Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Mar 19, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #61 of 2,126
Mar 19, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #62 of 2,126
Be careful with this line of thinking. There are a ton of products, both in the audio world and outside of it, that are upgraded or changed and end up being worse. Or, in the likely case of the Mg, not worse but different enough to where some will prefer the original, and opinions between the two seem to be down the middle currently.

The case of the Mg seems like it is coming down to preference, almost like an HD600/HD650 type of thing. The Clear might be more appealing to some now that it’s easier to get it for much less than the original asking price.
You are quite correct which is why a review from a trusted source, such as Jude, is so useful. You are also correct in pointing out that new Clear MG in no way diminishes the sound of the original Clear and that the sound of the original Clear may be preferred by many people. Since I don't own either the original Clear or the new Clear MG I will take a wait and see approach before I purchase either one. If the new MG ends up being the preferred choice for the headphone community while the Clear falls out of favor then the MG would be the one to buy. However if the opposite proves true and the original Clears remains the headphones of choice, well...

Nevertheless from the early reviews it appears that the new Clear MG is a step in the right direction but how big a step remains to be seen.

Mar 19, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #63 of 2,126
You are quite correct which is why a review from a trusted source, such as Jude, is so useful. You are also correct in pointing out that new Clear MG in no way diminishes the sound of the original Clear and that the sound of the original Clear may be preferred by many people. Since I don't own either the original Clear or the new Clear MG I will take a wait and see approach before I purchase either one. If the new MG ends up being the preferred choice for the headphone community while the Clear falls out of favor then the MG would be the one to buy. However if the opposite proves true and the original Clears remains the headphones of choice, well...

Nevertheless from the early reviews it appears that the new Clear MG is a step in the right direction but how big a step remains to be seen.
I was wanting a Clear for a while and too was planning to wait for a consensus on which version was better but I got a good deal on an og model and went with it. It sounds fantastic, and still to me seems like the Mg sounds just as good but just has a different flavor.

Mar 19, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #64 of 2,126
I was wanting a Clear for a while and too was planning to wait for a consensus on which version was better but I got a good deal on an og model and went with it. It sounds fantastic, and still to me seems like the Mg sounds just as good but just has a different flavor.

Stop making sense you're making the rest of us look bad.

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #65 of 2,126
I received mine today. Let them play for a few hours before I started listening. I'm definitely not ready to pass final judgement on them yet but I do find myself needing to turn the volume down to lower levels than I'm used to with both the Elear and the original Clear. They definitely don't sound bright or metallic, yet I do seem to be experiencing some ear fatigue. Not sure what exactly is going on, maybe they just need more break-in time.

The Clear MG definitely needs break-in. Fresh out of the box, its upper mids were quite forward, I would even call them aggressive. It needed break-in with punchy bass-heavy tracks at quite high volume to settle down. Now it sounds full, clean, dynamic and also relaxed and non-fatiguing. This is the first dynamic headphone, which I ever experienced that burn-in was definitely needed to sound at its best. I had the chance to listen to a second new pair of these headphones recently, and it had the same issue, maybe a bit less pronounced. My Clear MG after burn-in sounded clearly better than the new unit. So best feed your Clear MG with music with punchy bass for a few dozen hours at high volume levels (around 100db), and I am quite sure that this issue is gone. I like my Clear MG a lot now.

Cheers,
Bernie

40763902mb.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #66 of 2,126
The Clear MG definitely needs break-in. Fresh out of the box, its upper mids were quite forward, I would call them even aggressive. It needed break-in with punchy bass-heavy tracks at quite high volume to settle down. Now it sounds full, clean, dynamic and also relaxed and non-fatiguing. This is the first dynamic headphone, which I ever experienced that burn-in was definitely needed to sound at its best. I had the chance to listen to a second new pair of these headphones recently, and it had the same issue, maybe a bit less pronounced. My Clear MG after burn-in sounded clearly better than the new unit. So best feed your Clear MG with music with punchy bass for a few dozen hours at high volume levels (around 100db), and I am quite sure that this issue is gone. I like my Clear MG a lot now. No worry

Cheers,
Bernie

40763902mb.jpg

Yes, I agree. I have about 12 hrs or so on mine and do already see improvement.

