Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Apr 3, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #258 of 2,126
For those that have heard the original Clear and the Clear MG - what is your opinion on the "impact" of the new driver as compared to the old clears' dynamic driver?
The most obvious difference is more weight and definition in the low end, the rest of the range is a little more "velvety" to me, and I mean that in the best possible way

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #259 of 2,126
The most obvious difference is more weight and definition in the low end, the rest of the range is a little more "velvety" to me, and I mean that in the best possible way
I’ve never own the OG Clear but that sound about right. Nice weight on very note and velvety is certainly a good choice for the MG.

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #260 of 2,126
I know we all hear differently and have our own preferences, but the Focal MG sounds absolutely amazing to me. They have very articulate and punchy bass. The midrange and treble sound…clear. I am sensitive to bright headphones and I find these to be very smooth and a little forgiving of bad recordings, yet without losing any clarity. I guess the fact that magnesium is self-damping really lets that quality shine.

You are on the stage with the singer and surrounded by the band. I have never defined a headphone as having a small soundstage based on how close you feel you are to the stage. I prefer to be up on stage right in front of the singer and surrounded by the musicians and instruments. But I want the stage to be wide and spread out. Well these do that in spades. The stage may be right in front of you, but it is not narrow by any means. The HD600/650/660/6XX are vastly more narrow. These image at least as wide as my Verite Open. In fact, I like these so much, I may be selling my Verite soon…

These are built well, look gorgeous, and sound like they look. To my ears, these are underrated.

May I ask which Dac&Amp do you use with your Clear MG?

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #262 of 2,126
From my point of view, a touch of more warmth, sweetness, fullness ... when I switch from the Ananda to the MG,
I feel more like sitting in front of large, fully grown speakers :ksc75smile: whereby the Ananda still presents a bit more silky details in voices and guitars.

But in total ..... the MG is my first focal, I am totally surprised and fell in love a little.
I can put the MG on in any mood, it always works and is not exhausting.

Apr 4, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #263 of 2,126
From my point of view, a touch of more warmth, sweetness, fullness ... when I switch from the Ananda to the MG,
I feel more like sitting in front of large, fully grown speakers :ksc75smile: whereby the Ananda still presents a bit more silky details in voices and guitars.

But in total ..... the MG is my first focal, I am totally surprised and fell in love a little.
I can put the MG on in any mood, it always works and is not exhausting.
Do you find the Ananda to be a little too bright?

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #265 of 2,126
Dunno if the new Mg microfiber handles better wear and stain. This could be a quick and easy DIY headband cover fix (made it for increasing my HD800 comfort actually).
Made a DIY comfort cover for my HD800 headband. Easy to make and recon it would work well on the Clear too, for protection against degrading, staining the microfiber.

On the Clear, wrapping the headband in just one layer would do the trick. Check it out here.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #268 of 2,126
Agree, I was swapping between the Hd800s and the Clear MG, and it is lush and much warmer than the hyper analytical HD800s. The biggest difference for me is the timbre how a kick drum punches and the texture in the sub base wow it sounds so sweet. It’s a nice contrast, the more I listen the more I love the MG.

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #269 of 2,126
Simply the most beautiful design from Focal!

2021_0406_15061500.jpg

Apr 14, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #270 of 2,126
Does anyone have any experience with getting earpad replacements from Focal? I've had mine for ~3 weeks now and I've noticed that my right earpad has less foam/material density than the left earpad, resulting in some contact with the inside and a bit of imbalance.

I sent in a product support request via their website, but just wondering if there's some more direct method.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back