Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #4,996 of 6,742
Ok call me dumb (well please don't) but I downloaded the True-Fi free trial, choose the Elear while inputted in the amp, inputted my age and the graph changed to show it was enabled. The thing is, there's absolutely no difference in sound whatsoever. I also programmed my TH-X00 and HE-560, toggled (yes, HP inputted in amp) to those HP's with the Elear still inputted in the amp and again, no difference in sound.
Also, all 3 HP's show the exact same measurements when I choose each one when enabled.
I thought maybe if I hit "activate" it would activate my free trial but It wanted to charge me the full retail.
This seems like a pretty straight forward app but what am I missing? Is there a step I"m overlooking?
You’re dumb.

Nah jk.
When you’ve installed true-fi, it should appear as a «virtual soundcard» on «output devices» on windows, have you made sure that’s where it’s outputting to? If you’re using Tidal, you may have to go into Tidal’s settings and choose true-fi as the output device.
Then in the true-fi app, you choose your dac as the output device. If you choose your dac as the output device in windows (or tidal), it’s just sending the signal straight to the dac and bypassing true-fi.

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #4,997 of 6,742
You’re dumb.

Nah jk.
When you’ve installed true-fi, it should appear as a «virtual soundcard» on «output devices» on windows, have you made sure that’s where it’s outputting to? If you’re using Tidal, you may have to go into Tidal’s settings and choose true-fi as the output device.
Then in the true-fi app, you choose your dac as the output device. If you choose your dac as the output device in windows (or tidal), it’s just sending the signal straight to the dac and bypassing true-fi.
I use Spotify. It’s set to Tru-Fi virtual audio device for speakers in windows. I went into its settings and nothing shows up True-Fi.
In the True-Fi player, under device settings, under output device It defaults to Speakers 2-Schiit usb audio and even selecting the True-fi setting, still nothing.

Edit:
Went into Tidal and it definitely kicked in. But it was just beyond listenable. The highs were out of control so I cranked it down 20 years younger then my age but the sound was not good. Seemed like it was kicked up 25k where it may have just burned a hole in my eardrum from the excessive treble before turning down the age slider. I don't mind treble as I had the TH900 and have the HE560. But this was 50 x's more treble. Something is a miss. I also tried the TH-X00 and HE560 with the True-Fi settings and no go. Just poor. I wanted to really hear what the Elear could do with this program but it looks like it's not in the cards.
It does not even work in Spotify.
Thanx for your input though @makne

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #4,998 of 6,742
Well to answer your previous post first, I don’t think inferior gear and/or file resolution really hides the elear’s tonality shortcomings any more than high-end gear does. Seems to me like you just got used to the sound over time, as did I.

With that said, Using sonarworks (they are the creator of both true-fi and reference 4, which I use. Just two different programs doing the same thing, one with more features and more expensive) really made a big difference, even though I was used to the stock tonality and already loved it.
The improvement it brought is insane for it’s price imo. If you use a pc/mac as music source, there is no reason not to try a free trial.
It’s a different, but also (imo) way bigger improvement than you can expect from an amp. And I’ve tried the Elear on all from an iPhone to the Hugo and Ragnarok.

I played with the online tester and it was great, but it's laptop only and I'm being a cheap b and not wanting to spend the cash right now. I do agree that it could help when listening on the laptop but I also use mobiles. So far Moon Audio Dragon cables and a DFB seems to correct some Elear issues, even on the laptop. Obviously that's way more than the software but I wanted something I could use in more than one situation.

Still waiting on those TSAV cables.:wink:

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #4,999 of 6,742
I use Spotify. It’s set to Tru-Fi virtual audio device for speakers in windows. I went into its settings and nothing shows up True-Fi.
In the True-Fi player, under device settings, under output device It defaults to Speakers 2-Schiit usb audio and even selecting the True-fi setting, still nothing.

Edit:
Went into Tidal and it definitely kicked in. But it was just beyond listenable. The highs were out of control so I cranked it down 20 years younger then my age but the sound was not good. Seemed like it was kicked up 25k where it may have just burned a hole in my eardrum from the excessive treble before turning down the age slider. I don't mind treble as I had the TH900 and have the HE560. But this was 50 x's more treble. Something is a miss. I also tried the TH-X00 and HE560 with the True-Fi settings and no go. Just poor. I wanted to really hear what the Elear could do with this program but it looks like it's not in the cards.
It does not even work in Spotify.
Thanx for your input though @makne
Hmm, weird. Should work on Spotify too, does for me :frowning2:
If the treble was that unbearable, definitely sounds like something’s wrong somewhere... it should be set to neutral by default, which may be more treble-y than some prefer but definitely shouldn’t be ear piercing or anything...
well, too bad it didn’t work out for you!

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #5,000 of 6,742
I played with the online tester and it was great, but it's laptop only and I'm being a cheap b and not wanting to spend the cash right now. I do agree that it could help when listening on the laptop but I also use mobiles. So far Moon Audio Dragon cables and a DFB seems to correct some Elear issues, even on the laptop. Obviously that's way more than the software but I wanted something I could use in more than one situation.

