Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #4,727 of 6,742
There have been several recommendations, as well as some criticisms, about Sonarworks "True-Fi" software. Here is a recently posted short review from John Darko at Digital Audio Review (DAR) about his brief experience with the software during CanJam Europe 2017.
Just tried the trial out of curiosity. Was hoping it supported wasapi event for Foobar, but I can only get it to play on things like regular windows sounds, Amazon Music, etc, so that kinda sucks. I feel like it sounds really processed, whereas when I toy with the Graphic EQ plugin, it does a better job of what I feel are some of the Elears shortcomings... O well, if anyone can tell me how to get it to work with foobar, wasapi or otherwise, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #4,728 of 6,742
Just tried the trial out of curiosity. Was hoping it supported wasapi event for Foobar, but I can only get it to play on things like regular windows sounds, Amazon Music, etc, so that kinda sucks. I feel like it sounds really processed, whereas when I toy with the Graphic EQ plugin, it does a better job of what I feel are some of the Elears shortcomings... O well, if anyone can tell me how to get it to work with foobar, wasapi or otherwise, I'd greatly appreciate it.

It's meant to give a more accurate flat response, which kind of takes the 'character'/signature away from them, so it's not for everyone. I use their reference 4 plugin for studio work when I need a flat response, and just use EQ when I'm just using the Elear for general listening.

The Reference 4 plugin will work with Foobar, it's more expensive, but the latency is significantly reduced, among other benefits.

https://www.sonarworks.com/reference

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #4,729 of 6,742
It's meant to give a more accurate flat response, which kind of takes the 'character'/signature away from them, so it's not for everyone. I use their reference 4 plugin for studio work when I need a flat response, and just use EQ when I'm just using the Elear for general listening.

The Reference 4 plugin will work with Foobar, it's more expensive, but the latency is significantly reduced, among other benefits.

https://www.sonarworks.com/reference
Yeah I noticed the graphical curve turn the response flat...I was just curious as to what it did to "correct" the sound. Thanks.

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #4,730 of 6,742
I' be interested in trying the Clear pads on my Elear in the future having read that Jako, thanks, aesthetically a miss match but it is about the sound for me, mostly!

Can I do a search on a single thread? ..... This one' getting so long now.
Excuse if this has been asked. ... I'm running mine off of a Mojo portable while staying with family / friends etc.
I was thinking its might be nice to have a DAP for them. Smaller form and a single unit opposed to my Galaxy Tab S2 / iPhone to Mojo combos. Plus player software for me is not really consistent, can be a right PITA! ....... Not for Qobuz / Tidal streaming (although that may be nice I suppose) I use the Tab for that but for my ripped / purchased high res loss-less files. Not really needing fancy bells just top notch SQ and power with headroom.
I enjoy the Mojo sound with my Elear, to give you an idea what suits me. Anything DAP wise to compare or even better it in terms of SQ?
Around the 500 quid mark ....... My files are most every resolution including DSD. ....... Cheers!

Ok, so no one can recommed a DAP about 500 that compares favourably with the Mojo SQ then ?

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #4,731 of 6,742
Ok, so no one can recommed a DAP about 500 that compares favourably with the Mojo SQ then ?

Nope. You're trying to find a $500ish device that acts as a transport, dac, and amp, and trying to find comparable sound quality to that of a $500ish dedicated dac/amp. Doesn't seem to exist at the moment, but give it time.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #4,732 of 6,742
Hi, anyone using Elear with Violectric headphone amps (V100, V200)? how's the match? I've been looking at Schiit offering but those Violectric seem technically and specs a way superior, I guess that can be translated to SQ too (dynamics, power, SNR, etc)?
I've heard the Elear on two Violectric amps, the small one and the totl in the current line-up (can't remember the names, always struggle with Violectric's amp names).
Anyway the combo is a little too warm imo. I preferred the Jotunheim combo.
Depends on what you want though. Violectric if you want to play on the Elear's warm, "relaxed" signature, Jot if you want to play on the Elear's amazingly powerful dynamics and engagement. Some say Elear+Jot can get a little shouty, but wasn't a problem for me.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #4,733 of 6,742
Tubes, man. Tuuubes.

RXSmHd6.png

Nov 19, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #4,736 of 6,742
Nope. You're trying to find a $500ish device that acts as a transport, dac, and amp, and trying to find comparable sound quality to that of a $500ish dedicated dac/amp. Doesn't seem to exist at the moment, but give it time.
Ok thank you, exactly what i needed to know, cheers!
I'll keep listening to my Mojo and wait in anticipation of an equally capable DAP. :)

Nov 19, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #4,737 of 6,742
Just been listening to Martha Argerich with USB Audio Pro and Mojo. First time listening to Clasical piano since buying the Elear.
All I can say is, Prelude in C sharp minor, Op.3 No.2 Lento-Agitato-Tempo Primo. Absolutey STUNNING! :)

I'm letting my Senn HD650 go now im 100% happy with my Elear ....... Need to replace funds. I'l be popping them in the sale section if anyone' interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back