Focal Clear vs LCD-3?
Dec 24, 2018 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lamaslamas

Head-Fier
Hi guys,
If you had to choose, would you get the Clear (with a complementary LCD2C I already own), or the LCD-3 (and get rid of the lcd2c)?

Or maybe both :) ?

I love the Lcd2 bass and sound signature, but I'm tempted to upgrade, would it be worth in your opinion in terms of soundstage and clarity?

And in that case, it would be worth to replace my fiio a5 as well? And with which one?

Sources would be macbook pro and samsung galaxy mostly.

I would use them to listen mostly to modern and classic Psych rock, (post) punk, hip hop, IDM, as well as jazz, blues, folk, and classical. I'm not a metalhead really, but I enjoy some band.

I won't be able to try them around here, so that's not an option unfortunately,

Sorry for all the questions, but I need to clear up my mind and I think you are the right folks to ask,

Many thanks in advance

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 6
The LCD 3 Fazor is the only Audeze I like because in addition to that amazing Audeze bass, it actually has some upper mids and treble to go with it. It also has a wider soundstage than all of the other Audeze models except maybe the 4.

The Clear is brighter with a much smaller soundstage and it’s not planar. I’d pass but I prefer planars.

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 6
If you had to choose, would you get the Clear (with a complementary LCD2C I already own), or the LCD-3 (and get rid of the lcd2c)?
Or maybe both :) ?
I love the Lcd2 bass and sound signature, but I'm tempted to upgrade, would it be worth in your opinion in terms of soundstage and clarity?

What don't you like about the LCD-2? Do you think they desperately need more clarity? Because if not, you don't actually hate the sound out of them, and you're just wondering you might as well just sit back nd listen to them instead of worrying about what else is out there that you have not even heard yourself.

And in that case, it would be worth to replace my fiio a5 as well? And with which one?
Sources would be macbook pro and samsung galaxy mostly.
---
I won't be able to try them around here, so that's not an option unfortunately,

I'd be more inclined to put what money you have towards something like an AudioGD NFB-11 or NFB-28 for now than a new headphone when you don't exactly hate the headphones you have now and a new one can be a bit of a wild card. Whatever you get might improve on what you vaguely want to improve, but on the flipside, what if the other headphone is a bigger step down in other areas than that step up as far as what you can hear is concerned?

Dec 25, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 6
What don't you like about the LCD-2? Do you think they desperately need more clarity? Because if not, you don't actually hate the sound out of them, and you're just wondering you might as well just sit back nd listen to them instead of worrying about what else is out there that you have not even heard yourself.

Thanks,
there's nothing wrong with my lcd2, but I was really curious at least to test something different or "better", then maybe return it in case it wouldn't suit my taste and/or it would't be a real worth improvement.

Dec 25, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks,
there's nothing wrong with my lcd2, but I was really curious at least to test something different or "better", then maybe return it in case it wouldn't suit my taste and/or it would't be a real worth improvement.

If return shipping is cheap and you won't get charge a repacking fee or whatever else it's called, then sure, go ahead and try the Clear.

That said I got to try the Utopia vs my HD600 recently. Same $3,000 tube amp, same laptop as source (so I don't have my HD650 equalizer profile to the HD600), and the sound was too similar (even the size of the soundstage was barely any better, unlike how obvious it is when using the K701/2) that I'm not about to blow $3,000 on those headphones if I had to save up for them (if I win the lottery or get a new job though it would be an altogether different story).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back