Focal Clear headphones
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #3,406 of 12,540
Just listened on my entirely different equipment to make sure it is what I thought it was, and know exactly what you're talking about in the first track. It's 100% in the recording and is caused by too much spit behind the reed. I played clarinet for about 10 years, so I'm intimately familiar with that sound and I transcribed the bass line of the tune in college, so I'm intimately familiar with the track. The perfect storm.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #3,407 of 12,540
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask a question about a recording. I finally picked up Miles Davis Kind of Blue in HD. Does anybody hear a short scratchiness or raspiness out of the sax in the right channel following the piano/bass intro of So What? There was also raspiness detected in the left channel during the second track as well. This is my first time listening to the album so I was simply wondering if it's in the recording. Otherwise, the sound with the Clears is phenomenal. Jazz in an entirely new genre for me to be listening to.

Yeah, it's in the recording. For such a highly acclaimed album, I was shocked when I discovered this.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #3,408 of 12,540
Yeah, it's in the recording. For such a highly acclaimed album, I was shocked when I discovered this.

I mean, what are they going to do? Re-do the take? Make sure everyone clears out the condensation from their instruments before every take? Punch in Cannonball's hits? What's next? Punching in on flubbed notes? Jazz isn't always perfect, but sometimes "perfect" can be a little too sterile.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,409 of 12,540
Got my Clear for one month now, each day i am more and more happy with the sound, soundstage seems to get larger, bass bigger and high glassier, all of this proving brain burn-in is real!

:)

I'm looking to get a better, or maybe only different sound from it. Next step is changing the HP amplifier.
My DAC/amp is Massdrop x Grace Design m9XX, and while i'm happy with it, i am having g.a.s. and thinking of getting a tube amplifier, while still using the DAC section of the M9xx.
Anybody have tried the Clear with DarkVoice 336SE OTL, or any other tube amp?
At 55 Ohms, Is Clear considered high impedance enough to be a good match to tube headphones amp?

I just got the Woo WA7 tube amp (6C45 Russian tubes). Since they came out with a newer version, they have the 1st generation WA7 amp on sale (while they last). I'm quite pleased with the sound signature. Just a tad smoother, but not too much "tubiness". At 55 ohms, I've been using the 1/4" jack. But the WA7 does have a seperate 3.5mm jack for lower impedance IEM's. I've tried both. The 1/4" jack drives the Clears better.

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #3,410 of 12,540
Just listened on my entirely different equipment to make sure it is what I thought it was, and know exactly what you're talking about in the first track. It's 100% in the recording and is caused by too much spit behind the reed. I played clarinet for about 10 years, so I'm intimately familiar with that sound and I transcribed the bass line of the tune in college, so I'm intimately familiar with the track. The perfect storm.

I'm glad to read that everybody hears it. I was going to listen with my living room system but wasn't motivated enough to put the file on a DAP this morning or move my laptop. The album was released in 1959 so I'm thrilled that it sounds as great as it does.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #3,412 of 12,540
I'm glad to read that everybody hears it. I was going to listen with my living room system but wasn't motivated enough to put the file on a DAP this morning or move my laptop. The album was released in 1959 so I'm thrilled that it sounds as great as it does.

Yes, it sounds great, often used as a reference album for equipment tests. And not surprisingly, you'll find many many excellent recording from the 60s and older days ... you know, before loudness wars. @TSAVAlan, most probably you're not leveling up your hears, weird enough that 40 years later I'm listening many classics with greater accuracy than people at time... a bit like the Higgs boson they knew existed but only many years after could be spotted
:thinking:

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #3,413 of 12,540
Yes, it sounds great, often used as a reference album for equipment tests. And not surprisingly, you'll find many many excellent recording from the 60s and older days ... you know, before loudness wars. @TSAVAlan, most probably you're not leveling up your hears, weird enough that 40 years later I'm listening many classics with greater accuracy than people at time... a bit like the Higgs boson they knew existed but only many years after could be spotted
:thinking:

Hey no picking on my employee @TSAVAlan. His ears look totally level to me :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 26, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #3,414 of 12,540
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask a question about a recording. I finally picked up Miles Davis Kind of Blue in HD. Does anybody hear a short scratchiness or raspiness out of the sax in the right channel following the piano/bass intro of So What? There was also raspiness detected in the left channel during the second track as well. This is my first time listening to the album so I was simply wondering if it's in the recording. Otherwise, the sound with the Clears is phenomenal. Jazz in an entirely new genre for me to be listening to.

I personally think the Clear is their best headphone at a realistic price. All their headphones are good but the Clear is really good.

Sorry I should have added “for the money”

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 26, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #3,415 of 12,540
Sometimes weird to hear a song that I have heard like probably a million times and picking up new things. Wonder sometimes if I am going crazy or just I am leveling up my hearing skills!
Isn’t that fascinating? Something else I find neat is how my listening skills and tastes have improved since I first started in the hobby till now. I think that’s why some people sell headphones and then years later want to buy them again...

@kino lau you know I did the same thing you did, except it was the Utopia that got me into listening to classical music!

You know got something special when the headphone makes you more engaged by genres you aren’t used to

Apr 28, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #3,416 of 12,540
The Norne Draug3 just arrived... beautifully built, Oyaide 1/4" to the Dave and Oyaide 3.5mm connectors to the Clear.
I call it "The Energizer", with both my Ether C Flow and now Clear this cable seem to inject life in the music. IMO it's about the best a pure copper cable can offer...

IMG_0250.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 28, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #3,417 of 12,540
I've just bought the Audio‑Technica ATH‑DSR9BT headphones for the gym,apparently the best Bluetooth headphone out there and new technology no other headphone has,my heimdall 2 headphone cable costs more than these headphones but I'm sure they will be more than enough for the gym

Apr 29, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #3,418 of 12,540
The Norne Draug3 just arrived... beautifully built, Oyaide 1/4" to the Dave and Oyaide 3.5mm connectors to the Clear.
I call it "The Energizer", with both my Ether C Flow and now Clear this cable seem to inject life in the music. IMO it's about the best a pure copper cable can offer...

Nice looking cable! Your picture actually looks better than they ones on manufacturer site... :)

What are your impressions on sound over the stock cable?
Regards

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #3,419 of 12,540
Anyone tried 3rd party cables with the Clear?

As an experiment, I made my own DIY silver + copper cable (obviously not as good as a hifgh-end cable) and it makes the bass slam a little bit extra. But it's a small difference so I'm not sure if it worth trying to tweak the Clear a bit with a high-end cables if the Clear isn't so sensitive to cables.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #3,420 of 12,540
@doraymon... Beautiful cable. That's exactly the cable I'm considering for my Clears (which will be here in one week )

@ubs28... Thank you for asking the question I've been wanting an answer to for weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back