Focal Clear headphones
Nov 24, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #736 of 12,543
Just returned the 800S , audeze 3 will be here mon. Never ending journey.. If they dont work im buyng some $500 cans and be done for awhile.
I hear you! The HD650 is still the best for me when it comes to enjoying listening to music.

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #737 of 12,543
B14191F7-4584-48B6-9B84-470D75B64051.jpeg
Now I can say, Undoubtedly, absolutely, ultimately... the best I've heard on head gear, ever !!!

Nov 24, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #738 of 12,543
After a few days with the Clear’s I decided they are going back to Amazon, my headphone collection covers my needs and really no place for the Clear. Overall enjoyable headphone, just prefer what I already have much more.

Nov 24, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #741 of 12,543
Those of you that returned them, it would be helpful to others on here if you give some more detail on why you decided to do so. Not to pinpoint on Hydrored but comments like "no place for the Clear" and "just prefer what I already have much more" does not really help. I know in the end that we should make our decisions with our own ears but it's still helpful to hear your experiences in greater detail, both good and bad.

Nov 24, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #742 of 12,543
My second, way to early impressions on the Clears, first, even with what I consider to be a bright, thin amp (the original iDSD Nano) I’m unable in getting them to sound as thin as the HD800. Head stage, not as wide as the HD800, but equal too, or perhaps a smidgin greater depth. Tonality, heads and shoulders better than the HD800, easier to drive, better looking, detail monsters without offensive brightness or fatigue.

I’ll let them cook overnight and move to the big tomorrow. All of my listening today was on my iPad/iDSD Nano, or Fiio X7, Amp 3 (SE output), oh, and give the Wailin’ Jennys, “40 Days”, track “Arlington” for some goosebumps.

Nov 24, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #743 of 12,543
Those of you that returned them, it would be helpful to others on here if you give some more detail on why you decided to do so. Not to pinpoint on Hydrored but comments like "no place for the Clear" and "just prefer what I already have much more" does not really help. I know in the end that we should make our decisions with our own ears but it's still helpful to hear your experiences in greater detail, both good and bad.
You don't list an amp in your inventory. These are very sensitive to upstream components.
I alluded to my basic issue in my post. For my ears, they are very fatiguing. They are very good phones and I can completely see how a lot of people will love these. They are impactful and exciting but for my taste, they push all the wrong buttons. To my ears they are thin and wiry with a shouty midrange. There is possibly too much separation and depth such that they lack coherence. In the end, they just don’t seem natural or musical. For $1500.00 they need to knock me out but time after time, I switch back to the HD650 and think ahhhh, that’s just right. Hope that helps.
And I do list an amp, the Simaudio Moon 230HAD which has paired well with a variety of phones.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #744 of 12,543
I now have over 50+ hours on HD800 and Clear and the sound is, to my surprise, changing quite a bit (be it physically or in my mind). HD800 began as a distant sounding, tinny, veiled sound to now a much more fuller dynamic sound. Clear was at first very wild with dynamic bass and mids, near fatiguing (but full body sound) which is now turning more cohesive and helping to bring a sense of soundstage. I like Clear in that the sound signature is closer to my Stax SRS3100. Differences being much stronger lower bass and slightly less treble extension for Clear.

Nov 25, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #745 of 12,543
I alluded to my basic issue in my post. For my ears, they are very fatiguing. They are very good phones and I can completely see how a lot of people will love these. They are impactful and exciting but for my taste, they push all the wrong buttons. To my ears they are thin and wiry with a shouty midrange. There is possibly too much separation and depth such that they lack coherence. In the end, they just don’t seem natural or musical. For $1500.00 they need to knock me out but time after time, I switch back to the HD650 and think ahhhh, that’s just right. Hope that helps.
And I do list an amp, the Simaudio Moon 230HAD which has paired well with a variety of phones.
Thank you very much donlin. I hope you or anyone else didn't take any offence to my post. Any bit of information you all give is helpful and thanks for coming back and giving the extra detail to help us understand your decision to return them.

Nov 25, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #746 of 12,543

The Clear is a great headphone, I just prefer the Utopia over them. In listening to the HEK, Utopia, and Clear, I found myself wanting the Utopia every time. Would I recommend the Clear? Yes I would. Focal did a much better job on the accessories and “creaking” found in the Utopias is non-existent. My answer stays the same, I’m returning them due to prefering the Utopia’s in every way.

Nov 25, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #747 of 12,543
I now have over 50+ hours on HD800 and Clear and the sound is, to my surprise, changing quite a bit (be it physically or in my mind). HD800 began as a distant sounding, tinny, veiled sound to now a much more fuller dynamic sound. Clear was at first very wild with dynamic bass and mids, near fatiguing (but full body sound) which is now turning more cohesive and helping to bring a sense of soundstage. I like Clear in that the sound signature is closer to my Stax SRS3100. Differences being much stronger lower bass and slightly less treble extension for Clear.
Your comments are very interesting to me because the HD800 has been a long time favourite of mine. I actually like them with any genre of music I listen too, which goes against what some people say about how it does not work well with EDM for example.

I really look forward to hearing more of your comments. What you have said so far is very interesting to someone like me that has the HD800 and is now considering adding to the collection with the Clear. However, I do know that I will never sell my HD800 like many have done only to want to buy another one again later.

Nov 25, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #748 of 12,543
The Clear is a great headphone, I just prefer the Utopia over them. In listening to the HEK, Utopia, and Clear, I found myself wanting the Utopia every time. Would I recommend the Clear? Yes I would. Focal did a much better job on the accessories and “creaking” found in the Utopias is non-existent. My answer stays the same, I’m returning them due to prefering the Utopia’s in every way.
Thanks a lot Hydrored. What car is that in your avatar?

Which part of the Utopia makes it such a clear winner over all your other headphones, especially over the Clear? I have had a chance to hear the Utopia at the HP shop so I will try to use that experience as a reference frame around your response. Have you heard the HD800 before? If so, would you be able to comment on how the Clear compares to the HD800 from what you remember?

I'll have to admit, the accessories does have an impact on the attractiveness of purchasing the Clear.

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #749 of 12,543
Your comments are very interesting to me because the HD800 has been a long time favourite of mine. I actually like them with any genre of music I listen too, which goes against what some people say about how it does not work well with EDM for example.

I really look forward to hearing more of your comments. What you have said so far is very interesting to someone like me that has the HD800 and is now considering adding to the collection with the Clear. However, I do know that I will never sell my HD800 like many have done only to want to buy another one again later.
If you like the HD800 there’s a good chance you will love Clear. They have a lot in common. I have owned the HD800 twice and also the HD800S. Between the Clear, 800 and 800s, I would pick 800S as the warmest and most enjoyable.
Also, not sure about “creaking” but my Clear headband made constant audible clicking sounds with the slightest head movement. It was pretty annoying.

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #750 of 12,543
If you like the HD800 there’s a good chance you will love Clear. They have a lot in common. I have owned the HD800 twice and also the HD800S. Between the Clear, 800 and 800s, I would pick 800S as the warmest and most enjoyable.
Also, not sure about “creaking” but my Clear headband made constant audible clicking sounds with the slightest head movement. It was pretty annoying.
Thanks donlin! This is good to hear. I can't wait to try out the Clear. I will be pairing it up with my ifi iDSD Black Label. It is really an amazing little machine. I like it so much that I now use it at home in addition to on the go and at work. The BL version adds a little warmth to the sound compared to the original SE version.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back