Focal Clear headphones
Mar 18, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #6,856 of 12,540
Well, the IFI Pro IDSD + Focal Clear is a great combo, when you change stock tubes is even better.

Mar 19, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #6,860 of 12,540
Anyone got any suggestions for aftermarket pads for Clears? I just tried the Fenestrated Sheepskin pads and the sound is a little holographic. The mid bass is bleeding iinto the vocals and it makes the headphone sounds "tinny" and airy. Has anyone tried velour or hybrids?

Any suggestion would be helpful.

Mar 20, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #6,861 of 12,540
Anyone got any suggestions for aftermarket pads for Clears? I just tried the Fenestrated Sheepskin pads and the sound is a little holographic. The mid bass is bleeding iinto the vocals and it makes the headphone sounds "tinny" and airy. Has anyone tried velour or hybrids?

Any suggestion would be helpful.

Elex pads perhaps from drop, maybe not quite good as original if you coming from clear, but i guess its the better cheaper alternative than dekoni imo, at least for my elear

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #6,863 of 12,540
Just a warning for people wanting to clean the Clear pads.

I tried to use Alcantara cleaner as noted here. I was careful not to oversoak them. The cleaning caused major discoloration (they turned the pads dark gray) and also the smell was quite unpleasent.
I then just tried to rinse them with water, but now the pads look a bit rough and the microfibre is not that soft to the skin anymore although the foam inside itself is fine.

Be careful.

Someone mentioned Elex pads here. The Elex pads are bit thinner for some reason and they do not have as much foam inside. I have huge ears and when I use the Clear pads, the headphones are comfortable, but with Elex pads my earlobe touches the inner side of the earphone and it is not as comfortable.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #6,865 of 12,540
Yeah, seems the new batch of Elex pads is smaller in hole diameter and the padding is thinner in comparison to the original Elex pads that come stock with the headphone.

I think the hole size is the same. The difference in size might be an illusion because dark hole on light and dark on dark. But you can definitely see that the clear pads are more full.

IMG_20200322_202810.jpg

Mar 23, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #6,866 of 12,540
I just ordered ear pads from audio advisor as well. I hope they turn out okay. $100 is a much more reasonable price.
Anyone using original Utopia pads with clears?

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #6,867 of 12,540
Beware the photo is very explicit and not for sensitive people to view. I'm not responsible if you eyeballs pop out of their sockets or you go insane after viewing it. You've been warned!

chda3.jpg

Wow! How on earth??? thanks for warning :)
Did you try/clean those pads, how and how many times may I ask?

Thanks

Mar 25, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #6,868 of 12,540
Beware the photo is very explicit and not for sensitive people to view. I'm not responsible if you eyeballs pop out of their sockets or you go insane after viewing it. You've been warned!

chda3.jpg
Oof. Mine aren't quite as bad but the material is fraying as well.
These are indeed extremely sensitive to friction, I made the mistake of gently rubbing them against each other when washing them.
Also, the red ones bleed color like crazy. One needs to take great care when washing them.

Xy90O4u.jpg

The foam inside is pretty good though. After a year and a wash, the pads are still nicely firm.

Mar 26, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #6,869 of 12,540
I dont get some people. A modern washing machine is able to clean the most expensive Kashmir wool pullovers, they have special cleaning cycles for sensitive stuff (I use it on my pads with no harm) and here you have people rubbing these pads while washing the pads by hand in a tub.
Better ask your wives next time.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #6,870 of 12,540
I dont get some people. A modern washing machine is anbe to clean the most expensive Kashmir wool pullovers, they have special cleaning cycles for sensitive stuff (I use it on my pads with no harm) and here you have people rubbing these pads while washing the pads by hand in a tub.
Better ask your wives next time.
That may work for the grey ones but as I said: the red ones bleed color like crazy. Tossing it in with other sensitive laundry is not advisable.
I am not going to let my machine (which has such programs) run on 2 headphone pads alone. What a waste of resources. Oo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back