Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Mar 18, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #16 of 2,126
OK. So if I understand correctly, that means you redo the measurements for each new reviews...

In addition to the Focal Clear Mg, for this video we measured the Focal Clear and Focal Utopia. We'd done some measurements of these headphones on the Brüel & Kjær 5128 in the past, but didn't have complete sets (multiple seatings). The HD650 and HD800S measurements that were shown on the video (made on the 5128) were completed some time ago and have been used in video before and posted on the forums before.

If you're asking if we measure before and after a break-in period, the answer is no -- at least not specifically for that purpose.

When reasonably possible, we try to measure headphones when they're brand new, but that's not always possible..

Mar 18, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #18 of 2,126
Thanks for measurements. Sure it sounds expensive. I also love Focal’s new grill design. It is so futurisfic that i expect this model to be around for a long time.
Maybe it’s not a proper topic to discuss it but, closed back line up are;
Celestee, Radiance, Stellia
Open are;
Elear (discontinued) Clear MG, Utopia.

Makes me wonder if there’s another winner on the pipeline to replace Elear... maybe an Elearestee. :jecklinsmile:

Mar 18, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #19 of 2,126
In addition to the Focal Clear Mg, for this video we measured the Focal Clear and Focal Utopia. We'd done some measurements of these headphones on the Brüel & Kjær 5128 in the past, but didn't have complete sets (multiple seatings). The HD650 and HD800S measurements that were shown on the video (made on the 5128) were completed some time ago and have been used in video before and posted on the forums before.

If you're asking if we measure before and after a break-in period, the answer is no -- at least not specifically for that purpose.

When reasonably possible, we try to measure headphones when they're brand new, but that's not always possible..
Excellent review Jude! I wonder how would you compare the technical performance of the new clear mg to HD800s in terms of resolution, transient, dynamic, imaging clarity etc. Any info would be appreciated!

Mar 18, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #20 of 2,126
I would love to see a new closed-back headphone from Focal that uses the Mg driver. :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #22 of 2,126
Great review Jude and thanks for the measurements.
It's really nice to hear that it's less metallic which I didn't like in original Clear.

I was hoping they would continue the original Clear and tune MG more fun and musical side.

With smoother treble, is the signature close to HD6XX/HD650? If anyone looking for an upgrade from HD6XX.

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #23 of 2,126
My 'two peneth' thought on comments of bass'ier sound is ear cup foam density being very slightly different and clamping force differing from the original Clear. I'm no expert though! 😄

Can't wait to get a pair though.... just trying to locate a reliable Focal retailer in the UK is not easy as Moon Audio won't ship these 'Phones to the UK. A shame as I would have liked the Silver Dragon v3 Moon Audio cable with it.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #25 of 2,126
Interesting, someone who I trust and know personally and has access to both the Clear and Clear MG already told me that they sound the same. But I did not believe him as people on head-fi said otherwise.

The measurements shows exactly what he was hearing. He got good ears apparently.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #27 of 2,126

Exactly all I wanted to know. Thanks a lot for your precise and complete answer. Very much appreciate :heart:
Great job jude👍

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #30 of 2,126
Interesting they choose to update the Clear before Elear or Utopia. Wonder if that means we should not be expecting a refresh of the older models, especially the Elear.

I have no doubt the new M shaped honeycomb grill in the cup and the new Mg driver do make an audible difference, however, their official presentation video felt too vague and insecure about what exactly was being "improved" with these changes.

Will be interesting to see if these are gonna be picky as the old ones, in terms of upstream matching, and how many will find these too forward sounding, as many felt was the case with the old model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back