Focal Clear headphones
Sep 12, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #4,471 of 12,542
I bought the Hugo 2 because I thought it sounded better than the Mojo when I initially compared them, and then for months thereafter. But when I introduced controls into my comparison and used a switchbox so that I could switch quickly between them, all of the sound differences I had previously perceived disappeared. The Mojo wasn't warmer, the Hugo 2 didn't have more clarity, etc. It was a shocking result, but it is what it is. I can't rule out the possibility that there could be subtle sound differences between them which aren't apparent from my comparisons, but I think any such differences are a lot smaller than the differences between headphones. I'll send you a PM linking a thread where I discuss this in more detail.

In general, it's very easy for us to misperceive differences between gear, especially when we know what gear we're listening to (that creates "expectation bias"), don't match music segments and volumes, and allow several seconds or more of time gap when comparing gear (research shows that expectation bias only needs a few seconds to kick in). And we don't generally know or believe that we're misperceiving, because our processing of perception largely occurs at a subconscious level which is hidden from us. A good general read on this topic is the book Subliminal by Leonard Mlodinow.
That book does sound interesting, and expectation bias is definitely a real thing.

However I think we can reasonably assume (as in without actually hearing them) that a small portable dac/amp with a hybrid multibit dac engine will sound very different to a current mode desktop amp with a delta sigma dac chip, wouldn’t you say?

In which case a fairly transparent headphone like the Clear should reflect said differences quite notably.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #4,472 of 12,542
That book does sound interesting, and expectation bias is definitely a real thing.

However I think we can reasonably assume (as in without actually hearing them) that a small portable dac/amp with a hybrid multibit dac engine will sound very different to a current mode desktop amp with a delta sigma dac chip, wouldn’t you say?

In which case a fairly transparent headphone like the Clear should reflect said differences quite notably.

I think it's best to separate DACs and amps in this type of evaluation, though of course they're often packaged together.

In principal, DACs could certainly sound different, due to differences in algorithms, though I suspect that any such differences will be small.

I personally prefer to stick with solid state amps with sufficient power, and I expect them to all sound essentially the same if they're designed well. When you get into tube amps and issues of impedance, etc., I can see them having noticeable sound differences, but I have no experience with tube amps for headphones (only guitar amps).

I'll send you a link to that Hugo 2 thread also, you may find it interesting.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #4,473 of 12,542
I personally prefer to stick with solid state amps with sufficient power, and I expect them to all sound essentially the same if they're designed well.

There's more involved than just SS vs tube, as there are many different design approaches to SS amps. That's why a current mode (feedback) amp will sound different than a voltage mode (feedback) amp.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #4,474 of 12,542
There's more involved than just SS vs tube, as there are many different design approaches to SS amps. That's why a current mode (feedback) amp will sound different than a voltage mode (feedback) amp.

Understood, and agreed that, in principle, they could sound different. But the question is whether they actually sound different, and how we can reliably determine that.

My prior experience with casual uncontrolled listening comparisons definitely caused me to misperceive differences, without my being aware of it, and made me realize how unreliable such comparisons can be. Getting firsthand experience with controlled comparisons can be very revealing (and disconcerting).

I think it's also important to note that, when we perceive differences between gear which are objectively the same, there *are* real differences in our brains, as shown by brain imaging. It's just that those differences are due to how our perception is operating (especially how we direct our attention), rather than differences in the physical sound reaching our ears.

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #4,475 of 12,542
So i have listened to 3 x different Focal Clear Headphones with 3 x different Questyle CMA600i’s.

1. London Canjam Dealer stand.
Focal Clear with its 6.5mm jack cable to Questyle CMA600i. Source via Moon Audio NAS player - Tidal HIFI.
[25 minutes listening].

2. London Canjam Focal stand.
Focal Clear to Questyle CMA600i. Can’t remember the source transport.
[20 minutes listening].

3. Hi Fi Dealer.
Focal Clear with it’s 6.5mm jack cable to Questyle CMA600i. Source PC with Roon/Tidal HI FI.
[4.5 hour listening session comparing other headphones].

On all of the above I loved the sound. Really amazing. Totally satisfied.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #4,476 of 12,542
Last night I started burning in my new Focal Clear Headphones. So I did listen to them before this for 1hour via my Chord Mojo and they sounded very flat, not very dynamic compared to other Focal Clear I listened to.

I have seen on this thread that recommendations have been made from 100 to 200+ burn in.

