Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #1,097 of 6,742
I still haven't heard the Elear. I just wish I could only drive to a store and demo them. One thing that is making me hesitant about placing an order is the Elear's mids. Some how, I am getting the impression that this is the weakest point. It looks like the mids are just OK. Is this correct? or should i not worry about this?

I don't like thin and distant mids. If the mids sound more or less like the HD600, I'll be ok. Are the mids thicker or thinner thannnthe hd600 mids?

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #1,098 of 6,742
I still haven't heard the Elear. I just wish I could only drive to a store and demo them. One thing that is making me hesitant about placing an order is the Elear's mids. Some how, I am getting the impression that this is the weakest point. It looks like the mids are just OK. Is this correct? or should i not worry about this?

I don't like thin and distant mids. If the mids sound more or less like the HD600, I'll be ok. Are the mids thicker or thinner thannnthe hd600 mids?

I don't know about the HD600 but I did try them back to back vs the Hd800S. From what I remember the mids were thicker than the 800s but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't describe the mids on the Elear as just OK. In fact I'd say they are very good. On the odd song they can sound a little veiled, usually an old rock tune but they sound brilliant on 98/99% of my other playlists. I do find myself flicking through my playlists and enjoying hearing stuff again I haven't played for ages. To me that's the measure of a great headphone

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #1,099 of 6,742
I am a proud new owner of a set of Elears! I'll get them Wednesday through email confirmation. I was asked to spread the word that they are in stock and to contact Mark of Music To My Ears in Philly. They also have the Utopia for those that so desire. I can't wait. Now to find and amp/dac to compliment them. I realize that the sky Is the limit when looking for a good dac/amp. This will be used at home with the computer for hi res music. Do I really NEED (subjective) to spend over 1000 on an OPPO? Or is Questyle "better" for the money? Or maybe even a somewhat lower cost Fostex dac/amp? Z reviews has reviewed many and I did not short myself with headphones this time so any input on a dac/amp for home use complimenting these Elears would be appreciated.

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,100 of 6,742
I don't know about the HD600 but I did try them back to back vs the Hd800S. From what I remember the mids were thicker than the 800s but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't describe the mids on the Elear as just OK. In fact I'd say they are very good. On the odd song they can sound a little veiled, usually an old rock tune but they sound brilliant on 98/99% of my other playlists. I do find myself flicking through my playlists and enjoying hearing stuff again I haven't played for ages. To me that's the measure of a great headphone

This is good to know. Thanks!

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #1,101 of 6,742
Anyone here familiar with both the Elear and the Kennerton Vali? Just hoping to see a comparison between the two. Both priced about the same, with both going for a similar sonic style (from what I've been able to discern): Full-bodied, on the warm-ish smoother side, yet punchy/dynamic. Can anyone say?

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #1,102 of 6,742
Anyone here familiar with both the Elear and the Kennerton Vali? Just hoping to see a comparison between the two. Both priced about the same, with both going for a similar sonic style (from what I've been able to discern): Full-bodied, on the warm-ish smoother side, yet punchy/dynamic. Can anyone say?
@Grizzlybeast posted a through comparison of the two. Think it's in the Vali thread.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #1,103 of 6,742
I am a proud new owner of a set of Elears! I'll get them Wednesday through email confirmation. I was asked to spread the word that they are in stock and to contact Mark of Music To My Ears in Philly. They also have the Utopia for those that so desire. I can't wait. Now to find and amp/dac to compliment them. I realize that the sky Is the limit when looking for a good dac/amp. This will be used at home with the computer for hi res music. Do I really NEED (subjective) to spend over 1000 on an OPPO? Or is Questyle "better" for the money? Or maybe even a somewhat lower cost Fostex dac/amp? Z reviews has reviewed many and I did not short myself with headphones this time so any input on a dac/amp for home use complimenting these Elears would be appreciated.

Music to my ear in Pittsburgh but close enough ha

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #1,104 of 6,742
I listened to the Questyle CMA 600i on a bunch of cans and it was pretty dope. Was able to drive all cans with to my ears full affect. Something cheaper then that hmmmmm. I wonder how tube amps would do?! Sorry got to thinking about it and my brain jumped to tubes...

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #1,105 of 6,742
Hahahaha I got corrected on the store name a couple times. It's Music to My Ear. Great team, great selection. Check out the Chord & Questyle choices at Music to My Ear!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 25, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #1,106 of 6,742
I have a set on order that I am going to run through my Oppo HA-1. Having Impact Audio cables making me a balanced XLR 4 pin cable set. Has anyone heard the Elears through a HA-1 yet?? I love mine, one of the best dac/ amp combos for the money. It gives you a ton of options.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,107 of 6,742
I have a set on order that I am going to run through my Oppo HA-1. Having Impact Audio cables making me a balanced XLR 4 pin cable set. Has anyone heard the Elears through a HA-1 yet?? I love mine, one of the best dac/ amp combos for the money. It gives you a ton of options.

My Elears get here tomorrow.  I'll be testing them on my Oppo HA-1 (single ended), as well as Schiit Jotunheim (ditto).   I hope to post impressions by the end of the week (along with notes from the other 10+ cans we're evaluating this week)

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #1,108 of 6,742
My Elears are arriving tomorrow, thanks to Jason & Wayne @ TSAV!
I'll be running them through my Schiit stack Bimby/Lyr. Thinking about getting a SS amp as an alternative but if I do I want it to have both SE & Balanced hp outputs, looks like CMA600 should be considered.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #1,109 of 6,742
  My Elears are arriving tomorrow, thanks to Jason & Wayne @ TSAV!
I'll be running them through my Schiit stack Bimby/Lyr. Thinking about getting a SS amp as an alternative but if I do I want it to have both SE & Balanced hp outputs, looks like CMA600 should be considered.

Schiit Jotunheim as well, it pairs nicely with the Bimby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back