Focal Clear headphones
Jan 1, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #1,471 of 12,540
Approaching 100 hours and I find the Clears sound great and are enjoyable at much lower volumes that other headphones I have or had. That's a big plus.

That is a good point...I have noticed this as well. It is a great all-arounder because I can use it for "passive" listening at lower volumes and it still extracts a bunch of detail and is very well-balanced.

Jan 1, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #1,472 of 12,540
‘BEryllium’ dynamic driver which is the core of focal technology is very interesting. It seems to be the core of focal clear and transparent sound.

I see some more manufacturers may try to utilize this material in a near future.

Jan 1, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #1,473 of 12,540
‘BEryllium’ dynamic driver which is the core of focal technology is very interesting. It seems to be the core of focal clear and transparent sound.

I see some more manufacturers may try to utilize this material in a near future.

Uh... they do. Quite a few do.

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #1,474 of 12,540

Just to be Clear (yes of course that pun is intended)- the Focal Clear does not use Beryllium drivers like the big brother Utopia.

This does not make the Clear a mere peasant among the king ha. The Clear has no issue holding its own among fantastic headphones (hd800, hd800s, HE1,) (ok totally joking about the last one :wink: )

Utilizing beryllium seems to be the huge payoff in regards to the Utopia’s speed though. To my ears it’s exceptional! I also would LOVE to hear more companies not only use the material but try and get as close to the Utopias SQ as well (You can put a turbo engine on a shopping cart, but how will it handle?) so Focal is more then capable of knowing what to do with the material and major kudos for that.

Transparency is definitely the name of the game with the Focal Clear/Utopia. You are spot on with that.

Jan 2, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #1,475 of 12,540

My home monitors have berylium twiiters, now that I know they sound a lot better to me ...

IMG_1092.JPG

Only recently on this forums I was aware of the beryllium danger, I was afraid of approaching them but then I noticed the beryllium is locked inside a cage.

Jan 2, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #1,476 of 12,540
Paulo, how are the Clears from your Fiio X7ii?

Very good. Using it with AM5 which has a bit more stamina than the stock AM3A (SE), maybe because of that it sounds a bit warmer? But to be honest, I'm listening Clear 90% of the time at home with Questyle dac/amp, didn't give AM5 much workout, yet ...

Jan 2, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #1,477 of 12,540
My home monitors have berylium twiiters, now that I know they sound a lot better to me ...

Only recently on this forums I was aware of the beryllium danger, I was afraid of approaching them but then I noticed the beryllium is locked inside a cage.

Be careful, Beryllium is known to escape its cage and attack. It has happened to many places around the world.

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #1,478 of 12,540
Very good. Using it with AM5 which has a bit more stamina than the stock AM3A (SE), maybe because of that it sounds a bit warmer? But to be honest, I'm listening Clear 90% of the time at home with Questyle dac/amp, didn't give AM5 much workout, yet ...
I listen to the Clear with the FiiO X7ii most nights, both out of the AM3A and the Chord Mojo. Lovely, engaging SQ.
I'm considering an Amp/DAC for home use, but haven't decided what to buy, and the SQ from the X7ii and the Chord Mojo is so good I don't feel the urgency to buy anything right now.

Ceers

A

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #1,479 of 12,540
I listen to the Clear with the FiiO X7ii most nights, both out of the AM3A and the Chord Mojo. Lovely, engaging SQ.
I'm considering an Amp/DAC for home use, but haven't decided what to buy, and the SQ from the X7ii and the Chord Mojo is so good I don't feel the urgency to buy anything right now.

Ceers

A
That’s a really great feeling isn’t it??

Since the top 3 in the Focal line is so easy to drive (Elear,Clear and Utopia) it makes it that much easier to be more then content with any of those headphone + a Mojo... and as @TSAVJason would say that combo “doesn’t suck”

Jan 3, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #1,480 of 12,540

Since the top 3 in the Focal line is so easy to drive (Elear,Clear and Utopia) it makes it that much easier to be more then content with any of those headphone + a Mojo... and as @TSAVJason would say that combo “doesn’t suck”

Hahahahaha nope! Doesn’t suck at all :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 3, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #1,481 of 12,540
Cheers

Yep, have very good feedback from Mojo. How about power, much more headroom compared to Fiio AM3A no?

Chord Mojo specs say 35 mW with 600 ohms loaded and 720 mW @ 8 ohms, FiiO AM3A is 25 mW @ 300 ohms and 190 mW @ 32 ohms so I guess Mojo has double the power @ 55 ohms? AM3A is a bit "weak" for Clear, its more an IEM amp

I got AM5 for mobility and a desktop amp for home with a balanced 4 pin XLR output and DAC function - I am pleased with my options.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #1,482 of 12,540
Yep, have very good feedback from Mojo. How about power, much more headroom compared to Fiio AM3A no?

Chord Mojo specs say 35 mW with 600 ohms loaded and 720 mW @ 8 ohms, FiiO AM3A is 25 mW @ 300 ohms and 190 mW @ 32 ohms so I guess Mojo has double the power @ 55 ohms? AM3A is a bit "weak" for Clear, its more an IEM amp

I got AM5 for mobility and a desktop amp for home with a balanced 4 pin XLR output and DAC function - I am pleased with my options.

Also, the Mojo has a Current delivery of 500mA, while the AM3A has a max Current output of 150mA. Depending on the headphone this will make a difference. AM5 has a Current delivery of 250mA.

Jan 3, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #1,484 of 12,540
Jan 3, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #1,485 of 12,540

Doesn't suck at all

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back