Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 8, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #1,621 of 5,632
I suggest you read your post again and realise how stupid that statement sounds

Taking a dislike to three quarters of a billion people because you can't have a pair of headphones

I think he meant the country, not the people.

Aug 8, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #1,622 of 5,632
I suggest you read your post again and realise how stupid that statement sounds

Taking a dislike to three quarters of a billion people because you can't have a pair of headphones

Did I say the people, European?
Europe is just the name of a continent.
Asia is a name of another continent. There are seven continents total. If don't like Asia or South America, does it mean to you that I don't like those people? Please don't bring race into your arguments. It's just pure English speaking. I think you just think too deep.
By the way, I love French food.
The hp can wait. It's just a toy part of your life, nothing too important.
Relax, take a deep breath and breath out.
It's all good.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #1,623 of 5,632
Did I say the people, European?
Europe is just the name of a continent.
Asia is a name of another continent. There are seven continents total. If don't like Asia or South America, does it mean to you that I don't like those people? Please don't bring race into your arguments. It's just pure English speaking. I think you just think too deep.
By the way, I love French food.
The hp can wait. It's just a toy part of your life, nothing too important.
Relax, take a deep breath and breath out.
It's all good.

Take it easy, man. All are just talks.
I like French food too, they tend to look like a piece of art, but one course can not be enough for
dinner last time I had it.  The serving plate is so much bigger than food in it.

And these Utopia/Elear are surely good look headphones.
I always feel that European have good sense of art.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #1,624 of 5,632
  Utopia review is up at Inner Fidelity, he likes them
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/worlds-best-headphone-focal-utopia#ursEyedYMdLfZl1J.97

I think Tyll really nailed it with his review of the Utopia.  I completely agree with everything he had to say about them.

Hopefully, Focal will eventually offer a leather version of the Elear earpads so that those who want a little more bass can easily get it without having to use an EQ.  They would just need to switch earpads.

Also, they should offer (or just include) a shorter 1.5m-2m cable.  Only including a 4m cable is a little ridiculous.

But all in all, I agree with Tyll that the Utopia is pretty much the best overall headphones currently available.

I (like everybody else) just wish that they weren't so frickin' expensive.  But the best always is.  C'est la vie.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #1,626 of 5,632
Aug 8, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #1,628 of 5,632

I think Tyll really nailed it with his review of the Utopia.  I completely agree with everything he had to say about them.

Hopefully, Focal will eventually offer a leather version of the Elear earpads so that those who want a little more bass can easily get it without having to use an EQ.  They would just need to switch earpads.

Also, they should offer (or just include) a shorter 1.5m-2m cable.  Only including a 4m cable is a little ridiculous.

But all in all, I agree with Tyll that the Utopia is pretty much the best overall headphones currently available.

I (like everybody else) just wish that they weren't so frickin' expensive.  But the best always is.  C'est la vie.

Hopefully, Focal will eventually offer a leather version of the Elear earpads so that those who want a little more bass can easily get it without having to use an EQ.  They would just need to switch earpads.

If I am in the Focal Marketing dept., I will not let consumers have that option. Change the Elear pads to a leather type so to make consumers more happy. No way.
I would think of that new leather pads and minor changes to the cosmetic look of the outside of Elear and make it a gen 2. Make more money that way by forcing consumers to buy another set. That's how Sens came out with HD800S, cost more---minor adjustment--- added different color, and call it a newer package.

I am not surprise if Focal already follows Sens direction by next year Gen 2.
Call me absurd, but it can happen that way. New technology just doesn't pop up like an overnight. Focal said 4 years in the making of these HPs?

I said IF I am in the Focal Marketing Dept. This is the idea to sell.
$999 x 100 ~ $100K
$3999 x 100 ~ $400K
Very fast to get your money back and profit.
I just don't think big consumers or clients pay $200K plus for THE UTOPIA II loudspeaker from an overnight audition. It will take many events to hear and think hard before placing the money. Take longer to build big speakers too. More time for QC check and further testing before box it up.
HP is much easy and faster to do that.

I think Focal just tab the HP market for  hi-fi & ultimate consumers, and they know consumers will like or even love the Elear/Utopia based on SQ.
I assume a lot of people already made the decision overnight to pre order these HPs.
I've made one.

I hope I don't offend anyone. Just take it like a grain of salt.
This is just a thought/idea/imagination/ unrealistic sell?

Just my 2 cents.

It's all good.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #1,629 of 5,632
I am seriously wondering if Jude would pick the Elear or the Utopia over the Sennheiser Orpheus?

