Focal Clear headphones
Jan 5, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #5,191 of 12,500
Picked up a black case for my SR15 today, while I was there I tried the Focal Utopia cans....definitely different to the Clear Pro;s...I would say a slightly thicker low end and a little more high end...worth the upgrade is price ?....not for me at the moment.

But...I also checked out the AK SE100...the bigger screen is a plus for sure .

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #5,192 of 12,500
Hi folks, I'm searching for cables for the Focal Clear - either the stock cables or aftermarket cables. I ended up buying the Clear Professional headphones because of the color and because I thought the cables would work best for my needs, but the stock regular cable is short and the coiled cable is tight - both are pulling on the phones or on the amp.

The other day I ran across a cable that looked beautiful, was helix woven and I though it was from Cardas, but I can't find it on their site. What other cables might you suggest? I keep running across a pair from Moon Audio. I'd also be fine with the stock Clear cables, but can't seem to find them anywhere online.

BTW I LOVE the Clear Professionals!!! I'm using them with the Ruper Neve Designs RNHP headphone amp and the pair is delightful. I'm currently using them with a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, but I plan to switch over the my Resolution Audio Cantata DAC when I get the right cables, so the system can run both speakers and headphone amp.

TIA!
Most aftermarket cable makers can make a cable for the Clears, as they use simple 3.5mm mono plugs. Personally I use a hybrid copper/silver cable from Forza Audioworks which I like a lot, very good looking, flexible lightwheight etc.
There are many other good cable makers aswell such as effect audio, double helix cables etc.
The stock cable should be available to buy from Focal (and maybe even from resellers), if that’s what you want I would just send them an email. But imo the stock cable is a bit stiff and thick which is why I went with the Forza one

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #5,193 of 12,500
What he posts there involves two categories: (1) Promises to post reviews; (2) press releases.

Inner Fidelity has become useless to me. When Tyll ran the website, I learned about headphones and the meaning of headphone measurements. I learned about several headphones that I've bought and liked (including Clears).

Since Rafe took over, I've learned about what Rafe likes and what manufacturers are selling--and that's all. Everything else--reviews, new measurement apparatus--that's all promises, promises.

Brilliant! I think you cracked Rafe's code.

This week we had one Promise to review:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/quad-pa-one-headphone-amplifier-and-preamplifier-sneak-peek

Followed up quickly by one press release:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...d-app-calibrating-nearly-300-headphone-models

Either that or Rafe reads the Focal Clear thread regularly and he is just trolling us.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #5,194 of 12,500
Most aftermarket cable makers can make a cable for the Clears, as they use simple 3.5mm mono plugs. Personally I use a hybrid copper/silver cable from Forza Audioworks which I like a lot, very good looking, flexible lightwheight etc.
There are many other good cable makers aswell such as effect audio, double helix cables etc.
The stock cable should be available to buy from Focal (and maybe even from resellers), if that’s what you want I would just send them an email. But imo the stock cable is a bit stiff and thick which is why I went with the Forza one

I've heard that elsewhere about the Clear cable, that it's stiff. I'll look around he alternatives.

BTW I switched out the Schiit for the Resolution Audio and holy cow it's a fantastic combo! I honestly don't think I could improve on it.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #5,195 of 12,500
Hi there, my clear has some 'clicky' sound on the right channel when I plug in an aftermarket cable(wywires red), but don't have that click sound for the stock cable, does anyone also has this problem?
Thanks

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #5,196 of 12,500
Wholly cr@p, does my headband creek. I bought them off another Headfier and he never mentioned it. Kinda messed up but it is what it is. It wouldn’t be that big of a deal but it’s really really bad.

Does anyone have any magic potion to alleviate the issue? I’d be most humbled and appreciative if there’s a solution “other then” sending them back.

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #5,197 of 12,500
Hi there, my clear has some 'clicky' sound on the right channel when I plug in an aftermarket cable(wywires red), but don't have that click sound for the stock cable, does anyone also has this problem?
Thanks
Have you tried swapping round the cables and seeing if the same thing happens on the left side? Just tested a similar Wywires cable to a Clear and wasn't hearing any clicking myself.
Wholly cr@p, does my headband creek. I bought them off another Headfier and he never mentioned it. Kinda messed up but it is what it is. It wouldn’t be that big of a deal but it’s really really bad.

