Focal Clear headphones
Dec 3, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #11,328 of 12,543
Tell them to refund you the difference, it's the same company..
Message sent. And asked about the Radiance too.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Dec 3, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #11,329 of 12,543
The Little Dot amps are nice with Focal headphones, although I haven't tried my newest Focals on my new one yet.
In the past I liked my Elex's on my Little Dot MKIII.

I must try the LD MK9 with the Clear's and Radiance.

I have a Violectric V220 amp that feels and sounds tubey to me. I find it warm and soft. It is Rocking my Clears very nicely. The last few days I have been using my hybrid iFi amp, but the V220 is much more tube-like to me.

I use my Clear OG with my Little Dot MK III and my Feliks Audio Espressivio OTL tube amps. They sound great with both. No bloated bass that I can discern.

Leo

Dec 3, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #11,330 of 12,543
I've been seeing recently that a lot of people enjoy the Clear on tubes over solid state, kind of curious about trying it but I know nothing about tube amps lol. If it adds a touch of warmth and roundness to the Clear sound though I might enjoy it. I've just always been a solid state guy, just to allow the amp to provide more power and volume.

Tube amps are not inherently "warmer" then SS headamps.

SS are not inherently more powerful than tube headamps.

Make sure the amp lists the output impedance and its <8ohms ideally. A tube amp with a transformer or a hybrid design with mosfet output should work. Trannie's are likely to sound more "tubey". Both are likely to be a revelation compared to a high negative feedback SS amp.

Ideally audition with your headphones before buying. Enjoy :)

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #11,331 of 12,543
Tell them to refund you the difference, it's the same company..
I wanted to reply with an update.

First off, I have to admit that I thought you were just being a dick with your original post. It turned out that I was VERY wrong about that!:flushed:

I did indeed get a partial refund today and it was bigger than the difference between the two prices.

Thanks a lot for jumping into my situation and helping out! :thumbsup:

PS: They changed the price on headphones.ca up to $1,149.00. :smile:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #11,332 of 12,543
That's cool! I've only purchased from Headphones.com once (my Clear in September) and it was a very good experience. They know how to take care of their customers.

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #11,333 of 12,543
That's cool! I've only purchased from Headphones.com once (my Clear in September) and it was a very good experience. They know how to take care of their customers.
April is awesome! Be it general questions or solving problems.

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #11,335 of 12,543
Hi , my Clear OG will arrive at early January. I'm so excited.

Can you recommend me a cheap pad replacements?

Is The one on AliExpress clear pads will sounds much different than the original? The buyer review says it sounds almost the same / same to the original. But, I want to hear a review from this thread ^^

Thank you!

Also, I want to color the pads into blue and red for the replacement pads.

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #11,337 of 12,543
Dec 6, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #11,338 of 12,543
Hi , my Clear OG will arrive at early January. I'm so excited.

Can you recommend me a cheap pad replacements?

Is The one on AliExpress clear pads will sounds much different than the original? The buyer review says it sounds almost the same / same to the original. But, I want to hear a review from this thread ^^

Thank you!

Also, I want to color the pads into blue and red for the replacement pads.
I am liking the Dekoni Stellia earpads.
If Focal was like Meze they would have sold the Focal Clear with alternative earpads - 'Fun' and 'Analytical'. The Dekoni Stellia pads are 'Fun' although they retain the technicalities of the driver, just more low end prescence.

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #11,339 of 12,543
I am liking the Dekoni Stellia earpads.
If Focal was like Meze they would have sold the Focal Clear with alternative earpads - 'Fun' and 'Analytical'. The Dekoni Stellia pads are 'Fun' although they retain the technicalities of the driver, just more low end prescence.
I just think of the Stellia pads as being for closed backs? They were great for my Elegia's in improving the sound. I bought them used from a local seller as he had bought them for his Clear's.

Have you ever tried the fenestrated sheepskins?

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #11,340 of 12,543
I just think of the Stellia pads as being for closed backs? They were great for my Elegia's in improving the sound. I bought them used from a local seller as he had bought them for his Clear's.

Have you ever tried the fenestrated sheepskins?
I have indeed tried the fenestrated sheepskins, they were more V-shaped than their 'Stellia' style of earpad. I modded them by increasing the size of the fenestrations with a torx screwdriver which helped a little bit, but they still didn't have the detail retrieval of the stock pads, especially in the bass which was boomy and unrefined. The diffusion pad in all stock Focal earpads and the Dekoni Stellia earpad help to wick away that excess low end and retains the detailed sound from the drivers.
Whether it was a bad batch or not, the fenestrated earpads were made of very thin, cheap feeling leather that became uncomfortable after a few months of use. I spent a year or two trying everything; conditioning the leather, cleaning and letting the leather dry out for a few months and then reapplying conditioner, it was just bad quality leather.
The Dekoni Stellia is much higher quality in all regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back