Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jun 19, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #481 of 5,632
Jun 19, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #487 of 5,632
For one, HD800(S) are probably the best dynamic headphone in years so it's natural to use it as reference to judge a newcomer (tremendously helpful for me as I know what the HD800/S sound like).
Second, the Utopia is actually rather similar in design (very open baffle, similar size cup it seems, different tech but very rigid/quick driver).
AKG K1000 is a whole different beast with its pad less design. In other words, it's not because Focal rep says they put a miniaturized speaker in front of your ears that you must believe everything they imply about soundstage / reproducing the Utopia loudspeaker experience.
As a matter of fact, I am yet to read some impression that the Utopia images well / better than other similar tech headphones.

arnaud

@arnaud yes thats right,the K1000 from the past is similar to the Uropia

NOMAX

PS.RYBACK&RENNER(contributors from K1000)are also working on a New Flagship.....first look here at the pic lol

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #488 of 5,632
So... From the first listening impressions here, It looks like Focal has not clearly reached the goal that they mention In Jude´s video : " make, Thanks to a VERY open design, an headphone that sound more like a 2 channel speaker system than any other headphone.

They claimed to offer an experience close to listening to the Big Focal speaker !

Unfortunately this seems not to be the case. Am I correct ?

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #491 of 5,632
mmm......a few weeks ago,.I had a chance to audition (and own) the Pioneer SE-Master 1. My dealer here had exactly one unit. I ignored the offer. I should have auditioned it, at the very least. BTT, at least we now have more impressions coming in........keep it coming.

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #494 of 5,632
Apparently Master 1 not sold in the US

Hm, in this video from RMAF 2015 the Pioneer rep says that they were going to bring them to the North American market starting in Spring 2016.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf-2015-pioneer-se-master-1-flagship-headphones#xPaHofHtAXxTJKeE.97

Then again, he also says that they've been available worldwide for a couple of years, which definitely doesn't add up, so maybe he just doesn't know what he's talking about. 
tongue.gif

Still it would be interesting comparison. Master 1 and utopia are to my knowledge the two most expensive open back dynamic headphones currently in production. Both are easy to drive and both are described more natural sounding than hd800.

I would also be interested in such a comparison. From what I've read here (and owning the Pioneer), it sounds to me like Master1 does about everything Utopia does in regards to SQ, BQ, comfort while exceeding it in terms of bass quantity/quality and soundstage, but I'm admittedly biased. Still, so far I get the impression that, obviously very generally speaking, SE-M1 > Utopia > HD800(S) while Elear > TH-900, but I could be wrong, of course.

In any case, the concept is interesting, the Focal guy in the video seems to know what he's talking about, and I'm curious to see (i.e. hear) if Focal has succeeded in creating a headphone with a "speaker-like" sound, which I would probably be inclined to like. I know Pioneer already has (and for almost half the price at that -- which is still a LOT of money, mind you).

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #495 of 5,632
  mmm......a few weeks ago,.I had a chance to audition (and own) the Pioneer SE-Master 1. My dealer here had exactly one unit. I ignored the offer. I should have auditioned it, at the very least. BTT, at least we now have more impressions coming in........keep it coming.

I'm that close to giving you mine as a gift if you just stop purring. 
wink.gif

mmm......too bad

I got a TH-900 for you, but I think you already have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back