I really hope they do change quickly. I leave them running in continuously at very low volume playing Han Zimmer movie soundtracks.

Definitely a significant change after break in. Way more dimensional and the top end is totally different.

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #4,477 of 12,542
I'm going to refer back to my RME experience where everybody told me how fantastic it was. It wasn't. In regards to "portable" DAC/AMP's in the same price range, nearly all reviews chose the Black Label over the Mojo. Kind of made sense since the ifi DAC/AMP came out after many portables and had something to base the engineering on/against. The Mojo was one of the first in that market, but then the QP1R was released. But the QP can't drive the Clears with proper authority. However...You can't put the BL in your pocket...lol.

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #4,478 of 12,542
3. Hi Fi Dealer.
Focal Clear with it’s 6.5mm jack cable to Questyle CMA600i. Source PC with Roon/Tidal HI FI.
[4.5 hour listening session comparing other headphones].

On all of the above I loved the sound. Really amazing. Totally satisfied.

I would have hands down went with the Questyle CMA600i if I had the funds for it. Sweetwater had a promo going on and I tried the RME 2 DAC, which was lackluster with the Clear's.

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #4,479 of 12,542
Greetings to all. My 1st post & would like to start here as a recent new owner of the Focal Clear. I am very impressed with the investment. Love the unique sound & stage signature. The balance is SO nice.
I am running it through the Fostex HP-A4B which is, IMO, a stunning match for this headphone. I'm looking forward to becoming more familiar with the performance of the pairing.
Haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread as yet & apologize if this has been addressed previously : Does any of you have experience with pure silver litz headphone cable? I'm sure you guys are aware of the controversial subject of interconnects & speaker wire & electric guitar cable etc.
Secondly: Anyone tried cleaning the pads or headband yet?
Thanks in advance for any insight.
B.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #4,481 of 12,542
Greetings to all. My 1st post & would like to start here as a recent new owner of the Focal Clear. I am very impressed with the investment. Love the unique sound & stage signature. The balance is SO nice.
I am running it through the Fostex HP-A4B which is, IMO, a stunning match for this headphone. I'm looking forward to becoming more familiar with the performance of the pairing.
Haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread as yet & apologize if this has been addressed previously : Does any of you have experience with pure silver litz headphone cable? I'm sure you guys are aware of the controversial subject of interconnects & speaker wire & electric guitar cable etc.
Secondly: Anyone tried cleaning the pads or headband yet?
Thanks in advance for any insight.
B.

I actually ordered a cable a while back from norne audio and i will probably recieve this cable in 1- 2 weeks.
The cable i'll recieve is an occ litz pure silver 4 wire 20awg cable called the silvergarde s3.

I will test this cable with my focal clear when it arrives and will report back.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #4,482 of 12,542
"FWIW, I bet a lot of these "creaking" complaints could be taken care of with a quick shot of a dry teflon spray lube. Stuff works great, sprays slightly wet and dries pretty quick to form a thin film of teflon on the surfaces."

Mine wasn’t “creaking” that bad but it was enough to get me to pay attention and I must say I love this community for gem of a sharing like the above. So I bought one to try..

26ED445C-9583-40F7-804A-19A05E8C959B.jpeg

Now... creaking? What creaking?

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #4,483 of 12,542
I actually ordered a cable a while back from norne audio and i will probably recieve this cable in 1- 2 weeks.
The cable i'll recieve is an occ litz pure silver 4 wire 20awg cable called the silvergarde s3.

I will test this cable with my focal clear when it arrives and will report back.
Thanks for that. One point re. this. The Focal has special cable connectors ( mated locking with the capsule jacks ) & hope you've ordered appropriately.
B.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #4,485 of 12,542
Last night I started burning in my new Focal Clear Headphones. So I did listen to them before this for 1hour via my Chord Mojo and they sounded very flat, not very dynamic compared to other Focal Clear I listened to.

I have seen on this thread that recommendations have been made from 100 to 200+ burn in.

I really hope they do change quickly. I leave them running in continuously at very low volume playing Han Zimmer movie soundtracks.

It is best to burn in your dynamic cans at a reasonable SPL otherwise you're only going to burn in the connections / wiring, etc and not so much the drivers. Just like with dynamic speakers, they need to be burned in at a decent SPL or you're wasting the opportunity to exercise the drivers (which is an important part of the burn-in process for a dynamic headphone).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back