewhat tempted to get this instead of the previous option.
Let me know if there is other nice options for around 250usd or so. Would love to know what you guys think of it for the Elear. I'm just sad shipping for JDS Labs or Schiit is expensive here, if not I'd probably ordered one already now.

May 29, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #6,033 of 6,742
Took a while to decide if i'm going the budget route or not. End up going on a budget just around 250usd or so for amp and DAC. I know it's sort a small budget, but it will do for me just for some alternative amp and dac with what I already have.

The option I was going for is as below:
  1. JDS Labs Atom + Topping D50 combo. I found a used unit for the D50 for cheap, but the problem is mostly the Atom shipping price here to Asia is rather expensive. Let me know if it's worth it tho compared to the other options, might still get this combo.
  2. Topping A30(with op-amp upgrade) with the Topping D50 combo.
  3. Chord Mojo. I found this used unit rather cheap, and heard a lot of good things about it, so somewhat tempted to get this instead of the previous option.
Let me know if there is other nice options for around 250usd or so. Would love to know what you guys think of it for the Elear. I'm just sad shipping for JDS Labs or Schiit is expensive here, if not I'd probably ordered one already now.
Your no. 3 is mobile while the rest is stationary...

if you going mobile, I suggest you try NX4DSD (Reference sounding, nice resolution) or ifi Hip DAC (Burr Burson Sound Sig). Go for balanced, u need aftermarket cable for it...

Stationary, although I owned D30 & A30 (upgrade OpAmp), I suggest ifi Zen DAC... its a nice rig for entry to mid level... don't forget to buy the add on AC adapter, it does give effect to the sound...

edit : your choice above is also good, only had tried Mojo though (Dark Warm IMO), if you like the sound sig, then forget NX4DSD, try Hip Dac instead....

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #6,034 of 6,742
Well, if ‘any‘ means without regard of price… here it goes: It pairs really well with my RME ADI-2 DAC. Could very well be my endgame. But it retails around 1000€/more than 1000 US$.
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks pretty good tbh, but not in my budget price range atm.

Your no. 3 is mobile while the rest is stationary...

if you going mobile, I suggest you try NX4DSD (Reference sounding, nice resolution) or ifi Hip DAC (Burr Burson Sound Sig). Go for balanced, u need aftermarket cable for it...

Stationary, although I owned D30 & A30 (upgrade OpAmp), I suggest ifi Zen DAC... its a nice rig for entry to mid level... don't forget to buy the add on AC adapter, it does give effect to the sound...

edit : your choice above is also good, only had tried Mojo though (Dark Warm IMO), if you like the sound sig, then forget NX4DSD, try Hip Dac instead....
Thanks, this are all good suggestions within my price range. Will do more research on this before deciding.

May 31, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #6,035 of 6,742
Hi all, I've been enjoying my Focal Elears since late 2017 and it seems the driver may have gone out in the right side! The Elear was one of my newer cans so I was surprised when it was the first to have issues... ... :scream:

Any recommendations on things I could try? I've ruled out cable, DAC and amp issues.

May 31, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #6,036 of 6,742
Hi all, I've been enjoying my Focal Elears since late 2017 and it seems the driver may have gone out in the right side! The Elear was one of my newer cans so I was surprised when it was the first to have issues... ... :scream:

Any recommendations on things I could try? I've ruled out cable, DAC and amp issues.

Make a warranty claim and have them repaired/replaced.

May 31, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #6,037 of 6,742
End up going with the Chord Mojo. Compared to my other setup, the Elear actually sound bright, with the Mojo it's just a bit dark for me. Not bad at all tho. I was looking for something different than my current setup, and some portability. Thanks again for those who suggested, I'll be buying some other amps and dacs for my Elear down the road :sweat_smile:

Really happy with my Elear purchase :smile_phones:

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #6,039 of 6,742
End up going with the Chord Mojo. Compared to my other setup, the Elear actually sound bright, with the Mojo it's just a bit dark for me. Not bad at all tho. I was looking for something different than my current setup, and some portability. Thanks again for those who suggested, I'll be buying some other amps and dacs for my Elear down the road :sweat_smile:

Really happy with my Elear purchase :smile_phones:

Best decision out of all your choices IMO

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #6,041 of 6,742
I think so as well. Now to open up the Mojo and disconnecting the battery when using on desktop, and reconnecting it back when on the go. :sweat:

I recall you find the Mojo to be dark with the Elears. How has it been treating you since?

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #6,042 of 6,742
I recall you find the Mojo to be dark with the Elears. How has it been treating you since?
Lesser than I first thought regarding it being dark, but it's not really that much tbh. At least not as much as others are saying with the Mojo. I'm loving the pairing a lot tbh, better than what I expected. Enjoyable.

Kinda looking at Hugo 2 now :eyes: But that's for another time. I also read that someone who has an Elear here sold his Mojo because of the LG V30.. Kinda want to get that as well at some point lol. Really liking my Elear, just thinking of future pairings that I can't afford for now :cry:

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #6,043 of 6,742
Lesser than I first thought regarding it being dark, but it's not really that much tbh. At least not as much as others are saying with the Mojo. I'm loving the pairing a lot tbh, better than what I expected. Enjoyable.

Kinda looking at Hugo 2 now :eyes: But that's for another time. I also read that someone who has an Elear here sold his Mojo because of the LG V30.. Kinda want to get that as well at some point lol. Really liking my Elear, just thinking of future pairings that I can't afford for now :cry:

V30 over the Mojo? That's a first lol.

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #6,044 of 6,742
V30 over the Mojo? That's a first lol.
Yeah I find that weird. But it's rather interesting. Probably just test someone's V30 and see if it's worth it tho. I doubt it would do better than the Mojo pairing wise, but I could be wrong lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back