Does anyone have any magic potion to alleviate the issue? I’d be most humbled and appreciative if there’s a solution “other then” sending them back.
If the creeking is really bad, there may an issue within the headband and that would likely need to sent in unfortunately. The headband on the Focal headphones are pretty complex and Focal has warned our guys to not try to go in as it cause more issues than solve.

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #5,198 of 12,500
Have you tried swapping round the cables and seeing if the same thing happens on the left side? Just tested a similar Wywires cable to a Clear and wasn't hearing any clicking myself.

If the creeking is really bad, there may an issue within the headband and that would likely need to sent in unfortunately. The headband on the Focal headphones are pretty complex and Focal has warned our guys to not try to go in as it cause more issues than solve.
Thanks! left side is ok, right side is very 'clicky', I will try to swap another cable tonight to test it tonight.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #5,199 of 12,500
Listening to my Clears on my Mojo for the first time since I got them and discovered a considerable difference in the bass compared to the Loxjie P20 I've been listening to them on for the past couple weeks. On the P20 the bass is really robust and kind of surrounds. It's deep and but not muddy. It's exactly where I love it. So started listening on my Mojo tonight and immediately noticed a lack of the same kind of bass power on several songs I'd come to expect it. So just did a quick little comparison and the Mojo most definitely recesses the bass a bit and pulls it back. I also noticed that treble is a little more forward on it as well. I love the Mojo, especially on my office system where it lives most of the time, but somewhat surprised as the sound signature I'm getting with the Clears. Not bad, per se, but certainly more apparent difference that I wasn't expecting.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #5,200 of 12,500
I'm not a fan of Chord dacs. I had Hugo, it was really really bright. I had Mojo, which was kind of neutral and ok, but like you I found it weak in the lows. iFi Micro iDSD was far better in terms of low end. I'm intrigued by that Loxjie amp you mentioned. Would you recommend it? I like impactful and deep bass.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #5,202 of 12,500
I'm not a fan of Chord dacs. I had Hugo, it was really really bright. I had Mojo, which was kind of neutral and ok, but like you I found it weak in the lows. iFi Micro iDSD was far better in terms of low end. I'm intrigued by that Loxjie amp you mentioned. Would you recommend it? I like impactful and deep bass.
I very much wholeheartedly recommend it. For the price it's just ridiculous. I gave a little more of a review a few posts back.

I do love the coloration I get from the Mojo. And it does sound great on my office setup with my Kef Q300's, but they definitely are bright on the clears. I tried an iDSD Nano BL before I bought the Mojo and though I only tried them with my Senn HD650's and HE-4xx's, I can definitely say they had more bass impact as well. And I did love the sound signature of those as well. I was very tempted to try out the Micro and, I don't know, I may still? Now I'm just super curious about what it would sound like with the Clear. Though, to be fair, I don't really intend to use the Clear with the Mojo that much.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #5,203 of 12,500
I’ve got the mojo paired with my Clears. Got a pretty bonus this year, and I’m thinking of upgrading to a Chord Qutest and Cavalli (monoprice) Liquid Platinum. Thoughts?

I'm saving up to get a Liquid Platinum to be my main driver for these headphones. From everything I've read they seem to be a perfect pairing, though I'd love it if more people who use both could detail more of their impressions. I'm very curious about how they sound with the Clears.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #5,204 of 12,500
I very much wholeheartedly recommend it. For the price it's just ridiculous. I gave a little more of a review a few posts back.

I do love the coloration I get from the Mojo. And it does sound great on my office setup with my Kef Q300's, but they definitely are bright on the clears. I tried an iDSD Nano BL before I bought the Mojo and though I only tried them with my Senn HD650's and HE-4xx's, I can definitely say they had more bass impact as well. And I did love the sound signature of those as well. I was very tempted to try out the Micro and, I don't know, I may still? Now I'm just super curious about what it would sound like with the Clear. Though, to be fair, I don't really intend to use the Clear with the Mojo that much.

It's great with everything I tried, it sounds both analog and a bit aggressive. The dac inside is quite good as well, one of those older analog sounding dac chips.

I've also heard good things about Arcam R Head amp. Everyone says it sounds very natural, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #5,205 of 12,500

Thanks for the response. Looks like a call to Focal is in order to see if it's worth it (cost) to send in for repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back