Focal Clear headphones
Jan 23, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #2,056 of 12,543
Finally caved in and ordered the Clears... The auditions at the local dealer (x3) just impressed me too much to pass on these. Should get them around the end of the month/beginning of next month. It looks like demand is outstripping supply right now just like when the Elear/Utopia were initially released. They´ll be going up against my trusty HD 800 S. Time will tell which one will be staying (or both; that´s my guess right now if I had to predict).

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #2,057 of 12,543
Finally caved in and ordered the Clears... The auditions at the local dealer (x3) just impressed me too much to pass on these. Should get them around the end of the month/beginning of next month. It looks like demand is outstripping supply right now just like when the Elear/Utopia were initially released. They´ll be going up against my trusty HD 800 S. Time will tell which one will be staying (or both; that´s my guess right now if I had to predict).

Look forward to reading your impressions, in my case the Clears won the day, vanquishing mine to the FS Thread.

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #2,058 of 12,543
The 800S are so much fun with the seperation of instruments. I sold mine but miss them. Just not as much bass as the Clears.

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #2,059 of 12,543
Yeah the clear sounds to me with more body. 800(s) to me sounds highly damped as well, but Clear doesn't sound like the presense region has as much of a boost. 800(s) sounds like the boosted treble band is wider with high damping. Whereas the Clear's treble peak is narrower, but it is there, just that presense is not felt as much due to this. So there are tonality difference due to the treble difference of both.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #2,060 of 12,543

I caved, too. They should arrive on Monday.

Jan 23, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #2,061 of 12,543
The 800S are so much fun with the seperation of instruments. I sold mine but miss them. Just not as much bass as the Clears.
I'll take better bass over better soundstage any day of the week. :L3000:

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #2,062 of 12,543
I'll take better bass over better soundstage any day of the week. :L3000:

I’m the same way about tone, the hollow tonality of the HD800 was finally it for me. The Clear is close in detail, is more dynamic and has better bass.

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #2,064 of 12,543
I'd be interested to hear about the amps you Clear owners are using with your headphones. I love my HA-1, but am also thinking about downsizing in that department a bit since the Clear is so easy to drive. What have you got and how do you like the pairing?

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #2,065 of 12,543
What type of amp are you all using? I’m using Hugo2 and Sennheiser HDV820... listening to SZA “The Weekend” and I get soooo much bass when using HD800S.. I can literally feel deep vibrations to my neck and shoulders.

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #2,067 of 12,543
Jan 23, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #2,068 of 12,543
Jan 24, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #2,069 of 12,543
They´ll be going up against my trusty HD 800 S.
I don't feel these headphones should even be compared. The only thing they have in common is their price point, otherwise their 2 totally different sounding headphones, and the Clear is much easier to drive than the 800S, so I can see people believing the 800S lacking in some areas for those without adequate systems to drive them to their potential.

Jan 24, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #2,070 of 12,543
Not exaggerating at all.. I’m not feeling “I need more base” but I can understand if someone else does..

I love my HD 800 S, but as typical for an open dynamic driver design it does roll off the sub bass... Have you tried a high end planar magnetic? It would need a planar like sub bass extension to be more tonally balanced as the treble is emphasized in quantity and extremely extended. The Clear is objectively better in both quantity and distortion levels in this regard (source: InnerFidelity measurements, Clear vs. HD 800 S). This is also in my experience subjectively very audible when listening to genres like electronica etc.

That being said, I´d consider it a miracle if the HD 820 doesn´t substantially improve the bass performance (and with it the tonality) as it should be much easier to achieve in a closed design.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back