Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #752 of 6,742
Listening to elear right now. I enjoy them a lot more than my first try with them--on immediate release. They sound great with the chord mojo, even sound great with with my HTC m10
My first few days with these and I was a little weirded out by them. Now, it's been approximately a month or better and I am really thrilled with them. My other cans are fine, but....well.....you know.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #753 of 6,742
Hello everyone, I come from Hong Kong and I am new to Head-Fi org. 

I have been a fan of FOCAL for years. All my speakers and IEM are products of FOCAL. I have just received my pre-ordered Elear from distributor weeks ago. I am paring it with my LG G5's B&O Hifi plus module, it was nice, but I believe it can be better.

Currently I am seeking a dac with amp to feed my elear. My digital source would be from PC/ notebook or my LG G5. Portable or not is not my main concern as I mainly use it in-door (And I have that B&O module for portable use already). Budget is around $500-600 something. I have read many discussions here and sorted out 2 potential candidates, the chord mojo and schiit jotunheim. Unfortunately there is no jotunheim demo available now in HK, I am not able to give it a try. Would somebody give me some advise or comparison between these two? Other DAC/AMP/Combo suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks you!

Kenneth

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #754 of 6,742

I have been a fan of FOCAL for years. All my speakers and IEM are products of FOCAL. I have just received my pre-ordered Elear from distributor weeks ago. I am paring it with my LG G5's B&O Hifi plus module, it was nice, but I believe it can be better.

Currently I am seeking a dac with amp to feed my elear. My digital source would be from PC/ notebook or my LG G5. Portable or not is not my main concern as I mainly use it in-door (And I have that B&O module for portable use already). Budget is around $500-600 something. I have read many discussions here and sorted out 2 potential candidates, the chord mojo and schiit jotunheim. Unfortunately there is no jotunheim demo available now in HK, I am not able to give it a try. Would somebody give me some advise or comparison between these two? Other DAC/AMP/Combo suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks you!

Kenneth

My folks live in Hong Kong. A fun place. For now I am slightly enjoying the elears more from HTC m10--focuses on audio--more than I am from my chord mojo. The mojo adds a little too much mid warm. The highs are good but the mids seem a little too thick and warm. So I am also trying to figure out what to do for a sub 1k desktop or portable!

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #755 of 6,742
Also does anyone have any impression on the how much the Elears scale with better gear? i have only heard it with my mid fi desktop set up

I honestly don't think they benefit a whole lot from higher end gear, especially amps.  I've listened to them on a lot of different amps/sources and they sound great on most everything. Being so easy to drive/sounding good on different gear is one of the Elears best qualities IMHO.

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #756 of 6,742

Kenneth

Chord MOJO, i use it daily with my Genelec studio monitors and SUB.
And in office, i use with HD650, and other earbuds.

I am gonna Elear next month, once it launches in India and will listen with mojo.

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #757 of 6,742

Kenneth
Ni Hao Ken! The Chord Mojo is a great pairing with the Elear.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 30, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #760 of 6,742
I honestly don't think they benefit a whole lot from higher end gear, especially amps.  I've listened to them on a lot of different amps/sources and they sound great on most everything. Being so easy to drive/sounding good on different gear is one of the Elears best qualities IMHO.

I think you may be right. The headphones may run great with almost anything but don't have room to scale, maybe just subtle lateral changes is all

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #764 of 6,742
I heard they aren't great on QP1R?

Funny how headphones go. If a headphone is warm then people try to compliment with something more forward, if a headphone is sterile then people try to add warmth, etc. I find that the elear are warm and so more resolution and less warmth is ideal. I like the excitement of new sound so I always explore and get interested in mods, then novelty becomes captivating; regardless, I think many amps and dacs work well with the headphones

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #765 of 6,742
Two hour impressions: I've never fallen in love... with a pair of headphones.  But I think these could be the ones.
Coming from a pair of Fidelio X2's I'm absolutely mesmerised by the outstanding separation and delivery of these Elear's.

The sound signature is exactly what want from a headphone.  Every song reveals something new and exciting.

It's such a deep, detailed involving sound I could wear them for hours, days, years?
I was pretty happy with the Fidelio's but I can never go back, seriously impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back