Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #4,981 of 6,742
I don't understand why people hate the Elear's I find them very enjoyable and not lacking in bass at all..enjoy

Ditto! I believe there is a vocal tiny minority that has been complaining about them.

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #4,983 of 6,742
I try to explain my doubts about the Elear. First of all, I'm not driving them properly, I'm just using an Onkyo for a 5.1 system, that's all, I will upgrade my chain in the future. Anyway, I don't like that with the Elear you hear everything at the same level, it's a mess, you barely understand what the singer is saying, because there is something else above the voice, like a drum or an other instrument. And I understand what people mean when they say the Elear lack bass, I mean, I love the low frequencies on these cans, but I don't hear a good impact of the drums for example, in this case I don't know if the impact is in the bass range, or in the mid range. I'm not English, so I hope you can understand. Can Sonarworks help in my case?

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #4,984 of 6,742
I just dont hear what you’re hearing. I’m a self admitted bass head and the bass is very good. These don’t thump like a bass head can will but there is plenty of bass with the Elear. I also dont hear the same level of bass, mids and treble either. It almost sounds like your source.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #4,985 of 6,742
I just dont hear what you’re hearing. I’m a self admitted bass head and the bass is very good. These don’t thump like a bass head can will but there is plenty of bass with the Elear. I also dont hear the same level of bass, mids and treble either. It almost sounds like your source.
Well, of course we all have different ears and brains, so the sound is always subjective. Anyway, about the source, I tried many sources, PC, phone, iBasso DX200 with different apps, but the Elear always sound like a mess, too much stuff without a proper separation. I own the Sennheiser GAME ZERO, they are not for audiophiles of course, but with those cans I can hear everything very well, there is a good separation between the instruments and the voices, I'm not saying that the Sennehiser GAME ZERO are better than Elear, I'm just saying that I wish more separation on the Elear, especially about the voices, I need to focus a lot to hear them.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #4,986 of 6,742
Well, of course we all have different ears and brains, so the sound is always subjective. Anyway, about the source, I tried many sources, PC, phone, iBasso DX200 with different apps, but the Elear always sound like a mess, too much stuff without a proper separation. I own the Sennheiser GAME ZERO, they are not for audiophiles of course, but with those cans I can hear everything very well, there is a good separation between the instruments and the voices, I'm not saying that the Sennehiser GAME ZERO are better than Elear, I'm just saying that I wish more separation on the Elear, especially about the voices, I need to focus a lot to hear them.

A lot of vocals fall into the upper-mid suckout on these cans. That might be what you're hearing. It's one of the main reasons I moved on from them.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #4,987 of 6,742
I try to explain my doubts about the Elear. First of all, I'm not driving them properly, I'm just using an Onkyo for a 5.1 system, that's all, I will upgrade my chain in the future. Anyway, I don't like that with the Elear you hear everything at the same level, it's a mess, you barely understand what the singer is saying, because there is something else above the voice, like a drum or an other instrument. And I understand what people mean when they say the Elear lack bass, I mean, I love the low frequencies on these cans, but I don't hear a good impact of the drums for example, in this case I don't know if the impact is in the bass range, or in the mid range. I'm not English, so I hope you can understand. Can Sonarworks help in my case?
What you’re saying about the vocals not cutting through the mix, I’m 99-100% sure that’s the 4k dip. That’s the «presence», upper-tone of voices, the part that cuts through the mix and makes it easy to pin-point where they’re coming from. Elear has a pretty huge dip there in stock form.
This may be even more elevated because of the system you’re driving them with. Wen I drove my elear off my Marantz 2-channel amp, it was very warm and almost muddy compared to the Hugo. I suspect it’s because of a high output impedance on the amp, which is common on speaker amps’ headphone outputs.

And the Elear does NOT lack bass, at least from an objective and neutral standpoint. It’s bass response is elevated. Being a dynamic driver it does roll off higher than a lot of planars, but is definitely extended/deep enough to cover drums.
The Elear doesn’t lack dynamic impact either, in fact that’s the one area where nothing can beat the Focal lineup.
My guess is that what you are missing from the drums is their overtone, the «snap» part rather than the «boom». Or you’re just used to a pretty bass-heavy signature :p

I think sonarworks will be a huge difference. Free trial so not really any risk anyway.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #4,988 of 6,742

Give True-Fi a try- it definitely makes the Elear sound better, though I thought they sounded pretty good to start with. Vocals will stand out more, that's for sure.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #4,989 of 6,742
What you’re saying about the vocals not cutting through the mix, I’m 99-100% sure that’s the 4k dip. That’s the «presence», upper-tone of voices, the part that cuts through the mix and makes it easy to pin-point where they’re coming from. Elear has a pretty huge dip there in stock form.
This may be even more elevated because of the system you’re driving them with. Wen I drove my elear off my Marantz 2-channel amp, it was very warm and almost muddy compared to the Hugo. I suspect it’s because of a high output impedance on the amp, which is common on speaker amps’ headphone outputs.

