Focal Clear headphones
Jun 20, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #7,308 of 12,540
That helped a lot. They are TS (Tip Sleeve) or mono plugs.

I'm CFO by profession, not technician. What does that tell us? What's it good for? Never heard the expressions before. There are two wires going into the driver. The plug looks like there's two wires coming out of it, too. Maybe you can enlighten me on that? I could learn something. :wink:

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #7,309 of 12,540
The Clear plugs are 3.5mm mono.
Some manufactures use 3.5mm stereo short circuited.
This is the only difference, some use the 3.5 stereo plug with the ring and sleeve shorted. I have a number like that from CustomCans and Lqi and they work the same as the 3.5 mono plugs. And I use them in the Clear and the Klipsch.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #7,310 of 12,540
My AK T1p (beyerdynamic made) have the 3.5 mono plugs but because their socket is extra deep the other cables do not work in them. However, their cables work just fine in the Clear and the Klipsch. The Klipsch came with Single ended cables that also have 3.5 mono for the headphone end. And throw the 99 Classic into that whole muddy pond.

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #7,311 of 12,540
Are those connecters TR or TRS? Hard to see in the photo.
Those are TS ... meaning Tip/Shank. TRS means Tip/Ring/Shank. There is no such thing as TR.

Jun 20, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #7,312 of 12,540
My AK T1p (beyerdynamic made) have the 3.5 mono plugs but because their socket is extra deep the other cables do not work in them. However, their cables work just fine in the Clear and the Klipsch. The Klipsch came with Single ended cables that also have 3.5 mono for the headphone end. And throw the 99 Classic into that whole muddy pond.
Yep, ran into that w/ custom cables for T1g2 — deeply recessed sockets which were narrow enough that some plug barrels didn’t fit.

Jun 21, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #7,313 of 12,540
Happy World Music Day!

Attachments

• clear.jpg
    clear.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 21, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #7,314 of 12,540
Hi, posting just to say this one is a fantastic match to Focal Clear, to my ears it’s the perfect balance tonality wise, besides clarity and dynamics. Much recommended
I got it mainly as a DAC/preamp for my home system but as a headphone amp is very good
18B9EB2E-25C8-4323-AB80-3F2899BEB613.jpeg

Jun 21, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #7,315 of 12,540
I think they have set the bar for tight clean low bass not to mention the detail in music but they will reveal a bad recording.

I do. It's a subjective preference, of course, but the timbre and tonality of the Clear is just perfect to me. I wouldn't ever trade that for a slight improvement in the technical aspects of sound.

Now I curious, why specifically, what's missing vs the Clear?

Don't know how to describe scientifically or frequency-wise but my 3-week new Stellia sounds a lot thinner and less musical to my ears when compared with the old Clear Professional. I would even dare say, less resolving, risking ire from all of you who are aware of the fact that Stellia is accepted to be as resolving as Utopia with its beryllium driver. Stellia sounds a bit choked while Clear Professional sounds like nothing is inhibited. And it's not just that open-back vs closed-back feeling. Something a lot more. Clear Pro sounds very organic. Stellia sounds like a distant cry from a damsel in distress. Clear Pro sounds like a pure soul while Stellia sounds like it has has to live with a lot of scars from past. Clear Pro's imaging is real like a hand drawn picture while Stellia's is like a digital approximation that faltered on many levels. Clear Pro sounds like a story telling of a good story as regaled by someone who uses simple but good English vocabulary in short and well-defined sentences while Stellia sounds like a similar story told by someone who uses a lot of French words thrown into his bad-accented English narration that I might have trouble following all the time. Clear Pro sounds like a brother. Stellia sounds like a cousin. (Both used via balanced cables from ADI-2 Pro DAC/Amp.)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #7,317 of 12,540
Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #7,318 of 12,540
Jun 22, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #7,319 of 12,540

Users who are viewing this thread

Back