Focal Clear headphones
Oct 27, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #10,036 of 12,542
Focal Clear Pro or HD800S for late night movie watching on the PC?
Recently found a nice couch / armchair outside for free, combined with an ultra wide monitor and I've gotten into film watching at night. The Focal Clear Pro is fast and detailed (and dynamic) while watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night - how would the HD800S compare? Anyone tried both?

Oct 28, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #10,038 of 12,542
Focal Clear Pro or HD800S for late night movie watching on the PC?
Recently found a nice couch / armchair outside for free, combined with an ultra wide monitor and I've gotten into film watching at night. The Focal Clear Pro is fast and detailed (and dynamic) while watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night - how would the HD800S compare? Anyone tried both?
Had the OG Clear and currently still have an SDR modded HD800. You can really go with either for movie watching. The difference probably is that Focal has better dynamics that might make you adjust the volume consistently throughout the movie, whereas the HD800 has this interesting presentation where almost all the details are volume matched, which can be something you'd prefer but may not be really beneficial for movie watching. You do lose out on bass quantity and impact when the audio calls for it though (something EQ can address a bit). The HD800/S also has the advantage of a wider head stage so if you like that slight advantage, the HD800/S has it.

So do you want your presentation more dynamic/engaging or more evenly presented but has more raw detail? That's up to you. You don't really need another "dedicated" headphone for movie watching unless you like burning cash.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #10,040 of 12,542
Received my Forza Audioworks cable today & am very pleased. Exceptional quality. https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=73. Thanks again to jonathan c for the Forza tip.

Test your Focal headphones / pads / cable with this :
Move the cursor along the timeline for the different audiophile samples. This is where you see what's what. Make sure to find the sweet spot in volume where the drivers are just starting to be driven well. Very crucial when auditioning anything.
Another: (more good stuff listed as well)
@1:46 is a great sample of electric bass growl, drum kit & the character of an electric hollow body jazz guitar in a blues setting.

To wrap the testing source stuff you all may want to have a look at this. REALLY! :

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #10,041 of 12,542
Focal is better - i sold HD800
Thanks good to know. I am in the market for new phones as my denon 7000 are falling apart and I need to get them repaired. I didn't know focal made phones. I haven't looked at new stuff in the market for 6 years at least. I have all Focal speakers in my ride and they are literally the best I have ever bought for a vehicle. So Id bet money there head phones are pretty good. Which is there best offering besides the 4k beryllium? the Clear Pro's?

Oct 31, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #10,042 of 12,542
Thanks good to know. I am in the market for new phones as my denon 7000 are falling apart and I need to get them repaired. I didn't know focal made phones. I haven't looked at new stuff in the market for 6 years at least. I have all Focal speakers in my ride and they are literally the best I have ever bought for a vehicle. So Id bet money there head phones are pretty good. Which is there best offering besides the 4k beryllium? the Clear Pro's?
Everyone has an opinion, and I disagree with the clears being better than the hd800 for movies. In regards to movies, the hd800 has a significantly larger soundstage and overall is more detailed. It is excellent for movies and media. The clear is no slouch, though. It’s presentation has more intimacy and impact, and goes well with movies that have more kick. I mentioned in another thread that fury road is great on the clears. Overall, if you’re talking movies or gaming I would generally recommend the hd800 first, though.

Also, the clears are less expensive than the clear pros for the same sound. You’re just giving up a second pair of pads and different style cable.

Oct 31, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #10,043 of 12,542
All of them are quite good, and they (mostly) all share the Focal sound signature with some tweaks here and there: Mid-Neutral with a very dynamic low-end, "metallic" treble, and a narrow soundstage. I'll do a quick summary of their lineup, however note that this is written by one user only, I've not heard all of them, and I still recommend trying them if you can since you may not enjoy the sound signature (And there's a lot of excellent offerings from other brands).

Elegia: The entry point to Focal's lineup and their closed back lineup. Lacks a bit of bass compared to the others, more mid-centric. Pad-swapping is recommended. Great value.

Elear: The entry point to Focal's open back lineup. Neutral-warm with a slight bass boost. The stock frequency response is a bit wonky though, requires Clear pads to shine. Known for early driver failure because of a bad voice coil design.

Elex: The entry point to Focal's open back lineup if you can buy it from Drop. A cheaper Elear with Clear pads, which gives it a similar frequency response to said Clear, albeit with less dynamics. Known for early driver failure because of a bad voice coil design.

