Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #6,736 of 6,742
They sound great, very detailed, airy, non fatiguing. I still find the bass lacking, in extension, quantity (it's pretty rolled off) and also slam. The midrange is wonderful though.

I'm still looking for some cans with the dynamic punch, dynamics, bass extension and relatively easy driveability of the Elears (I use them for some guitar noodling and studio interfaces aren't famous for their excellent headphone amps), but without the wonkiness of the Elears' frequency response, even with the massdrop Elex/Clear pads. I think that Clear OG would be my best bet. Any advice would be appreciated.
If money is no issue, just et the Focal Utopia and your search will be over in this category.....unless you like to try Planar Magnetic :relaxed:

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #6,738 of 6,742
Did anyone compared elear vs denon d7200?
I've had both, although at different times. I've also owned the Denon D5200 alongside the Elear (with Elex pads, so basically it's the Elex now). I kept the Focal and sold both Denons. I liked the D5200 very much, it's easy to drive, less bloated than the D7200, sounds smooth, detailed enough and balanced enough for my taste. It is a shame that since nowadays I mainly use headphones for guitar playing, my headphone should be a good match with my guitar interface (Motu M2), and the D5200 wasn't. The Motu drives the Focal better, it's a good enough pairing for both music listening and guitar playing. The Elear's dynamics are unmatched in this price range, but it's a weird sound, you'll have to get used to it. Not the last word when it comes to well executed tuning.

If money is no issue, just et the Focal Utopia and your search will be over in this category.....unless you like to try Planar Magnetic :relaxed:
For my headphone using habits it would be a massive overkill. I've had the Ananda, the Denons I mentioned, HE400i 2020 and 400s, Nad HP50 (brilliant, loved that), some Grado (225i maybe), I also tried the H6SE, Clear, multiple Sennheisers, the Neumann open back model (NDH 30 iirc), MrSpeakers Aeon, Ultrasone Signature DXP, some Beyers and a few others I can't remember, and it was always the Elear/Elex I kept. The Clear OG was probably the best I've heard within my budget (~6-700€ used), so that's my best bet so far.

BTW the HD600 was lovely with the little Spartan Helot tube amp. If I had some desktop space available, I'd probably be happy with that combo too.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #6,739 of 6,742
I've had both, although at different times. I've also owned the Denon D5200 alongside the Elear (with Elex pads, so basically it's the Elex now). I kept the Focal and sold both Denons. I liked the D5200 very much, it's easy to drive, less bloated than the D7200, sounds smooth, detailed enough and balanced enough for my taste. It is a shame that since nowadays I mainly use headphones for guitar playing, my headphone should be a good match with my guitar interface (Motu M2), and the D5200 wasn't. The Motu drives the Focal better, it's a good enough pairing for both music listening and guitar playing. The Elear's dynamics are unmatched in this price range, but it's a weird sound, you'll have to get used to it. Not the last word when it comes to well executed tuning.

For my headphone using habits it would be a massive overkill. I've had the Ananda, the Denons I mentioned, HE400i 2020 and 400s, Nad HP50 (brilliant, loved that), some Grado (225i maybe), I also tried the H6SE, Clear, multiple Sennheisers, the Neumann open back model (NDH 30 iirc), MrSpeakers Aeon, Ultrasone Signature DXP, some Beyers and a few others I can't remember, and it was always the Elear/Elex I kept. The Clear OG was probably the best I've heard within my budget (~6-700€ used), so that's my best bet so far.

BTW the HD600 was lovely with the little Spartan Helot tube amp. If I had some desktop space available, I'd probably be happy with that combo too.
If this wasn’t for your guitar playing
What would you pick?

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #6,740 of 6,742
If this wasn’t for your guitar playing
What would you pick?
D5200 for pop
Elear for metal, jazz

Something completely different for classical music (HD800s, Ananda). Also forget the Elear if you're obsessed with big soundstage. It's pretty narrow usually, you'll need a special dac and a special amp to have a spacious sound. With the Audio Analogue AADac and Violectric V550 it sounded airy and almost perfect, but those aren't cheap. The D5200 have a nice soundstage. And of course D5200 over D7200 for most use cases. Bassheads might prefer the 7200.

And an other remark: the Denons are closed, but their passive isolation is almost nonexistent, you hear almost everything around you. Good thing that the family doesn't hear what you're listening to, so it's better than a completely open headphone for night sessions. For travelling though, find something else, you'd hear plenty of environmental noise on a bus, train, let alone airplanes.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #6,741 of 6,742
D5200 for pop
Elear for metal, jazz

Something completely different for classical music (HD800s, Ananda). Also forget the Elear if you're obsessed with big soundstage. It's pretty narrow usually, you'll need a special dac and a special amp to have a spacious sound. With the Audio Analogue AADac and Violectric V550 it sounded airy and almost perfect, but those aren't cheap. The D5200 have a nice soundstage. And of course D5200 over D7200 for most use cases. Bassheads might prefer the 7200.

And an other remark: the Denons are closed, but their passive isolation is almost nonexistent, you hear almost everything around you. Good thing that the family doesn't hear what you're listening to, so it's better than a completely open headphone for night sessions. For travelling though, find something else, you'd hear plenty of environmental noise on a bus, train, let alone airplanes.
Thanks for the clarification 👍

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #6,742 of 6,742

Loves the Elear too and kept it along with the Ananda, the Sen HD600 is best coupled with tube amps especially the Darkvoice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back