Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
May 27, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #6,617 of 6,742
The Elex tends to have less bass than the Elear but overall more pleasing sound.

"Elex - tighter, controlled, clearer.
Elear - boosted bass, looser, uneven."

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #6,619 of 6,742
Hi guys and girls, I've been enjoying these Elear earphones for a short while, and need/want a closed-back earphone that sound as close as possible to these, what should I be looking at? A Focal closed-back, or another brand with similarities? For the record, I previously owned the Shure SRH1540, too warm for me, Denon AH D7200, not bad, but would like better instrument separation and a touch more treble. I do like the Focal dynamic sound, budget is around $1k.

May 28, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #6,620 of 6,742
Hi guys and girls, I've been enjoying these Elear earphones for a short while, and need/want a closed-back earphone that sound as close as possible to these, what should I be looking at? A Focal closed-back, or another brand with similarities? For the record, I previously owned the Shure SRH1540, too warm for me, Denon AH D7200, not bad, but would like better instrument separation and a touch more treble. I do like the Focal dynamic sound, budget is around $1k.
Focal Celestee.

Jun 18, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #6,621 of 6,742
Was enjoying these headphones, but the right driver has stopped working. Local Focal dealers haven't responded to my request for a solution (South Korea) yet, has anybody else had any success in sourcing a new driver for these in another country? As they are getting older now, does Focal support it still?

Jun 18, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #6,622 of 6,742
Jun 19, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #6,623 of 6,742
Was enjoying these headphones, but the right driver has stopped working. Local Focal dealers haven't responded to my request for a solution (South Korea) yet, has anybody else had any success in sourcing a new driver for these in another country? As they are getting older now, does Focal support it still?
If it's still under warranty, contact Focal USA
If not a drivers set cost around $500

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #6,625 of 6,742
Out of warranty, so looks like a quest for new headphones for home use.
I believe so as $500 is way over priced, try to re-solder the driver's wires anyways.

Jul 22, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #6,627 of 6,742
Aug 17, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #6,629 of 6,742
New Elear owner, Initial impressions are good. I have to agree with the consensus. Impact, Punch, Dynamics, and Clarity are quite good. I do not hear a recessed mid range though...........I think the cans sound pretty great across the whole spectrum. I have them pared with my Finale F-138 FFX EL84 tube amp (6 WPC) it seems like a good match. Im off to hear some more. Happy to be on the Focal band wagon !!!!!!!!

Aug 17, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #6,630 of 6,742
New Elear owner, Initial impressions are good. I have to agree with the consensus. Impact, Punch, Dynamics, and Clarity are quite good. I do not hear a recessed mid range though...........I think the cans sound pretty great across the whole spectrum. I have them pared with my Finale F-138 FFX EL84 tube amp (6 WPC) it seems like a good match. Im off to hear some more. Happy to be on the Focal band wagon !!!!!!!!
I never understood comments about the Elear having a recessed midrange- that has not been my experience at all, even across solid state vs. tube amps, four or five total…

Having heard Elear, Radiance, and Stellia, the Focal “house sound” (albeit a bit different with the Radiance, intentionally tuned differently) seems to be an articulate, detailed midrange- even slightly spotlit with Elear and Stellia- not overly so, however.

But Elear having a notably recessed midrange? I would suggest a different amp/source for comparison to confirm it isn’t caused by those. 😊

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back