Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Apr 15, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #271 of 2,126
Listening to them now, JMJ Amazonia, this is so much more.....I don’t know how to describe it, relaxing maybe, to listen 🎧

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #272 of 2,126
Quick question to the people who had the HD6xx, my curiousity is getting to me. If I have the Clear MG, is there any real point in getting the HD6xx? Mostly if I don't have super discerning ears.
I had the 650 probably 9 years ago and completely forgot how they sound but everyone ALWAYS raves about the HD6xx and very very rarely you see some person say "I have X,X, and X (all expensive headphones) but I always go back to my HD6xx"

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #273 of 2,126
Quick question to the people who had the HD6xx, my curiousity is getting to me. If I have the Clear MG, is there any real point in getting the HD6xx? Mostly if I don't have super discerning ears.
I had the 650 probably 9 years ago and completely forgot how they sound but everyone ALWAYS raves about the HD6xx and very very rarely you see some person say "I have X,X, and X (all expensive headphones) but I always go back to my HD6xx"
I know a lot of people love the HD6xx, but speaking for myself no. I have a HD6xx and an OG Clear, and I'm always disappointed when I go back to the 6xx. The only reason I don't get rid of it is for comparisons sake and all the stories I've heard of people buying back 6xx's and 600's. But it gets next to no listen time. Value for money though, they are amazing headphones.

Apr 15, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #274 of 2,126
Agree, I have own the HD650 several times during my journey in this hobby. They are ok and a good entry into the hobby, especially now with the drop price. There is really no reason, unless you want a decent back can.
But honestly, they get almost no head time now, and I can't remember the last time I pulled them out. WhenI reach for them last, I found them too dark, and the bass muddy and bloated and uncontrollable. I own a pair of HD660s that I enjoy a whole lot more and those get a good deal of head time especially with my AK SP-1000.

Apr 15, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #275 of 2,126
Sennheiser six-hundred series are great back up cans when you need to fall back, or need a cheap but terrific sounding can to abuse, as well as being really light and comfy. The Focal totl models are on another level to my ears, but also quite heavier to wear. Didn't touch my HD650 since I got my Clear years ago, except I did turn the HD650 into a head set by attaching a ModMic to it, it's light on head and comfy, easy to forget about it.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #276 of 2,126
I’m planning on selling my HD6XX and Sundara since getting my Clear OG.

The HD6XX and Sundara are really good but when I compared them to the Clear I felt it would be hard to go back.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #277 of 2,126
I’m planning on selling my HD6XX and Sundara since getting my Clear OG.
Yep. Add the Sundara to the list of things I still own but just don't listen to anymore. Every now and again I listen and they just can't hold me. They have a nice clean, balanced sound, but also are rather lifeless to me now. Those would be the first 2 headphone I'd get rid of if I had to.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #278 of 2,126
Yep. Add the Sundara to the list of things I still own but just don't listen to anymore. Every now and again I listen and they just can't hold me. They have a nice clean, balanced sound, but also are rather lifeless to me now. Those would be the first 2 headphone I get rid of if I had to.
Agree, and in terms of performance the Sundara actually gets pretty close to the Clear, and I think it actually beats the Clear in bass texture and airiness (though only slightly), but it comes across as sounding lean and even a little too bright and artificial at times. The Clear takes the treble detail of the Sundara but makes the treble sound more natural.

I feel like the Clear takes the technical ability of the Sundara and merges it with the tonality and midrange of the HD650, makes it pretty excellent in my book.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #279 of 2,126
I caved and ordered the MG pro yesterday, because my previous "dream upgrade", the DT 1990 just wasn't enough yet. Glad to read here again, that the MG and MG Pro are the same headphones with different paint, that Major Hifi review confused me.

There is one problem I have with the new MG series though.... I'm sitting on my couch, not at a desk, to listen to these, so the 1.2m cable is ridiculous for me.
So my question is, how do I get to 3+m? For now I ordered a 3m extension cable that jas a 6.5 jack and a 3.5mm socket (so I don't have to use 6.5mm adapter AND extension), but I'm wondering if I will notice a degradation in sound quality from that and should just get a new 3m custom cable.

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #280 of 2,126
Yep. Add the Sundara to the list of things I still own but just don't listen to anymore. Every now and again I listen and they just can't hold me. They have a nice clean, balanced sound, but also are rather lifeless to me now. Those would be the first 2 headphone I'd get rid of if I had to.
Try a different headphone cable... preferably pure silver.. It's surprising how much more can be squeezed out of the Sundara's.

Apr 19, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #281 of 2,126
Hi all! I'm considering buying a pair of MGs to upgrade from my Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pros. I've read a lot about how these headphone sound "relaxed", does this mean they're potentially a little boring for electronic/EDM music?

I like the analytical/relaxed sound with some genres, but I'd also like some fun when listening to genres with a bassline. Are these a good fit for me do you think?

I'll be driving them with an iFi xDSD amp.

Thanks!

Apr 19, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #282 of 2,126
Hi all! I'm considering buying a pair of MGs to upgrade from my Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pros. I've read a lot about how these headphone sound "relaxed", does this mean they're potentially a little boring for electronic/EDM music?

I like the analytical/relaxed sound with some genres, but I'd also like some fun when listening to genres with a bassline. Are these a good fit for me do you think?

I'll be driving them with an iFi xDSD amp.

Thanks!
I would not consider them boring at all. I also own dt 1770 pro so I can I at least give you some relative idea what you are going to. The MG pro will have way better dynamics, more satisfying bass, and a touch of airiness given it's open back nature. The rough treble of the DT 1770 (for me personally) is smoothed over but there is still more overall detail.

Apr 19, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #283 of 2,126
I would not consider them boring at all. I also own dt 1770 pro so I can I at least give you some relative idea what you are going to. The MG pro will have way better dynamics, more satisfying bass, and a touch of airiness given it's open back nature. The rough treble of the DT 1770 (for me personally) is smoothed over but there is still more overall detail.
Awesome, thank you so much! So the MGs are a clear upgrade over the 1770s for you? Is there anything you miss from the 1770s vs the MGs?

How's the soundstage? I've been quite happy with the soundstage of the 1770s, so I don't want to downgrade in that area.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #284 of 2,126
Awesome, thank you so much! So the MGs are a clear upgrade over the 1770s for you? Is there anything you miss from the 1770s vs the MGs?

How's the soundstage? I've been quite happy with the soundstage of the 1770s, so I don't want to downgrade in that area.
It’s a definite improvement in soundstage. I used the dekoni premium lambskin pads for my 1770. Either way across the board I felt it was an “upgrade”.
I don’t know if you game at all but the first thing I noticed with the mg was the imaging combined with sound stage was so fantastic I was able to pick out uav locations in the sky in call of duty. It’s just a weird thing I noticed is the accuracy of the image was fantastic.

Apr 19, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #285 of 2,126
Agree, and in terms of performance the Sundara actually gets pretty close to the Clear, and I think it actually beats the Clear in bass texture and airiness (though only slightly), but it comes across as sounding lean and even a little too bright and artificial at times. The Clear takes the treble detail of the Sundara but makes the treble sound more natural.

I feel like the Clear takes the technical ability of the Sundara and merges it with the tonality and midrange of the HD650, makes it pretty excellent in my book.
Yes, Clear is a dynamic that sounds planar in the highs. The imaging I would say the Hifimans do better.

That's what I find to be the best traits of the better Hifimans. The imaging.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back