After all the Orpheus nearly brought him to tears...it was obviously an exciting, powerful, very personal, and emotional experience for him.

I honestly have to say that I am extremely excited about both of these new 'phones simply for the fact that Focal are intending to make truly world class headphones at their respective price points. Unless I win the lotto, I will never be able to buy the Utopia floor standing speakers (let alone have a room that would serve them well), but $1k, or even $4k is doable if I scrimp and save for several years to get them.

Several years, yes, just to buy a pair of headphones seems almost ridiculous, however, if they last through all of those years while retaining the throne (so-to-speak) then even your average guy like myself could realistically save up to get something that would give me pride of ownership at a level even beyond what my car, or all my other gear provides...and I don't have to win the lotto to make that dream come true. It can be a goal, instead of a wishlist...very cool!

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #1,630 of 5,632

If I am in the Focal Marketing dept., I will not let consumers have that option. Change the Elear pads to a leather type so to make consumers more happy. No way.
I would think of that new leather pads and minor changes to the cosmetic look of the outside of Elear and make it a gen 2. Make more money that way by forcing consumers to buy another set. That's how Sens came out with HD800S, cost more---minor adjustment--- added different color, and call it a newer package.

I know you are being sarcastic here, but what you said actually reminded me of something Nicolas mentioned to me when I spoke with him at the launch event. 

I made the point to him that there was an unusually large price gap between the $1000 Elear and the $4000 Utopia.  He said that Focal was aware of this and that they were toying with the idea creating another headphone that would be specifically marketed to professionals (Focal has a significant range of pro studio monitors) and that it would be priced somewhere between the Elear and Utopia.

Who knows when or even if it will ever happen, but there might be a third high-end Focal headphone coming out in the near/distant future! 
eek.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #1,631 of 5,632

Mr.XERO1,

Good,Better, Best

In our headphone range context, the Elear competes against everything under $2k.  ( according to Tyll, who is believable )

$4k covers all the big Stax systems and every other pricy contender. 

The Elear seems to be a price mistake, it should've been $2k, which is the way a Corporate USA outfit would think. ( I think ) 

I'm a Sennheiser lover but Tyll has convinced me.  I'll have a listen and buy accordingly.   Tyll's comments seem far too positive but I'm taking the bait! 

And,  Ford gave up the triple marketing, GM reduced to the Triple range product marketing, I like the dual range concept, Linn in Scotland stayed with only one Turntable ( didn't they? ) which is still in production, phew.

Tony in Michigan

ps.  Maybe Focal will do a Closed version of that transducer device but I won't clamor for it. 

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #1,632 of 5,632
From the reviews about Elear, it is comparable with Audeze LCD-2 which I was thinking to add to my collection
but didn't because of its weight.
Now Elear comes with same price and doing well at this price range, I will wait for more owners to report their impression
after break-in in the near future.

As some have suggested to have shorter cable option, I actually think it should have no cable option
since as said that most Audiophiles are using after market cable any way, why not save from stock
for after market one.
This will challenge manufacture to provide a better cable to compete, right?

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #1,633 of 5,632
while I do not like the ostentatious branding on either headphones, I will say this, they are beautifully built, and in construction alone (excluding that *grado-esque* cable), the Elear are physically better made than all the headphones I have personally used or tried in person.

already found a friend who'd be buying my LCDX and HD650 when the Elear shipment arrives in HK in October, LCDX will cover the Elear and the hd650 will cover the replacement cable lol.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #1,634 of 5,632
Mmmm....Focal Utopia, the first googly moogly headphone in the world. Lol! There's budget-fi, mid-fi, summit-fi.......and now a new category: googly-moogly-fi. Love the review. If there's any more doubt, have your ears cleaned.

Here comes the HD 900......

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #1,635 of 5,632
  From the reviews about Elear, it is comparable with Audeze LCD-2 which I was thinking to add to my collection
but didn't because of its weight.
Now Elear comes with same price and doing well at this price range, I will wait for more owners to report their impression
after break-in in the near future.

As some have suggested to have shorter cable option, I actually think it should have no cable option
since as said that most Audiophiles are using after market cable any way, why not save from stock
for after market one.
This will challenge manufacture to provide a better cable to compete, right?

why wait. There has been enough reporting already. burn in shmurn-in. Impressions will still be so close. burnin can only do a little bit. 

I brought them to the meet and everyone loved the Elears... EVERYONE. 

Not to feed the hype but its a new day... for real. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back