Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #5,461 of 6,742
Nice impression write up, @gLer. Using the SRH1840 velour pads I find the same in regards to an increased soundstage.

RHA put up an awesome playlist in the CL2 thread for testing headphones, with this track in particular coming highly recommended:

I Got The… (Remastered)
Labi Siffre
A rare example of the perfect song: it starts with the stage by stage introduction of each instrument; bass, strings, percussion, guitar, organ; each playing a riff oozing with craft and funk. Then Siffre’s amazing voice cuts in, and never misses a beat. Add to that the riff from the song’s second part that delivers a powerful nostalgia hit to anyone alive during 1999. Listen again and again; focus on each individual part, and what it contributes to one of the coolest tracks of all time.
Thanks for this, great resource indeed. Discovered a few gems listening to that list, although I really didn’t care for the song above. Hardly the ‘perfect song’ - not my type of music at all. But that’s the great thing about this hobby, isn’t it? :)

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #5,462 of 6,742
It looks very interesting. Judging by their specifications it seems that They are aimed to portable use, seems they have high sensitivity and 35 ohms impedance. Furthermore, the pictures shows a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #5,463 of 6,742
It looks very interesting. Judging by their specifications it seems that They are aimed to portable use, seems they have high sensitivity and 35 ohms impedance. Furthermore, the pictures shows a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter
Yeah but who would want to use the focal headphones in a mobile application? They're quite large and heavy, and very expensive to be wearing on the bus or whatever . Interesting indeed

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #5,464 of 6,742
Yeah but who would want to use the focal headphones in a mobile application? They're quite large and heavy, and very expensive to be wearing on the bus or whatever . Interesting indeed
I agree and yet people do it on their commutes every day with the likes of B&W’s P9 etc. probably more ‘portable’ in that you get to take them to work. Isolation will be the biggest plus, assuming the sound quality is on par with their open brethren.

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #5,465 of 6,742
I agree and yet people do it on their commutes every day with the likes of B&W’s P9 etc. probably more ‘portable’ in that you get to take them to work. Isolation will be the biggest plus, assuming the sound quality is on par with their open brethren.

For me, these would be a very nice work/travel pair of cans, assuming SQ is decent and the FR is closer to the Clear/Utopia rather than Elear (purely my subjective tastes). Pair them with a budget DAP or even just a mobile phone with that sensitivity and impedance, and you're good to go (I would assume).

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #5,467 of 6,742
For me, these would be a very nice work/travel pair of cans, assuming SQ is decent and the FR is closer to the Clear/Utopia rather than Elear (purely my subjective tastes). Pair them with a budget DAP or even just a mobile phone with that sensitivity and impedance, and you're good to go (I would assume).
I agree. I've even tried the Elex directly to the phone and it sounds decent, MUCH better than other headphones aimed to be used with smartphones. I would certainly point that the Elegia would work more than fine, nonetheless it is one thing to sound loud and other to sound its bests; so far the Elear/Elex have shown to scale pretty well with audio gear, so it would be reasonable to assume the same for the Elegia.

Oct 5, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #5,468 of 6,742
Official marketing photos of the Elegia. Hopefully we'll get an announcement today, at which time I'm sure there'll be a dedicated thread or three to discuss these in detail. Exciting times.

elegia1.jpg elegia2.jpg elegia3.jpg elegia4.jpg

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #5,471 of 6,742
Glad to hear about these, I've been eyeing the MDR-Z7M2 maybe wait and see how these hp's go love the Focal sound..

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #5,472 of 6,742
As I said in a previous post, these are aimed to portable use:

“And when connected to portable audio players, these headphones are incredibly high-performing. Zero resonance, excellent soundproofing: the naturalness and realism of the sound is striking from the first few seconds of listening.”

Nov 18, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #5,473 of 6,742
Very interesting impressions, and glad to hear the Elear is still punching at the right level for you (compared to the $1500 Z1R). If you haven’t already you should give the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads a try on your Elear - smooths out the bass and brings out an even greater level of detail and separation. I’ve hardly used another headphone since I switched pads (and added a suspension strap for comfort).

I now have the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads on my Elears and I’m enjoying the more open, clearer sound. The soundstage is less shut-in and the upper-bass bump has decreased. They look great, too. As near as dam it, do I now possess an Elex? If no, what’s the difference? We don’t have mass-drop in the UK so I can’t do comparisons. Cheers.

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #5,474 of 6,742
I now have the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads on my Elears and I’m enjoying the more open, clearer sound. The soundstage is less shut-in and the upper-bass bump has decreased. They look great, too. As near as dam it, do I now possess an Elex? If no, what’s the difference? We don’t have mass-drop in the UK so I can’t do comparisons. Cheers.
Elear+Dekoni sheepskin+ elex cable = 90% elex

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #5,475 of 6,742
The Dekoni pads are great, super stylish. The first thing any Elear owner should do is remove the stock pads and replace them with Dekoni or Elex pads. Speaking of which, no, the Dekoni fen sheepskin don’t turn the Elear into an Elex. They definitely ‘fix’ the stock Elear sound, are more comfy and better looking, but they’re also a bit more bassy, a touch less refined in the mids, than the smoother, more cohesive Elex sound. You should be able to order Elex pads if and when Massdrop have another drop - I’m definitely ordering a second pair when they drop because these material pads don’t last forever. They make a great flavour and comfort change from the Dekoni pads too, so depending on your mood or track you can change to either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back