Focal Clear headphones
Nov 25, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #6,425 of 12,501
Ok great, thanks! Can anyone give me a cheat sheet / shortcut on the Focal Clear versus the Focal Elex? I've had bad experience with Drop quality control. So was going to go straight for the Clear. But wasn't sure what I'm getting stepping up. I'm upgrading from a Sennheiser HD6XX as I they are too veiled for me in dedicated listening sessions.

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #6,426 of 12,501
Well the Clear goes for $1000USD new, shipped. Just need to lurk the distributors for the right time when they go on sale again, like this last September. Used, I would say even lower than $800USD with the incoming sales.

I found them to be really great all rounders, no veil, great tonality, gobs of resolution. What most impresses me right now is how nicely they separates instruments/sounds, in all dimensions. I can't really say that the hd800 have more transparent imaging. Although it's like comparing apples and oranges. Different presentation, different sound.

Coming from my all time, all rounder favorite, the hd650. Clear, at ~$1k, are an upgrade worth every penny, especially if you listen to all kinds of music genres.

So basically the Clear replace the hd650, as being all rounders, in between the LCD and hd800 sound, with satisfactory level of sound proprieties that those two headphones are the masters of.

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #6,427 of 12,501
I'd echo what roskodan says above particularly about their comparison to the Sennsheiser HD 650. They are a definite upgrade. As for the HD800, it's been a long time since I've owned this pair of phones, but I would be willing to say the Clear beats it in imagery and detail, though the HD800 wins in soundstage.

Nov 25, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #6,428 of 12,501
I'd echo what roskodan says above particularly about their comparison to the Sennsheiser HD 650. They are a definite upgrade. As for the HD800, it's been a long time since I've owned this pair of phones, but I would be willing to say the Clear beats it in imagery and detail, though the HD800 wins in soundstage.
I own both- 800 wins handily in detail retrieval and soundstage width. Clear has weightier bass and a more relaxed presentation overall, plus better soundstage depth (at least on my setup). Clear is certainly more well-rounded, but little can trade shots with HD800 for classical or live recordings.

Nov 25, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #6,429 of 12,501
I own both- 800 wins handily in detail retrieval and soundstage width. Clear has weightier bass and a more relaxed presentation overall, plus better soundstage depth (at least on my setup). Clear is certainly more well-rounded, but little can trade shots with HD800 for classical or live recordings.

Agree regarding soundstage width (and overall size), but disagree regarding detail retrieval.

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #6,430 of 12,501
Agree regarding soundstage width (and overall size), but disagree regarding detail retrieval.

Yep...same here. Sold my HD800. For me, Clear's a better overall listen and way more 'shuffle' friendly! :)

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #6,433 of 12,501
Anyone of Clear users got anoyed over time by them?
I put them back on my head first time in this month and they are shouty and fatigue to listen...
Two days in a row i get same feeling...
I got Dennon D9200 on loan from my friend and they was much brighter but lest shouty than Clear.

Nov 28, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #6,435 of 12,501
Anyone of Clear users got anoyed over time by them?
I put them back on my head first time in this month and they are shouty and fatigue to listen...
Two days in a row i get same feeling...
I got Dennon D9200 on loan from my friend and they was much brighter but lest shouty than Clear.
Not yet for me , I’m still in the honeymoon phase but I dislike colour of the pads .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back