Focal Clear headphones
Jul 30, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #4,186 of 12,542
There are some measurements of some of the Dekoni pads done with the Utopia posted elsewhere. Google "Focal Utopia Pad Rolling." Not all of them were tested but the ones that were changed the sound quite a lot, to the point that I'd rather use the OEM ones, if possible. Still, I'll grab a few myself and try them out soon enough.
That makes sense given the original Utopia pads are fenestrated. You should PM @DekoniAudio if you have specific pairing questions - they tend to be very responsive.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #4,187 of 12,542
What? Did somebody say @DekoniAudio?

Dekoni sells Clear compatible pads. I use the leather fenstrated ones and quite like them.

I think they are currently available for a discount on Massdrop.
Not to derail Focal’s thread, PM us for details!

That makes sense given the original Utopia pads are fenestrated. You should PM @DekoniAudio if you have specific pairing questions - they tend to be very responsive.

We’re a small but dedicated team... thanks for the nice words!
We do want to help answer your questions, and are reading as much as we can... but feel free to PM us or ask a question on one of our threads, or social media channels.

Dekoni Audio Stay updated on Dekoni Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dekoni Audio @dekoniaudio http://www.dekoniaudio.com sales@dekoniaudio.com
Aug 6, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #4,188 of 12,542
I've developed some GAS recently and I'm torn between a CMA600i-S and the RME ADI-2 DAC. I've done enough research to support being completely content with the RME ADI-2 DAC vs the RME ADI-2 Pro. Don't need the added inputs, balanced out. Though it wasn't until just now that I realized that there is only $100 difference...

:open_mouth:

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #4,189 of 12,542
I've developed some GAS recently and I'm torn between a CMA600i-S and the RME ADI-2 DAC. I've done enough research to support being completely content with the RME ADI-2 DAC vs the RME ADI-2 Pro. Don't need the added inputs, balanced out. Though it wasn't until just now that I realized that there is only $100 difference...

:open_mouth:
From what I’ve read, I think I’d go with the RME. Afaik it’s more marketed towards pros, but that it sounds very good aswell. Haven’t heard either sadly, would really like to test the RME

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #4,190 of 12,542
From what I’ve read, I think I’d go with the RME. Afaik it’s more marketed towards pros, but that it sounds very good aswell. Haven’t heard either sadly, would really like to test the RME
I've done a lot of reading since first learning about RME in this thread. Everything about the 2 DAC was geared toward audiophiles and the reviews have supported that the design has accomplished that very well. I was completely wrong about the price difference though. The Pro is around $900 more than the DAC, though I've seen Demos and B-Stock at lower prices.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #4,191 of 12,542
I've done a lot of reading since first learning about RME in this thread. Everything about the 2 DAC was geared toward audiophiles and the reviews have supported that the design has accomplished that very well. I was completely wrong about the price difference though. The Pro is around $900 more than the DAC, though I've seen Demos and B-Stock at lower prices.
900?! It should be around 600 or less even. And yes the either the DAC or Pro are great with the Clear, used it both balanced and unbalanced on the Pro, sounded excellent all-around and can keep up just fine with the Clear.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #4,192 of 12,542
900?! It should be around 600 or less even. And yes the either the DAC or Pro are great with the Clear, used it both balanced and unbalanced on the Pro, sounded excellent all-around and can keep up just fine with the Clear.
I do have one major consideration on the upgrade from what I'm running at the moment. Would I notice a significant difference between the RME and the iFi Black Label I'm using now? Not a lot of people have even listened to the ifi micro iDSD BL and blindly just go straight to Chord (with good reason). The portable ifi is a beast.