Celestee: Replaces the Elegia. Uses leather pads which gives it more bass. Narrower soundstage, and overall easier to listen to compared to the Elegia.

Radiance: A limited edition collaboration with Bentley. Has the most bass quantity, and the sound signature is closer to Naim speakers.

Clear OG/Clear OG Pro: Following the Elear, is also neutral-warm except with less bass quantity but more dynamic. The frequency response is less wonky. They are well-loved. At their current price, I'd say they're Focal's best offering. Pro variant has a red-black color scheme, coiled cables and extra pads, that's it.

Clear MG/Clear MG Pro: Replaces the Clear OG. Similar tonalily except warmer, which on one hand makes it sound less "metallic", but on the other hand most who've heard both preferred the Clear OG. They are also more expensive since they've been released this year. Pro variant has a red-black color scheme, coiled cables and extra pads, that's it.

And then there's the Stellia and the Utopia, the TOTL summit-fi headphones from Focal. They're extremely expensive.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #10,044 of 12,542
Hello Focal guys,
Do you suggest me getting Clear over Grado SR225 as the next step? I do love Grado sound and later I might get RS1e or RS1x if we'll see soon such update.
I just moved to North America from Europe last month and before coming I sold my Schiit stack (Magni 3 & Modi 3). Right now I have Grado RA-1 Amp and Tempotec Sonata HD Pro for mobile use or as a DAC.
I have a few cheap iems and Koss KSC 75 and SHP9500 from last years.
Well.. I have MrSpeakers Alpha Dog too. I really like their fast drivers and detailed sound and real good soundstage even they're closed back. However, I couldn't reach the desired bass level on them. I'm not a bass head but with such less bass the sound becomes so plain and natural I guess. By the way, I listen to hard rock nearly always. Sometimes metal and classical involve too.
So, what would you say going for Clear next time?

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #10,045 of 12,542
I've tried the Stellia, owned the Clear for a while & now own Elegia, I've also tried the Celestee.

Personally I'd say the Clear & Elegia are very close, Andrew from Headphone Show said 90%, I'd agree tbh. So Elegia could be a great option as they are fantastic & closed, to replace your current phones which are closed I believe? The Clear probably have a slight edge in Detail and soundstage, I dont have them onhand to compare annoyingly so take it with a grain of salt. Focal's goal was to make a closed back clear, pretty much.

Stellia is of course ahead, but the Elegia gets surprisingly close considering the price difference, in detail retrieval at least. Detail on the Elegia is stunning for the price. i'd say Elegia is maybe 65-70% of the Stellia experience, if numbers can be put on such a thing.

The Celestee, for me, is the worst Focal I've tried. The soundstage is like a box, very narrow, and that ruins the experience. it has less detail than Elegia.

I've tried a lot of headphones & I'd say the Elegia & Clear are superb headphones, no doubt about it. As a package I prefer my Elegia though.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #10,046 of 12,542
Hello Focal guys,
Do you suggest me getting Clear over Grado SR225 as the next step? I do love Grado sound and later I might get RS1e or RS1x if we'll see soon such update.
I just moved to North America from Europe last month and before coming I sold my Schiit stack (Magni 3 & Modi 3). Right now I have Grado RA-1 Amp and Tempotec Sonata HD Pro for mobile use or as a DAC.
Well.. I have MrSpeakers Alpha Dog too. I really like their fast drivers and detailed sound and real good soundstage even they're closed back. However, I couldn't reach the desired bass level on them. I'm not a bass head but with such less bass the sound becomes so plain and natural I guess. By the way, I listen to hard rock nearly always. Sometimes metal and classical involve too.
Yes go for the Clear:)
I have never tried a Grado that did bass to my satisfaction…and I am not a basshead either. I do love my subbass though and the Clear is pretty great there. If you want something similar to the Clear..but with better bass quality and subbass extension, then I’d spring for the Sundara instead. You can also EQ the heck out of the Sundara, basswise, unlike the Focals.
Best of luck!

Nov 1, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #10,048 of 12,542
Hello Focal guys,
The original Clear is really good, still one of my favorite headphones, if you are interested in a pair of Clear OG in excellent condition, check my signature :)

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #10,049 of 12,542
The original Clear is really good, still one of my favorite headphones, if you are interested in a pair of Clear OG in excellent condition, check my signature :)

@ondert Agreed. The Clears have been my daily drivers for a while now. Just be mindful with AMP/pairing and you'll be gainfully rewarded! I have tremendous respect for Grado, but think you'll get much greater versatility from the Clear across all listening genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back