Still waiting on those TSAV cables.:wink:
Online sample isn’t really a fair test. You can download the program and use it for free for a week, 14 days or something.
Cable changes can’t be compared to the difference of dsp. Sonarworks will give like a 100000x bigger difference.
Tbh I’m not the biggest cable believer (I do spend some money on nicer, decent cables and have tried very expensive ones though). I do see why one would want to change the stock elear cable (did so myself) but would probably not cash out on a dragon cable while using a 100$ dac/amp and hesitating to try a sub-100$ software... just my opinion of course.
It’ll depend on how much time you spend on laptop and how much you spend on mobile ofc. Although I think a sonarworks mobile app is in testing right now.

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #5,001 of 6,742
Online sample isn’t really a fair test. You can download the program and use it for free for a week, 14 days or something.
Cable changes can’t be compared to the difference of dsp. Sonarworks will give like a 100000x bigger difference.
Tbh I’m not the biggest cable believer (I do spend some money on nicer, decent cables and have tried very expensive ones though). I do see why one would want to change the stock elear cable (did so myself) but would probably not cash out on a dragon cable while using a 100$ dac/amp and hesitating to try a sub-100$ software... just my opinion of course.
It’ll depend on how much time you spend on laptop and how much you spend on mobile ofc. Although I think a sonarworks mobile app is in testing right now.

I know it sounds unreasonable to spend on one but not the other, but it's because the cable and amp are portable on both mobile and laptop. I've been avoiding desktop amps for the same reason. Portability and small footprint matter a lot to me, I guess.

If Sonarworks has a mobile app, I'm interested. Laptop only, I do hesitate. Many apps I use are available on multiple platforms. But also, I do wish I hadn't missed that BF sale. I get what you're saying, I'm just not feeling the $80 right now. Sounds weird but that's how I feel.

Mar 8, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #5,002 of 6,742
I know it sounds unreasonable to spend on one but not the other, but it's because the cable and amp are portable on both mobile and laptop. I've been avoiding desktop amps for the same reason. Portability and small footprint matter a lot to me, I guess.

If Sonarworks has a mobile app, I'm interested. Laptop only, I do hesitate. Many apps I use are available on multiple platforms. But also, I do wish I hadn't missed that BF sale. I get what you're saying, I'm just not feeling the $80 right now. Sounds weird but that's how I feel.
sure, you have to go with the option that fots your situation! Just wanted you to be aware that in terms of effect, the two can’t be compared :wink:
If I were you though, I’d check on how the sonarworks mobile app is coming along!

EDIT: According to a Digital Trends article from January 2018, Sonarworks is expecting to launch IOS and Android support for the True-fi app (not sure about reference 4) this spring!

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #5,005 of 6,742
I'll admit; I'd been getting pretty tired of all the talk around this thread of the Sonarworks software of late... Then I downloaded it, upped the bass by +7db and stuck some EDM on.

So long $80!
heheh, happy you like it!
The subbass that the Elear is suddenly capable of, is pretty surprising and impressive.

Mar 9, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #5,006 of 6,742
@makne You owe me $80.

a_tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #5,007 of 6,742
Sent sonarworks an email on how things are going with the mobile apps:

«Hi Magnus,

Thanks a lot for your interest!
We are currently working on apps for android and iOS. I can't give you any release details right now, hopefully this year. I'll let you know once iOS app is available for beta tests!

And thank you so much for spreading the word!

Best regards,
Indrikis
Sonarworks»

So not as specific as I would’ve wanted, but good news nonetheless!
I know I’ve been going on and on about their programs lately, and I’m sorry if people are getting tired of it :p
I just think that the improvement it brings to the Elear is so great, probably because most issues people have with the Elear is related to their tuning?

And I’m sorry for your wallet, @waveSounds ! :p

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #5,008 of 6,742
Sent sonarworks an email on how things are going with the mobile apps:

«Hi Magnus,

Thanks a lot for your interest!
We are currently working on apps for android and iOS. I can't give you any release details right now, hopefully this year. I'll let you know once iOS app is available for beta tests!

And thank you so much for spreading the word!

Best regards,
Indrikis
Sonarworks»

So not as specific as I would’ve wanted, but good news nonetheless!
I know I’ve been going on and on about their programs lately, and I’m sorry if people are getting tired of it :p
I just think that the improvement it brings to the Elear is so great, probably because most issues people have with the Elear is related to their tuning?

And I’m sorry for your wallet, @waveSounds ! :p
I've been using Ref 3 for the past year and a half for the HD800. The True-Fi release will finally push me into getting a smartphone for the B&W P7 wireless. Still using an old Nokia just for calls. (which I rarely use)

Bern

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #5,009 of 6,742
Add me to the list of Sonarworks True-Fi "believers"... Set it to Focal Elear -> Turn off "Adjust for Age" -> Adjust Bass to 1.5 dB - 2.0 dB.

However, it does get a little harsh for certain music like Rock. Everything else so far has been wonderful.

Interested in someone comparing this to the Focal Clear. :L3000:

Mar 10, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #5,010 of 6,742
Add me to the list of Sonarworks True-Fi "believers"... Set it to Focal Elear -> Turn off "Adjust for Age" -> Adjust Bass to 1.5 dB - 2.0 dB.

However, it does get a little harsh for certain music like Rock. Everything else so far has been wonderful.

Interested in someone comparing this to the Focal Clear. :L3000:
One of the main reasons why I opted for reference 4 over true-fi, is because you have a feature to tone down the treble a little. I too think the treble can be a little too much with a completely flat setting. You could use a separate eq to tone down the treble a little :)

I too would love to see a comparison against Clear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back