LATE EDIT: Screw my concerns...I just pulled the trigger on the RME. It's kind of a simple decision looking at B4B. I can compare the 2 DAC to the ifi BL side by side. If the ifi BL can hold its own against the RME, that's saying a lot about the portable ifi. To sweeten the deal...I just received a call while I was typing, that the RME ADI - 2 DAC is shipping TODAY!!! I've gotta go take a cold shower...lol

:upside_down: :open_mouth: :grin:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #4,193 of 12,542
I do have one major consideration on the upgrade from what I'm running at the moment. Would I notice a significant difference between the RME and the iFi Black Label I'm using now? Not a lot of people have even listened to the ifi micro iDSD BL and blindly just go straight to Chord (with good reason). The portable ifi is a beast.

LATE EDIT: Screw my concerns...I just pulled the trigger on the RME. It's kind of a simple decision looking at B4B. I can compare the 2 DAC to the ifi BL side by side. If the ifi BL can hold its own against the RME, that's saying a lot about the portable ifi. To sweeten the deal...I just received a call while I was typing, that the RME ADI - 2 DAC is shipping TODAY!!! I've gotta go take a cold shower...lol

Good on you friend, you won't regret it the amount of fun options and tweaks is astonishing on the device! I never saw comparisons with the iFi Black Label, but I heard the ADI-2 DAC goes toe to toe with the iFi iCan Pro depending on the headphone in question which is in quite another (price) division.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #4,194 of 12,542
Good on you friend, you won't regret it the amount of fun options and tweaks is astonishing on the device! I never saw comparisons with the iFi Black Label, but I heard the ADI-2 DAC goes toe to toe with the iFi iCan Pro depending on the headphone in question which is in quite another (price) division.
I like that it's got separate 1/4" and 1/8" jacks. So I can just plug in my IEM's (Why would I if I have the Clear's) without needing an adapter. Thanks for the feedback to help with the decision. I've heard it said that "When somebody asks for your opinion, they're really just looking for someone that agrees with the decision that they've already made"...LOL

Aug 6, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #4,195 of 12,542

Hi kino lau,

You made the right choice :).
I don't own the Black Label, but the regular ifi iDSD micro ( would be inferior to the BL) and the
iFi iCAN PRO ( superior to the BL ) : my RME ADI-2 PRO is clearly better re. background noise ( I listen at very low volume), level of details , dynamics and drum attacks with the Clear (and even much more so with the Utopia)

Wishing you a lot of pleasure with your incoming RME,
(don't forget to try out different DAC filter settingsI!)
bidn

Aug 6, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #4,196 of 12,542
Hi kino lau,

You made the right choice :).
I don't own the Black Label, but the regular ifi iDSD micro ( would be inferior to the BL) and the
iFi iCAN PRO ( superior to the BL ) : my RME ADI-2 PRO is clearly better re. background noise ( I listen at very low volume), level of details , dynamics and drum attacks with the Clear (and even much more so with the Utopia)

Wishing you a lot of pleasure with your incoming RME,
(don't forget to try out different DAC filter settingsI!)
bidn
Thanks! Initial ship dates were around mid/end August and I wasn't going to buy because grad school starts back up 8/27. New gear at the same time school starts...something wouldn't get the necessary attention and it would more than likely my classes. I'm 56 years old and working on my Master of Social Work (MSW). I don't need any more distractions besides my 20 - 30 yr old classmates...lol

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #4,197 of 12,542
Just Equalizer APO at the moment. It's free and works well and is system-wide. If there's a better system-wide plugin I'm all ears.

I suggest you use DMG Equilibrium. It is of very high quality. I was using DMG Equality (30 days trial) before. Both came from the same company, so I thought they should be similar. I was wrong. In terms of clarity and transparency, DMG Equilibrium is just better, at least one or two step up from DMG Equality. I am truly impressed.
I finally convinced myself that I must use high quality EQ software to do this correctly.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #4,199 of 12,542
So does the ananda compete with the Clears?
Really been waiting on more reviews of the Ananda as well.
Looking at clears Ananda or hifiman hex v2? On the fence but leaning towards a planar HP since Focals are suppose to have a completely different sound from dynamics and planers and it is a big financial risk to go with focal vs Anandas since I already love the 4XX and 500’s for the price but glad I held back on the sundaras in case the Anandas actually are good bang for the buck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back