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #67 of 2,126
Hello all,
Just got my clear mg pro last week. While, I love the analytical sound i get by pairing it with AKM4493/THX AAA 789 combo, I was wondering if the sound could get a tad more musical with another Dac/Amp combo.
I hope this question isnt too early as many reviewers are yet to test, and measure this product and recommend possible combinations.
For me personally, it did require a burn in of about 10 hours to make the mids and treble richer.

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #68 of 2,126
Hello all,
Just got my clear mg pro last week. While, I love the analytical sound i get by pairing it with AKM4493/THX AAA 789 combo, I was wondering if the sound could get a tad more musical with another Dac/Amp combo.
I hope this question isnt too early as many reviewers are yet to test, and measure this product and recommend possible combinations.
For me personally, it did require a burn in of about 10 hours to make the mids and treble richer.
I'm using a Gungnir multi-bit and Mjolnir 2 and all balanced connections (Silver Dragon I/C's between them). I don't find this combo to be analytical at all with the Mg's (or any other cans, for that matter), in fact quite the contrary. Very musical, lush, and involving. I have found that a silver cable to the phones is not to my liking and can shift the sound to being much more analytical. I stick strictly to copper headphone cables, and since the balanced one supplied with the Mg's is unnecessarily long (as is Focal's custom) and very unimpressive to look at I have a Black Dragon on order.

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #69 of 2,126
I’m using it with a Flux FA-12 fully balanced. This amp is not Analytical like any of the THX amps. It much more musical, class A. I prefer that sound, I’ve owned those THX amps 789 and the SP 200 great amps. But way to hyper analytical and I was fatigue after listening for a few hours. So I looked elsewhere and I’m much happier with the Flux amp.

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #70 of 2,126
But if you need a remote you have to choose Smsl. The other ams are much more expensive (Ifi, Burson, Violectric). I read some reviews about the new clear. I think the original / old Clear could be better for rock / metal and movies because it is a bit warmer. Is that right?

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #73 of 2,126
The Clear MG definitely needs break-in. Fresh out of the box, its upper mids were quite forward, I would even call them aggressive. It needed break-in with punchy bass-heavy tracks at quite high volume to settle down. Now it sounds full, clean, dynamic and also relaxed and non-fatiguing. This is the first dynamic headphone, which I ever experienced that burn-in was definitely needed to sound at its best. I had the chance to listen to a second new pair of these headphones recently, and it had the same issue, maybe a bit less pronounced. My Clear MG after burn-in sounded clearly better than the new unit. So best feed your Clear MG with music with punchy bass for a few dozen hours at high volume levels (around 100db), and I am quite sure that this issue is gone. I like my Clear MG a lot now.

Cheers,
Bernie

40763902mb.jpg
They sure do look pretty.

Mar 19, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #74 of 2,126
I'm using a Gungnir multi-bit and Mjolnir 2 and all balanced connections (Silver Dragon I/C's between them). I don't find this combo to be analytical at all with the Mg's (or any other cans, for that matter), in fact quite the contrary. Very musical, lush, and involving. I have found that a silver cable to the phones is not to my liking and can shift the sound to being much more analytical. I stick strictly to copper headphone cables, and since the balanced one supplied with the Mg's is unnecessarily long (as is Focal's custom) and very unimpressive to look at I have a Black Dragon on order.
Awesome, thanks for the response. Will look this up and see if it fits my budget.
Yep, the focals balanced cable is way too long, I use aftermarket cables anyways, always better than stock

I’m using it with a Flux FA-12 fully balanced. This amp is not Analytical like any of the THX amps. It much more musical, class A. I prefer that sound, I’ve owned those THX amps 789 and the SP 200 great amps. But way to hyper analytical and I was fatigue after listening for a few hours. So I looked elsewhere and I’m much happier with the Flux amp.
Sounds good, will check those out. I agree, the THX are good amps, but its gets too analytical especially with this pairing.

Mar 19, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #75 of 2,126
I went down the same path as well. The OG Clear and Clear Pro was heavily discounted in Australia recently. $1500 for the OG Clear with all the extra cables and $1200 for the OG Clear Pro with extra pads and cable are too good to pass up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back