And the Elear does NOT lack bass, at least from an objective and neutral standpoint. It’s bass response is elevated. Being a dynamic driver it does roll off higher than a lot of planars, but is definitely extended/deep enough to cover drums.
The Elear doesn’t lack dynamic impact either, in fact that’s the one area where nothing can beat the Focal lineup.
My guess is that what you are missing from the drums is their overtone, the «snap» part rather than the «boom». Or you’re just used to a pretty bass-heavy signature :p

I think sonarworks will be a huge difference. Free trial so not really any risk anyway.
I think you got it. The impedance is very high, 6 Ohms on my amp.
And maybe yes, I actually hear the boom and I love it, but I think I miss something in the bass, maybe it's that "snap", it's very difficult to explain in a forum :frowning2:
I will try the softwares you suggested :wink:

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #4,990 of 6,742
Ditto! I believe there is a vocal tiny minority that has been complaining about them.

At the risk of sounding like the dreaded "fangirl", I don't understand why people just drop by to bash or keep saying they no longer own Elear because they suck. If they suck so bad to you, why even keep visiting this thread? I unsubscribe when I lose interest in a set, not return to bash over and over. One sentence saying "I no longer own because they weren't for me" is fine but good grief

People looking for how to maximize them or seeking help with sound they're trying to improve, I don't have a problem with. If Elear ends up not working for you, so be it. That's how the headphone world is. I just get amazed at how some people just come back to bash like the Elear totally ruined their life or something.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #4,991 of 6,742

My sources are terrible by audiophile standards(laptop, mobile, YouTube, streaming services) and these are still my best set. Maybe the issues do show up with excellent equipment but Elear are very forgiving with less than ideal audio apparently. I'll admit that when I first got them, I wasn't used to the sound which probably was the mid suck out. But either they burned in, or my brain burned them in, or both; because I will not be selling these ever. Maybe if the Clear blows them out of the water after I get those. But not before.

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #4,992 of 6,742
My sources are terrible by audiophile standards(laptop, mobile, YouTube, streaming services) and these are still my best set. Maybe the issues do show up with excellent equipment but Elear are very forgiving with less than ideal audio apparently. I'll admit that when I first got them, I wasn't used to the sound which probably was the mid suck out. But either they burned in, or my brain burned them in, or both; because I will not be selling these ever. Maybe if the Clear blows them out of the water after I get those. But not before.

Have you tried the True-Fi app yet? They have a free trial. While the app makes my HE400i and P7W sound somewhat better, it takes the Elear to a whole other level, IMO.

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #4,993 of 6,742
Have you tried the True-Fi app yet? They have a free trial. While the app makes my HE400i and P7W sound somewhat better, it takes the Elear to a whole other level, IMO.

Sonarworks and Tru-fi are the same developer, aren't they? For the one that's $80, there was Black Friday sale and I missed the email. Still kicking myself over that. At $80 though, I hesitated. I just ended up buying a portable amp. Software has to really be worth it to me to spend over certain amounts. Mental block I guess. I know they both work, I'm just thinking that $80 would be better spent on something tangible. JMO. If there's value to others, that's fine. I'm just going to be more inclined to buy at a discount.

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #4,994 of 6,742
Sonarworks and Tru-fi are the same developer, aren't they? For the one that's $80, there was Black Friday sale and I missed the email. Still kicking myself over that. At $80 though, I hesitated. I just ended up buying a portable amp. Software has to really be worth it to me to spend over certain amounts. Mental block I guess. I know they both work, I'm just thinking that $80 would be better spent on something tangible. JMO. If there's value to others, that's fine. I'm just going to be more inclined to buy at a discount.
Well to answer your previous post first, I don’t think inferior gear and/or file resolution really hides the elear’s tonality shortcomings any more than high-end gear does. Seems to me like you just got used to the sound over time, as did I.

With that said, Using sonarworks (they are the creator of both true-fi and reference 4, which I use. Just two different programs doing the same thing, one with more features and more expensive) really made a big difference, even though I was used to the stock tonality and already loved it.
The improvement it brought is insane for it’s price imo. If you use a pc/mac as music source, there is no reason not to try a free trial.
It’s a different, but also (imo) way bigger improvement than you can expect from an amp. And I’ve tried the Elear on all from an iPhone to the Hugo and Ragnarok.

Mar 6, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #4,995 of 6,742
Well to answer your previous post first, I don’t think inferior gear and/or file resolution really hides the elear’s tonality shortcomings any more than high-end gear does. Seems to me like you just got used to the sound over time, as did I.

With that said, Using sonarworks (they are the creator of both true-fi and reference 4, which I use. Just two different programs doing the same thing, one with more features and more expensive) really made a big difference, even though I was used to the stock tonality and already loved it.
The improvement it brought is insane for it’s price imo. If you use a pc/mac as music source, there is no reason not to try a free trial.
It’s a different, but also (imo) way bigger improvement than you can expect from an amp. And I’ve tried the Elear on all from an iPhone to the Hugo and Ragnarok.
Ok call me dumb (well please don't) but I downloaded the True-Fi free trial, choose the Elear while inputted in the amp, inputted my age and the graph changed to show it was enabled. The thing is, there's absolutely no difference in sound whatsoever. I also programmed my TH-X00 and HE-560, toggled (yes, HP inputted in amp) to those HP's with the Elear still inputted in the amp and again, no difference in sound.
Also, all 3 HP's show the exact same measurements when I choose each one when enabled.
I thought maybe if I hit "activate" it would activate my free trial but It wanted to charge me the full retail.
This seems like a pretty straight forward app but what am I missing? Is there a step I"m overlooking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back