Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
May 25, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #6,601 of 6,742
I like that description 'QC lottery' haha, if I remember correctly, the early Utopia is also having the same problem of driver desoldering.
But I've seen posts saying that it can be solved by simply welding the wires back, and the same problem won't happen again
I used to have both elear and clear, (luckily it survived till I sold it, I hope the buyer is same lucky) what I can say is that their sounds are not quite the same. If have to choose a description for them between 'flavour' and clarity, I'll say Elear belongs to former one and Clear the latter one, what impressed me was Elear's mids, warm and energetic, although it doesn't provide many details, the warmth and smoothness will soon let you forget those shortcomings. Clear, in contrary, is neutral, and crystal clear, as its name suggests, and provides way more details than elear.
If you buy a pre-owned elear now, I think the thing you should really worry about is the pads, it turns like this after couple months of wearing... bruuh
I’ve had the same pair of Clear pads on my Elear for a year and a half now and they still look pretty much brand new. I’m not sure why some people go through them so quick.

May 25, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #6,602 of 6,742
I like that description 'QC lottery' haha, if I remember correctly, the early Utopia is also having the same problem of driver desoldering.

I’ve had the same pair of Clear pads on my Elear for a year and a half now and they still look pretty much brand new. I’m not sure why some people go through them so quick.
maybe it's QC lottery for pads haha
I'm not sure why, but for me, I think it is because the fluffy and thick pads do really keeps a lot of heat insides (especially in summer), that makes me sweat a lot, and the sweat accelerated the aging of pads

May 25, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #6,603 of 6,742
i only use mine inside where there is AC and it’s cool.

May 26, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #6,604 of 6,742
But I've seen posts saying that it can be solved by simply welding the wires back, and the same problem won't happen again
I used to have both elear and clear, (luckily it survived till I sold it, I hope the buyer is same lucky) what I can say is that their sounds are not quite the same. If have to choose a description for them between 'flavour' and clarity, I'll say Elear belongs to former one and Clear the latter one, what impressed me was Elear's mids, warm and energetic, although it doesn't provide many details, the warmth and smoothness will soon let you forget those shortcomings. Clear, in contrary, is neutral, and crystal clear, as its name suggests, and provides way more details than elear.
If you buy a pre-owned elear now, I think the thing you should really worry about is the pads, it turns like this after couple months of wearing... bruuhimage_editor_1653523586483.jpg
Based on a personal experience, Focal stands firm behind their products and whatever QC problems they had with the first release of Elear and Utopia has been sorted out.

May 26, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #6,605 of 6,742
maybe it's QC lottery for pads haha
I'm not sure why, but for me, I think it is because the fluffy and thick pads do really keeps a lot of heat insides (especially in summer), that makes me sweat a lot, and the sweat accelerated the aging of pads
Humidity is the enemy of pads. Store in a fridge when not in use 😜😜😜

May 26, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #6,606 of 6,742
Humidity is the enemy of pads. Store in a fridge when not in use 😜😜😜
Thanks for advice!
I can already see the astonished face of my roommate when he opens the fridge lolz

May 26, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #6,607 of 6,742
Thanks for advice!
I can already see the astonished face of my roommate when he opens the fridge lolz
Just tell him you like to listen to cool music 😁😁😁

May 26, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #6,609 of 6,742
May 26, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #6,611 of 6,742
I have a pair of Dekoni fenester sheepskin I will try first. Thanks for the suggestion.
Those aren’t a bad deal though at $80. They will basically turn your Elear into an Elex.

May 26, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #6,615 of 6,742
Turning Elear to Elax.
That’s for your ears to decide. I never even tried my Elear with the stock Elear pads. I wanted an Elex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back