Focal Clear headphones
Mar 17, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #6,841 of 12,542
Bloom Audio was selling these for $99 for awhile and then Focal raised the price and they sold for $149....they indicate they will have some in as well, but exactly when is in question...

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #6,845 of 12,542
Well have we struck a nerve here???
Let me ask again...what about the fabric quality do you not like????

Inquiring minds want to know?

I dont think all people are buying third party pads for Focal Clears, most of us just have a hard time spending $200 on the stock pads which I and many others like very much, the fit, feel and comfort and mostly the sonic attributes...most third party pads seem to change the freq response...

Some use a cleaner, I do not recommend that, tried that and made the grey color go even more dark....and some use woolite and seem to work ok?

The one thing I do not like about the orignal grey pads is their dis-coloring over time. Other than the price and this they are just fine IMO.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #6,846 of 12,542
I can’t answer for him, but I in particular don’t like the discoloration. Also, I feel like since I got them, the pad material has started to feel “greasier” over time. That might just be an incorrect subjective opinion though.

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #6,847 of 12,542
Interesting on the "greasier" comment. Typical with memory foam products foam in a room lower than body temperature will feel cool and somewhat greasier subjectively IMO and this goes away after they warm up to your head temp!!

I wash mine in low detergent soap , mild water and soap solution and do this a few time and rinse...let dry for several hours and they look clean, smell nice and still have that feel you describe...I do this every other month.

Alex

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #6,848 of 12,542
I have no problem with the quality of the pads. After almost 3 months mine are perfect with no wear. I listen every day for at least 3 to 4 hours when I get home from work. I have the pros so I have a spare set and if new ones cost me $200 I'm ok with that. I've rolled so many pads with previous cans and these are by far some of the best built pads I've put on my head. They're extremely comfortable and so far seem to be holding up well.
For example my HD800 I felt needed pads after around 2 months. After I bought a new pair it was pretty apparent that they had compressed significantly compared to the new ones.
The pads imo on the Clears are fantastic!

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #6,849 of 12,542
Thanks for the tip.
Interesting on the "greasier" comment. Typical with memory foam products foam in a room lower than body temperature will feel cool and somewhat greasier subjectively IMO and this goes away after they warm up to your head temp!!

I wash mine in low detergent soap , mild water and soap solution and do this a few time and rinse...let dry for several hours and they look clean, smell nice and still have that feel you describe...I do this every other month.

Alex

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #6,850 of 12,542
I did wash them with dish soap and let them dry for three days. I initially thought I had cleared the issue, but the feeling of them being (maybe ”wet”, “damp”, or “oily”, is a better description?) persists. They feel like a warm sweater, and maybe that’s what they are supposed to feel like. Personally, I wish they felt like memory foam but cold like aluminum when I have them on. I wish such a material exists. I also can’t stand my pillow warming up and keep flipping it throughout the night. It really may only be my own issue.

Mar 18, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #6,851 of 12,542
Discoloration is more due abrasion and the fibers being pressed together. My main dissatisfaction however is with the heavy linting that occurs no matter how delicately one tries to clean them. The confort and the sound doesn't seem to be affected, but still it's not something one would expect from a $1500 headphone.

Mar 18, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #6,852 of 12,542
Thats interesting...I just looked at mine several months old and see no linting??

Would you take a pix and post?

Mine started to slighly discolor and I bought a can of alcantara cleaner, a German brand Sonax? And tried it, per their instructions and it turned the light grey color to a darker shade, not too my liking.

Other than that they are just fine here....and hoping the pads from AudioAdvisor are the real thing, and I did call and they did state they are indeed genuine Focal earpads.

Alex

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #6,853 of 12,542
Beware the photo is very explicit and not for sensitive people to view. I'm not responsible if you eyeballs pop out of their sockets or you go insane after viewing it. You've been warned!

chda3.jpg

Mar 18, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #6,855 of 12,542
Wow
I can now understand why your upset...they look like crap....

Mine are not at all like that: Smooth but not like yours, the color on mine is indeed darker than the light grey when they were new...

WP_20200318_17_03_26_Pro[15155].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back